The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Rollerball/gel Ink Refill For Cross Ballpoint?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 yoyoplay

yoyoplay

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2011 - 22:52

I have been looking high and low for this. I have a Cross Ballpoint that I love, but I like the feel of Rollerball/Gel Ink a lot more. Is there anyway I can buy one or even convert one?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Content

#2 kaissa

kaissa

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2011 - 19:15

I have been looking high and low for this. I have a Cross Ballpoint that I love, but I like the feel of Rollerball/Gel Ink a lot more. Is there anyway I can buy one or even convert one?

You are out of luck:

http://www.fountainp..._1#entry1436959

C-series and Edge have rollerballs that look like a ballpoint but use gel Selectip refills. Other than you are limited to the above link.

Regards,
Verba volant, littera scripta manet.

#3 stuartk

stuartk

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2011 - 12:27

You might want to try a Monteverde Softroll ballpoint refill. They are very smooth and free-flowing for a ballpoint, so maybe they'd be close enough to the feel you're looking for.

I do have to mention that I bought a couple of 2-packs of their refills and had mixed results. The blue and blue-black refills I tried wrote well at first, but then started skipping and blobbing after a couple of weeks. I gave my brother the 2 remaining refills to try, and he's had no problem with either one.

#4 Frank_ie

Frank_ie

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 16:30

Cross ball point refill tip measures 1.91mm...smaller than most gel ink refill. Boring out the hole is possible but you still have to deal with the small refill diameter at 3mm. Extra refill length is modifiable easily and the reusable screw plastic end easily twists off... I have been searching for years for donor candidates and had long given up. 

The only option is indeed using the Monteverde low viscosity ink refill. see...: http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item565633b62e But the quality is inconsistent and still skips and blobs.

The new Cross-Click using rollerball type refills and looks almost the same as the Century. I am waiting for a Century II version with higher grade metal work.

#5 highlander1307

highlander1307

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:43

I am using the Cross Ballpoint Refills #8100 Blue Broad and #8101 Black Broad.  Very smooth and puts down a lot of ink!  Actually now prefer them to the Gel Rollerball and gone back to the Cross Ballpoint after many, many years.  Also trying the Monteverde refills.

#6 Frank_ie

Frank_ie

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:39

I had the Blue Broad as recommended by a local pen shop...said it was smoother than the old ones. It was smoother all right...but still cannot match a typical gel refill

I had long given up on Cross.

#7 dbls

dbls

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2015 - 00:58

I'm new here, but have seen a lot of people ask about a gel refill for Cross bp pens, and I have figured out a solution if anyone is interested, let me know. I actually use 4 different ink gel refills that will fit a variety of pens from Monte Blanc to Cross etc.

#8 LWW

LWW

Half fast writer.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:16

I'm new here, but have seen a lot of people ask about a gel refill for Cross bp pens, and I have figured out a solution if anyone is interested, let me know. I actually use 4 different ink gel refills that will fit a variety of pens from Monte Blanc to Cross etc.

Talk to us.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ..."

#9 inotrym

inotrym

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:06

I 'd be interested too!

#10 kaysguy

kaysguy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2015 - 15:49

C'mon, tell us what it is!

#11 LWW

LWW

Half fast writer.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:27

PLEASE!

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed ..."

#12 achalgupta889

achalgupta889

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:37

Talk to us.

Hi i have been looking the alternative refill for cross century II for long time........can please someone advise which is the best alternative to fit in the pen...

#13 Donald2

Donald2

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 November 2017 - 22:07

Hi i have been looking the alternative refill for cross century II for long time........can please someone advise which is the best alternative to fit in the pen...

The Century II is a rollerball that can also take a Cross ballpoint or a felt tip refill. I use the Cross medium point black, blue or purple rollerball refills in mine. The Cross rollerball refills are really nice and the medium writes wet like a fountain pen and dries quickly. They are excellent writers.

#14 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 22:10

You can carve other brands to fit Cross rollerballs, but a rollerball in a ballpoint is another matter.

Best of luck.

#15 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 22:11

Hopefully your ballpoint isn't that skinny silver thing that I probably have lost 15 of them in my life, those that stayed are tarnished...  :D

Sponsored Content

|