I'm a long time lover of J. Herbin Perle Noire. However, ever since I saw Platinum Carbon Black survive a water test with remarkable clarity, I've been trying to decide which waterproof or bulletproof ink to obtain or if I can live with "still kinda legible" after the water spill.
Recently I obtained (in a trade thank you very much!) a bottle of Noodler's Old Manhattan Black which seems to be waterproof as opposed to bulletproof. I got some ink samples: Noodler's Black, Platinum Black, Platinum Carbon Black (PCB), Sailor Jentle Black, Sailor Kiwa-Guro Nano Black. Among my inks I also have some pre-Slovenia Sheaffer Skrip Black.
First photo is of the inks with coffee-cup coffee stains. Second photo is after a 1-hour water soaking.
If not going with a waterproof ink, I guess the question is how much ink spreading one is willing to live with should an accident occur.
It seems to me that Noodler's Black holds up as well as PCB and Sailor Kiwa-Guro. I'm going to see how my pen that loves PCB loves Noodler's Black. If it does, the latter is a better economical choice for me.
I also obsessively gathered up links to other scans of black inks and water testing. I share these with you—one obsessive pen person to another. Please, if you have other links to add, I hope you will list them in this thread! Edited to add: The list below is not all black ink links. The links reflect my own interests.
- Complete List of Waterproof Inks - pinned in Inky Thoughts 'Noteworthy Ink Topics'
- Water Resistance by mstone - very good "primer" on inks and water resistance. JH Poussiere de Lune as example.
- Washing Machine outcome (Refers to Noodler's Black but only shows Noodler's Brown #41)
- BulletProof from now on: (Noodler's Old Manhattan Black & Waterman Black)
- Basic Chemical Resistance: Noodler's Black, Sailor Kiwa-Guro Nano Black
- List of 21 Black Inks (no testing, just color samples)
- Caran d'Ache Carbon Black
- Diamine Jet Black, J. Herbin Perle Noire, Platinum Carbon Black, Private Reserve Velvet Black: here
- Levenger Raven Black, Noodler's Black: a fading test (deep in the thread)
- Noodler's Black, Pelikan Black, Montblanc Black, Noodler's Heart of Darkness: here
- Noodler's Dark Matter & Heart of Darkness
- Noodler's Old Manhattan Black - paper towel test
- Noodler's Polar Black vs Pelikan Blue-Black
- Parker Quink Black
- Pilot/Namiki Black and Noodler's Black: here
- Sheaffer Skrip Black - pre-Slovenia
- Visconti, Aurora and Omas Blacks: here
- Waterman Black, Viva Black, Noodler's Black, Sailor Kiwa-Guro Nano Black: here
- De Atramentis: Graphic Black
- Diamine Jet Black
- Diamine Oynx
- Hero Black
- Hero Carbon Black
- J. Herbin Perle Noire
- Noodler's Bulletproof Black
- Noodler's Borealis Black (resistant)
- Noodler's Dark Matter (resistance which increases over time)
- Noodler's Heart of Darkness
- Noodler's Old Manhattan Black (waterproof)
- Noodler's Swisher's Niles Ebony (waterproof)
- Parker Quink Black ("Permanent")
- Parker Quink Black ("Washable")
- Parker Quink Black (vintage/1940's)
- Pelikan Brilliant Black
- Pelikan Edelstein Onyx
- Platinum Black
- Platinum Carbon Black
- PR Velvet Black
- Sailor Black
- Sailor Kiwa-Guro Nano Carbon
- Visconti Black
Edited by jde, 13 April 2011 - 11:46.