The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Edison Hudson

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 unclebrat

unclebrat

Sleeping Peacefully

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:51

Hello Everyone,

I have just received my new Edison Hudson in Emerald with an 18 kt. fine nib. There are no photos as my brother is using my camera. Photos can be found at the Goulet Pen Company website (no affiliation, as usual).

This pen is just under 5.5 inches when capped and 5 inches uncapped. It is 6.75 inches when posted and 0.5625 in. at maximum girth. Steel or gold nibs are available. The clip is understated and is fashioned of rhodium. The pen writes with a generous line and flow. I was surprised, as Waterman Florida Blue is not the most free-flowing ink in the world.

This pen's appearance is enhanced by the subtle shading in the resin. No, I promise not to say "precious resin". The texture is very silky.

Brian Gray has done an excellent job with this pen and is to be congratulated.
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

Sponsored Content

#2 GouletPens

GouletPens

Write On!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2011 - 20:08

Awesome! We're so glad you like it. Here are some pics for those that are interested:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Sapphire2010

Sapphire2010

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:17

Nice review. I just got mine today. Mine is Ruby with broad steel nib. Here are some pictures I took. I agree with you about Brian Gray should be congratulated for an excellent craftsmanship. For size comparison I placed my Edison Hudson, EN cappuccino, Lamy Studio and Platinum Music nib pen. posted pens.jpg pen comparison.jpg

#4 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:18

SO GORGEOUS! That green is just SPEAKING to me! BUY ME BUY ME!

How secure is the cap on the back when posted? Nice and tight or kind of just there?

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#5 WendyNC

WendyNC

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:22

Brian Goulet, will you be at the Raleigh show in June and will you have these with you for sale there? Thanks!
I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

#6 Essensia

Essensia

In it for the ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:11

I received mine today as well, in ruby, and I agree with all that unclebrat and Sapphire 2010 said. It writes soooooo smoothly with wonderful flow. Very comfortable in the hand. The ruby has an iridescence and depth that's absolutely lovely. There is very subtle engraving on the barrel that says EDISON PEN CO. on the first line, HUDSON on the second line. I'm not able to capture the engraving with my phone camera. The nib sports the Edison logo, and unfortunately I cannot photograph that, either.

Here are the photos I managed, if you can stand the fuzziness. :)

Presentation box (that's an extra nib I ordered):

Posted Image

Trying to capture some of the iridescence:

Posted Image

Size comparison, left to right: Pelikan M205, Parker "51", MB 145, Pilot VP, Lamy Safari, TWSBI Diamond 530, Edison Nouveau Premiere, Edison Hudson.

Posted Image

Uncapped, minus the VP:

Posted Image

A nice wet line:

Posted Image

#7 ralfstc

ralfstc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:12

Hello,

How does the pen fill?

Thanks,

Ralf

#8 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:45

cart, converter, or as an eyedropper

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#9 ralfstc

ralfstc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:17

Hmmm, very cool! International cartridges?

Ralf

#10 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2011 - 13:34

yes

#11 Essensia

Essensia

In it for the ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2011 - 15:12

SO GORGEOUS! That green is just SPEAKING to me! BUY ME BUY ME!

How secure is the cap on the back when posted? Nice and tight or kind of just there?

Nice and tight. Didn't want to answer until I had written with it posted for a little while to see if it loosened.

For what it's worth, although it's perfect unposted, it's a large pen and is uncomfortably top-heavy to me when posted. (For reference, my hands are large for a woman, 7 inches from base of palm to tip of middle finger.)

I'm loving writing with and looking at this pen. So smooth and elegant. Wonderful value. I don't think you'll regret it if you heed that BUY ME BUY ME voice.

#12 J_Rock

J_Rock

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2011 - 22:27

I have to get one! Thanks por the review and others for the pictures. This is going to eat me alive till I get my hands on one or two of these.

#13 xuan87

xuan87

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2011 - 00:21

whoa that doesn't look like a B nib...
Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

#14 nightwing

nightwing

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:42

I just purchased one of these in black. Can't wait! :)

#15 liapuyat

liapuyat

Pelikan Fan

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:21

I want the Emerald one! *drool*
"Luxe, calme et volupte"

#16 GouletPens

GouletPens

Write On!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 April 2011 - 23:45

The reviews so far have been positive from everyone I've heard from. I actually just got in one of each of the Hudsons for myself and will be posting a 'first impression' video that Rachel and I did together soon on our blog. It is a pretty large pen, with good weight but not what I'd call 'heavy'. It feels very solid and is of course up to par with everything you'd expect from Brian Gray.

As for the writing, the nib sizes are exactly the same as the Edison Nouveau Premieres, as well as all of Brian's other steel nibs: fine is about .5mm, medium is about .625mm, and broad is about .8mm. Here's a writing sample of the nibs (says Edison Nouveau, but they're the exact same nibs on the Hudson as well):

Posted Image

#17 inkydoc

inkydoc

Can I sign in purple?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:09

I've asked Santa for an Emerald one for Christmas ... well, gave my hubby the details to get one for me;
but ended up placing the order myself because he knows better than to get the details of the custom nib (XXF cursive italic) wrong! :P
“My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.” - Jack Layton.

Sponsored Content

|