Perfect Travelling Ink Bottle?

stefanv

I've been using the Nalgene bottles, which work just fine for FPs (especially for filling c/c pens, with or without syringes), but Tuesday I ordered a solid brass, screw-top inkwell from Paper & Ink Arts for my dip pens. (http://www.paperinkarts.com/mtlwel---gld.html) A little heavy (7oz.) and it might cause a little concern going through airport security, but it's not likely the little sucker will break or get squashed accidentally in my briefcase or shoulder bag.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stefanv

• Cepasaccus

• Inka

• Cedric T

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Nalgene 1/2 oz clear bottle caps.

Please be very careful not to snug these caps too tightly, because the crown on this cap has a tendency to crack & separate from its threaded part. At least it did (20 years ago, now) when we used these small Nalgenes to store camping spices.

Then, the bottle & cap were made of two differing plastics, with the cap being a clear, more brittle material.

My bottles are 5, at most 6-7-8 years old and no problem . As far as looks and feelings are concerned, the bottles and caps are both made out iof the same material, same density. I can screw on the caps as tight as I want, nothing happens, and I can then unscrew the cap with the same ease.

IMO all plastics can become old-aged.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I've been using the Nalgene bottles, which work just fine for FPs (especially for filling c/c pens, with or without syringes), but Tuesday I ordered a solid brass, screw-top inkwell from Paper & Ink Arts for my dip pens. (http://www.paperinkarts.com/mtlwel---gld.html) A little heavy (7oz.) and it might cause a little concern going through airport security, but it's not likely the little sucker will break or get squashed accidentally in my briefcase or shoulder bag.

Those are certainly nice looking. But that price.... :yikes:

Too rich for my blood. One of these is about twice the price of my most expensive pen. For that matter, they're more expensive than the craft storage cubes with drawers that Michaels has on sale this week -- and the *regular* price of those is, IIRC, only about $40 US....

Also, do those have any sort of seal or gasketl in the lid? I'd worry that a) they'd come open, and B) I'd over-tighten them and scrape metal shavings into my ink -- and that is something that couldn't possibly be good for FP feeds.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

For travelling, I would rather use a keychain pill fob made for Nitroglycerin Pill bottle. You can get them in stainless or in ABS plastic. Fully waterproof and could take abuse. I use one in ABS for my Ibuprofen liqui-gel. ABS one cost around 3 buck each.

http://www.usasalesweb.com/pillfob/media/plasticClr.jpg

This looks like a good one. With a big-nib pen, however, one

might access only half of the ink. Still, I like it. Never

seen ABS. My drug store only has stainless steel. Airtight

from the big rubber O-ring. :thumbup:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I've been using the Nalgene bottles, which work just fine for FPs (especially for filling c/c pens, with or without syringes), but Tuesday I ordered a solid brass, screw-top inkwell from Paper & Ink Arts for my dip pens. (http://www.paperinka...lwel---gld.html) A little heavy (7oz.) and it might cause a little concern going through airport security, but it's not likely the little sucker will break or get squashed accidentally in my briefcase or shoulder bag.

Those are certainly nice looking. But that price.... :yikes:

Too rich for my blood. One of these is about twice the price of my most expensive pen. For that matter, they're more expensive than the craft storage cubes with drawers that Michaels has on sale this week -- and the *regular* price of those is, IIRC, only about $40 US....

Also, do those have any sort of seal or gasketl in the lid? I'd worry that a) they'd come open, and B) I'd over-tighten them and scrape metal shavings into my ink -- and that is something that couldn't possibly be good for FP feeds.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

There is a sturdy looking plastic seal inside the lid. (The one I ordered arrived about a half hour ago.) I haven't had time to check for leakage, - I doubt there will be any - but I suspect a little silicone grease on the threads would take care of things if there is; the threads are pretty well cut. I didn't bother to measure, but it looks like it should hold a bit over a 1/4 ounce.

It is heavy for such a wee thing - nearly half a pound - with much of the weight in its bottom. (Say the magic word "Kardashian.") It will difficult to accidentally tip over.

Addendum: The mouth is wide, but the vessel itself is not very deep, great for dip pens, but probably not the best choice for big nibbed piston fillers. Of course, how often do those things need a fill up?

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the glass bottle from the beginning of the post. I used to use them but the thin paper seal would break down and the ink would seep into the threads and dry there making it nearly impossible to open. I tried replacing it with foam from an egg carton but eventually gave up on using them as carry vials.

I now carry a wee faceted ink bottle with a plastic inner cap that press fits into the neck of the bottle and then is covered by an outer screw cap. I got it in a art calligraphy writing kit (mini kit) series from Barnes and Noble. It contained the glass ink well, a tiny nib holder, and a dip nib. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/home-gift-art-calligraphy/12917703. It seems they no longer sell it new.

I can get a converter of ink in it but I usually end up filling a syringe and using that the fill the converter from the bottle. When I say it is a wee bottle I do mean that. There is no way a nib would fit into this bottle.

"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"

Problem is that I really want this gadget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPcLjXWn6R8

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hello all,

I suppose it depends on how long you'll be traveling, but as a budget move and adequate for my needs most trips, how about the 7 ml sample bottles the Goulets sell (and themselves use) at 10 for $2.49? Given that the converters on my pens hold about 0.7 ml (tops), each sample vial holds let's say 8 (to be conservative) refills. Unbreakable, tightly fitting cap (though I also put them in a zip lock bag as an early poster recommended). http://www.gouletpens.com/Empty_Ink_Vials_p/inkvials.htm

Throw in a pair of syringes to fill the vials for another 5 bucks. Cheaper than Nalgene. http://www.gouletpens.com/Goulet_5ml_Ink_Syringe_Set_p/inksyringe.htm

HTH.

Marc

When you say "black" to a printer in "big business" the word is almost meaningless, so innumerable are its meanings. To the craftsman, on the other hand, black is simply the black he makes --- the word is crammed with meaning: he knows the stuff as well as he knows his own hand. --- Eric Gill

Obligatory mention of the Visconti Traveling Ink Pot - I use one myself and the cap is nice and tight (that doesn't stop me from putting it in a ziplock bag though). :glare:

I bought one of these while I was in the US and it came in very handy. It's easy to use. +1 vote for the Visconti Ink Pot. (I put mine in a zip lock bag too. :thumbup: )

I just bought my second Visconti Traveling Ink Pot from Fountain Pen Hospital for $59.00. That seems to be their regular price for these little wonders. Not affiliated... yada yada.

The RavenLunatic

Semper insanit omnes tempore.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 2 weeks later...

The small vial do leak slowly. So after a weak or so carrying one around there might come ink out from under the cap. Not the best solution.

Another useful re-purposed item. I use a metal Pill container (or plastic)

that you can get at any pharmacy for next to nothing. It has is own rubber

gasket so no leakage and it hold enough ink to refill a FP at least twice.

Just another item serving a dual purpose.

American Science and Surplus has these:

Quarter-Ounce Bottles

Clear glass bottles. All rectangular, all hold 1/4 oz, and all measure 2-1/6" tall x 1" wide x 7/8” thick, with a 5/16" ID mouth. You pick a gasketed plastic screw cap in yellow or translucent white.

$3.50 PKG(10)

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/7/category/78

And in the "Plastic Bottles and Jars" section, there are LOADS of possible wee gasketed jars for not much cash...

Edited by 2GreyCats

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

I am a Nalgene bottle fan also.

M

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone tried the TWSBI inkwells? The Visconti is like $70 and the TWSBI is $30. From what I have seen, half the price, and a whole lot more capacity.

I bought a TWSVI VAC-20 inkwell (the new version) and it leaked on a flight. Fortunately, I had taken the precaution of sealing it in a snap lock bag, so no harm was done.

Can't recommend it.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

I travel with only carry on luggage and the Visconti traveling inkwell is leak proof, meets the airline liquid limits and is more than just a container. Its method of filling ( once you learn how it works) is clean and ensures no spillage. I fly with pens empty and fill once I arrive at hotel.

It's pricey but if you travel a lot with FP it's worth it.