The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sheaffer Pfm Iii Fp & Bp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 soapytwist

soapytwist

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 22:27

I have only owned PFMs in the last couple of years, although I always knew I wanted one; it was only when the opportunity to buy one at the right price came along that I joined the club. I bought the ballpoint soon after as part of an Imperial IV set - I'm not sure whether there was a specific BP and MP for the PFM (maybe someone can update me), but it certainly looks similar to the pens in PFM sets that I've seen. It looks close enough for me anyway!

Posted Image

I love the PFM, and I can completely understand why they are sought after. Apart from their snorkel fillers, they aren't made that differently from their Imperial counterparts, but the difference is in the ergonomics and the looks of the pen. They are wonderful to hold and write with, and I particularly like the bulbous shape of the cap on the all-plastic PFMs.

Posted Image

The ballpoint bears hardly any resemblance to the fountain pen; it has lost the looks and size in comparison, and it feels extraordinarily thin if you pick it up after the PFM. Only the clip and the colour really give you any feeling that the pens are related. Thankfully when Sheaffer released the Legacy, they beefed up the size of the other pens to match the FP.

Posted Image

The ballpoint is clip-actuated, and the action is very definite. I would imagine, however, that the clips on well-used pens must be very worn! It is also a very light pen to the point of being insubstantial - even a Parker Jotter has more weight to it.

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Sponsored Content

#2 kuno

kuno

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:33

Beautiful! How well does it write?

#3 Hugh200au

Hugh200au

Hugh

• Away
  • 1,436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:11

Nice find, I enjoy my PFM. On the ballpoint I'm of the understanding it's not specifically a "PFM" bp, just a ballpoint sold with the PFM as well as other models...I guess "generic" to some degree.

Regards
Hugh

#4 greencobra

greencobra

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:51

Ahhh soapy, you've done it again!! :notworthy1: Beautiful set for sure and speaking of PFM, one of my all time favs now. Yah, that BP does look measly alongside it's beefier counterpart.
JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

#5 Nikolaos

Nikolaos

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,405 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 19:44

the PFM is a great pen! Thanks for the good review and photos

Nikolaos

Sponsored Content

|