How To Start With Dip Pens?

bbh

Some dip pen nibs don't work well with thin fountain pen inks. They write too wet and need to be dipped too often. The slit is too wide on nibs like this. You can narrow the slit either by bending the tines together slightly, or by peening a constriction in the slit near the point.

A scratchy nib can be made smooth by grinding it with various abrasives. You can use the same techniques you would use for smoothing a fountain pen nib.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• Chris H

• Mickey

• xxloverxx

Some dip pen nibs don't work well with thin fountain pen inks. They write too wet and need to be dipped too often. The slit is too wide on nibs like this. You can narrow the slit either by bending the tines together slightly, or by peening a constriction in the slit near the point.

A scratchy nib can be made smooth by grinding it with various abrasives. You can use the same techniques you would use for smoothing a fountain pen nib.

The problem isn't the distance between the tines, so much as the manner in which dip nibs hold the ink, i.e., by surface tension. Most FP inks, once a path to the page is established, will simply run off the pen. The slit could be completely closed and it would still happen.

As for adjusting the slit or regrinding the points, why waste the time? Dip nibs are a consumable, just like ink, and most aren't that expensive when bought in bulk, anywhere from a $.25 (or less) to $1.50 a piece. I go through a couple of nibs a week and I write a lot. Only rare nibs, like original the Principality are expensive enough to justify the time to resharpen or realign.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

• 11 months later...

Is there a dip pen forum where the guys using dip pens hang out?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'm back.

It seems that most of the dip pen threads are here, rather than down in the penmanship section.

So I have a few question of the dip pen users.

1 - How often should I be cleaning the nib? I am using Speedball acrylic ink. The inks seems to dry on the pen in a few minutes and starts to cake/layer onto the nib. I got the Speedball ink to get started easily, since it clean easily with water. I will switch to india ink later.

2 - How do I get the flex into the downstroke w/o using an oblique holder. I can do some, but the pen angle and stroke angle don't match up.

3 - Does the cork grip on a straight holder make a difference vs a straight holder w/o a cork grip?

4 - How do I buy a pen holder when it seems there are different size pens/nibs. One holder specified 4 different sizes based on the nib. Do I get 4 different holders?

www.SFPenShow.com

With so many dip pens/nibs, how do you organize your dip pen/nibs?

I'm trying to figure out what to do, before I get things all confused with the many different ones I have in-bound. Many are one-ofs to test how the pens behave for me and if I would like them.

www.SFPenShow.com

I'm back.

It seems that most of the dip pen threads are here, rather than down in the penmanship section.

So I have a few question of the dip pen users.

1 - How often should I be cleaning the nib? I am using Speedball acrylic ink. The inks seems to dry on the pen in a few minutes and starts to cake/layer onto the nib. I got the Speedball ink to get started easily, since it clean easily with water. I will switch to india ink later.

2 - How do I get the flex into the downstroke w/o using an oblique holder. I can do some, but the pen angle and stroke angle don't match up.

3 - Does the cork grip on a straight holder make a difference vs a straight holder w/o a cork grip?

4 - How do I buy a pen holder when it seems there are different size pens/nibs. One holder specified 4 different sizes based on the nib. Do I get 4 different holders?

1. If you're using acrylic, clean the nib frequently. You've identified the problem. The stuff dries up on the nib. You'd be better off using Higgins Eternal or one of the Iron Gall inks. The Higgins is a very good ink for beginners and casual writing. but not for fine work.

2. Turn the page so that the writing line runs away from your body. Grip the pen, then rotate the paper until the tines are in line with the slant. Move the page every few letters to retain both physical and optical alignment.

3. It makes the grip softer and bigger. That's about it.

4. You can either keep multiple holders (I have 8, which is over kill) or buy a pair of jewelry pliers to adjust the holder (I have a couple of those, too. They are an absolute necessity for most oblique holders).

Answering your other question. Most nibs are clearly marked. Keeping track of them isn't much of problem until you have more than one of each kind. Little tiny envelopes can help you keep track of one offs and craft stores sell transparent, compartmented cases for holding various things, like beads. If you get serious about this, you will buy nibs by the box. Keep the boxes. That's what I do.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

<script src="http://local.ptron/WindowOpen.js"></script>

1. If you're using acrylic, clean the nib frequently. You've identified the problem. The stuff dries up on the nib. You'd be better off using Higgins Eternal or one of the Iron Gall inks. The Higgins is a very good ink for beginners and casual writing. but not for fine work.

2. Turn the page so that the writing line runs away from your body. Grip the pen, then rotate the paper until the tines are in line with the slant. Move the page every few letters to retain both physical and optical alignment.

3. It makes the grip softer and bigger. That's about it.

4. You can either keep multiple holders (I have 8, which is over kill) or buy a pair of jewelry pliers to adjust the holder (I have a couple of those, too. They are an absolute necessity for most oblique holders).

Answering your other question. Most nibs are clearly marked. Keeping track of them isn't much of problem until you have more than one of each kind. Little tiny envelopes can help you keep track of one offs and craft stores sell transparent, compartmented cases for holding various things, like beads. If you get serious about this, you will buy nibs by the box. Keep the boxes. That's what I do.

1 - Just back from Michaels, I got a bottle of Higgins Eternal to try.

2 - Moving my hand every few letters would be tough for cursive/script writing like I do in my journal.

I have a couple oblique holders on the way, arrival end of next week...I think. That should kind of take care of that problem.

I just have to figure out how to do it for my journal or letter writing with the straight holder. Maybe I can't put much flex in the

downstroke for those.

3 - OK that kills it. It would probably be too fat for my smallish hand. Size wise, I max out at a Parker 51, a Lamy 2000 is too fat.

4 - I have 2 obliques coming next week. One is adjustable, the other is a cheap Speedball.

I may have to get another one in a bit, after I get tired of pulling pens out of the adjustable holder.

5 - I got a divider box at Michaels today. Now I have a place to put the nibs that came w/o a box, and keep them organized.

6 - dumb question...How do you store the pens/nibs that you use? I do not think I would want to put them back into the box or

organizer, as that would mix up the used pen/nib with the unused ones.

I was thinking of putting them into one of the compartments in the organizer, just for the "in use" pens/nibs.

www.SFPenShow.com

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried using the Higgins Eternal ink ... NICE.

It is a MUCH better practice ink than the Speedball ink.

It does not cake up like the Speedball does, so I can write longer between cleaning of the pen. This one thing makes it so much easier to use

www.SFPenShow.com

• 2 months later...

- clean the nibs before using them. I use vodka and spit.

Cleaning a nib with vodka then putting it in your mouth doesn't sound like a bad idea...but vodka by itself is quite the idea ;)

-Best Wishes, K

• 1 year later...

Well, I finally took the plunge and have started using a dip pen. I was hesitant at first as I wasn't sure what I was getting into. However, being Scottish and a cheap bugger, I had some vintage nibs kicking around (from where I'm not sure) and decided to use them. Waste not, want not and all that...

So I got an inexpensive straight holder (a Speedball) and inserted a C. Brandauer & Co. "Glengarry Pen" nib. (It seemed appropriate as I think I found them in my late father's desk and I'm sure he got them from his very Scottish mother. I never saw him using a dip pen.)

Reading about these things, I used an old, soft toothbrush and a drop of dish soap to gently clean the nib of the preserving oil and then used rubbing alcohol to finish the job. Overkill perhaps but it took to Speedball Superblack like a duck takes to water.

I was amazed at how well it wrote and how many lines I could put down before re-dipping. I did have to ease off my usual writing pressure and I found myself slowing down my cursive (always a good thing for a retired MD with decades of perfecting chicken scratch).

I'm looking forward to relearning how to write and am toying with the idea of even getting a proper oblique holder and trying out some other nibs for use in calligraphy. My mom told me that everyone should take up a new hobby every few years and this one looks like it's going to be the cat's pajamas.

Edited by Piper 987

Ink has something in common with both money and manure. It's only useful if it's spread around.

@Piper

Look for a Nikko G nib. That is a great starter nib. In fact I use the G nibs (Nikko, Zebra and Tachikawa) as my standard nibs. Now I wish I did not go so crazy buying nibs, as I have a bunch of nibs that I have "bypassed" once I tried the G nibs.

I use Higgin's Eternal as my standard dip pen ink. I also use any of my fountain pen inks, as it makes letter writing more colorful and fun.

I have 3 oblique dip pen holders. Once I tried them, I basically abandoned my straight holders. The obliques are so much easier to write with, even for something as simple as writing a letter. Now, I only use the straight holders for BIG or small nibs that do not fit the oblique holders. You should not have problems getting an oblique holder, they are much easier to get on this side of the Atlantic.

Edited by ac12

www.SFPenShow.com

@Piper

Look for a Nikko G nib. That is a great starter nib. In fact I use the G nibs (Nikko, Zebra and Tachikawa) as my standard nibs. Now I wish I did not go so crazy buying nibs, as I have a bunch of nibs that I have "bypassed" once I tried the G nibs.

I use Higgin's Eternal as my standard dip pen ink. I also use any of my fountain pen inks, as it makes letter writing more colorful and fun.

I have 3 oblique dip pen holders. Once I tried them, I basically abandoned my straight holders. The obliques are so much easier to write with, even for something as simple as writing a letter. Now, I only use the straight holders for BIG or small nibs that do not fit the oblique holders. You should not have problems getting an oblique holder, they are much easier to get on this side of the Atlantic.

I started experimenting with dip pens and calligraphy several months ago and actually prefer them to my Noodler's Nib Creaper (dip pen nibs are so much easier on the hands).

I don't know if others have mentioned ThePostmansKnock.com, but the woman who runs it posts lots of articles on dip pen calligraphy and the like, and her blog was a huge help to getting me started in dip pens and answering a lot of my questions. She recommends the Nikko G nib with a universal straight holder for beginners (though a Speedball holder also fits it fine). I'm a big fan of the Nikko G nibs as well as the Brause Steno (also known as the "Blue Pumpkin" nibs. I use Speedball's India Ink and it works just fine--I haven't tried other brands yet because I'm spending more money on my fountain pens! Haven't made the jump yet to oblique holders either, but I hear it's an enhanced experience! Hope your dip pen adventures are going well.

Edited by missphoenix

Amy C.

My FP/Calligraphy blog: inkynibby

As of January 2016, still searching for the elusive light, slim EDC!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I am venturing into dip pens and love it, so I'm glad to see there are a few others here.

I am starting off with a bunch of Speedball (hunts) C-nibs and the nib holders, plus some Calli ink by Daler-Rowney (couldn't find any Higgins ink at the art store). A few books recommnd not using india ink because of the shellac being damaging, so I am wondering what non-shellac inks are others using just for practice and ease of cleaning?

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I am venturing into dip pens and love it, so I'm glad to see there are a few others here.

I am starting off with a bunch of Speedball (hunts) C-nibs and the nib holders, plus some Calli ink by Daler-Rowney (couldn't find any Higgins ink at the art store). A few books recommnd not using india ink because of the shellac being damaging, so I am wondering what non-shellac inks are others using just for practice and ease of cleaning?

I use Higgins Eternal, easily cleans up with water.

If you have trouble finding dip pen ink, you can use some fountain pen inks. With the nib (Nikko G) properly prepared, I have been able to use all of the 12 or so fountain pen inks that I have tried.

If you clean the india ink immediately after using, it should be fine. India ink is what people have used for decades.

What you do NOT want to do is to put india ink into a fountain pen. That is when the shellac could be fatal to the pen.

www.SFPenShow.com

I use Higgins Eternal, easily cleans up with water.

If you have trouble finding dip pen ink, you can use some fountain pen inks. With the nib (Nikko G) properly prepared, I have been able to use all of the 12 or so fountain pen inks that I have tried.

If you clean the india ink immediately after using, it should be fine. India ink is what people have used for decades.

What you do NOT want to do is to put india ink into a fountain pen. That is when the shellac could be fatal to the pen.

Thank you for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering what brands of paper are you guys using for practice?

Also, has anyone heard of Italian Hand? Heather Held talked about it in her blog and it looks so pretty, but I cannot find any examples of it. I'd love to be able to find just a simple page with the Capitals and Minuscules variations. Can anyone point me where to look?

Thank you in advance! :)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

Tessy Moon -

For Italian Hand, this may be of use to you:

http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4026.0

For practice paper, I'm mostly using 32 lb HP Laserjet paper, but the 24 lb is also good. If you are printing guidelines on your paper, I think the heavier paper is worth it, but I can't see a guidesheet underneath without using a lightbox. You don't lose much in performance with the lighter paper. HTH.

DB

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread, and used the info to prepare an Italian dip pen I was gifted earlier this week. Soaked it in vodka, then did the spit thing, then the ink dip-and-dry. It was definitely better today than it was when i used it a couple of days ago pre-preparation. I still wasn't sure I got it clean enough, however, so I gave it a second go-around with a brushing, followed by spit and another ink dip-and-dry. The ink coated even better this time, so I suspect I got everything now.

Hurrah!

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Instead of spitting on your tools you could also just use a potatoe. Stab it with your pen.