The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc 14 & 18

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 soapytwist

soapytwist

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 22:14

I was always intrigued by the 'bishop's mitre' cap bands on these pens when I first saw them in Andreas Lambrou's first book twenty years ago. The Meisterstück line (the 149 excepted) was replaced by these more streamlined pens in the early 1960s. I think of all Montblanc's designs over the years the 12/14 pens are the most overlooked, and of course they are overshadowed by the more recognised torpedo shaped pens that returned in the seventies.

Posted Image

They are wonderful pens though; although the nib is hooded, it is an 18ct gold version of their famed wing nib and is a wonderful nib to write with. All in all it is exceptionally well-made and beautiful in an understated way, from a time when MB were first and foremost pen makers. But what of its matching instruments the No. 18 biro and the No. 15 pencil? Well I haven't got the pencil, but I have managed to snag the ballpoint.

Posted Image

In looks it's a very complimentary match to the FP, but I have the impression that it has been designed to fill the gap in your pocket next to the fountain pen. Remember this came out at a time when ballpoints were gaining in popularity but still hadn't ousted fountain pens completely yet. The pen is lightweight and thinner in girth than the fountain pen, and in actual fact feels a little flimsy in comparison. Added to which the lever that actuates the ballpoint seems a little bit 'Heath-Robinson' in comparison with Parker's contemporary Jotter-style mechanism.

Posted Image

The saving grace is that I like MB Broad refills, and I love using the fountain pen, so these pens get regular outings.

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Sponsored Content

#2 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 00:24

The 50s-60s two digit pens are really quite nice.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#3 Inkwisitor

Inkwisitor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:53

Thanks for this. The only Montblanc fountain pen that I own is the sister 12 with the OB nib. It is a fabulous nib to write with, smooth and "soft" is the only word I can come up with to describe how it feels against paper.

A Meisterstuck 12/14 is smart, discreet and, as you suggest, somewhat overlooked and undervalued. I suspect this is because of the small size of the pen and the shrouded nib which presumably limits it's visual appeal for anyone that likes the typical Montblanc panache. As a writing instrument it is as good as any.
"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

#4 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 20:56

An MB 14 is one of the few pens I regularly miss having sold. A piston filler, classic black/gold, slender, threadless cap, hidden wing nib which was turned into a cursive italic.
The BP (didn't really match: it had a name engraved) I really liked precisely for the lever. You couldn't click it like a Jotter for days on end, and it's really skinny, but I appreciated its style
Thanks for an excellent review of a pen that's escalated in price since I had mine.
gary

#5 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:25

nice review thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

#6 kaushla

kaushla

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:10

"But what of its matching instruments the No. 18 biro and the No. 15 pencil? Well I haven't got the pencil, but I have managed to snag the ballpoint..."

Actually there are two matching pencils for the Meisterstuck No. 12 and No. 14 fountain pens. : No. 15 which takes 0.9mm leads and No. 16 which takes the older 1.18mm leads. The mechanism is reliable and the nose cap of the pencils is composed of three brass pieces which at first glance look like cracks; but they aren't.
Kaushla

#7 soapytwist

soapytwist

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,098 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 15:08

Thanks for the extra Kaushla - I hadn't realised they made the pencil in two widths.

I know what you mean about the very fine slits in the brass cones; I have older Pix pencils that look like they have cracked, when in fact they are made that way to allow the cone to grip the lead.
"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

#8 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 April 2011 - 17:03

Very nice!

Thank you for your review and pictures.

I really like the wing nibs (which have been used on the previous 25X series as well).

Cheers

Michael

#9 ashokdad

ashokdad

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:38

Does anyone know if the 14 and 12 write with a similar springiness to the 24 and 22?

#10 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2014 - 13:22

Does anyone know if the 14 and 12 write with a similar springiness to the 24 and 22?

You need to be careful thinking that certain models will have springy nibs. Look at the nib selection chart on this page.

large.jpg

It's only on the student pens, the 04-32, 32 and 34 that you always find flex nibs.

Granted, the odds are that a 22 or 12 will have a flexy nib but the X2 selections and X4 selections were different.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#11 nvbrennan

nvbrennan

That's not me ... that's CVT!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:37

These really are great pens and I love MBs older oblique nibs. Nice review.

#12 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:43

Nice pens...Don't hesitate to make reviews of older pens!

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#13 ashokdad

ashokdad

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:21

You need to be careful thinking that certain models will have springy nibs. Look at the nib selection chart on this page.

large.jpg

It's only on the student pens, the 04-32, 32 and 34 that you always find flex nibs.

Granted, the odds are that a 22 or 12 will have a flexy nib but the X2 selections and X4 selections were different.

Is there a way to identify the nib type on a No. 14? I am not sure if the pen I am previewing is considered F or M, and by performance I would guess it is considered flexible in the chart above, but I would rate it as "a little springy" rather than semi-flex or flexible, but not rigid. Perhaps I am mistaken though and the nib would be rated as rigid by a MB collector...

#14 stephenchin

stephenchin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:14

sorry if I'm reviving an old thread, but that order form offers great information.  

To Ashokdad's question, I have a MB 34 with the special order OB nib, and it has that same springiness--that even in many vintage nibs would qualify as semi-flex.  Yet it's on the order form as a Rigid.

So in the old day, perhaps truly rigid MB nibs in the two digit series were not available.    Would love to hear if anyone has one that is truly a carbon-copy writing, Sheaffer-style nail, like the Pelikan Durch nibs of the 50's.  

Sponsored Content

|