The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Dipless Performance Expectations?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 23:03

<script src="http://local.ptron/W...n.js"></script>

AC12,

Yes, I got another (earlier model) and removed and cleaned the rods. I will do that on this one as well. I do understand it's a dip pen, it's just that from the very first stroke it seems to write very dry, it write a long time with a steady but dry flow. I do think it's may well partially be that I didn't clean out the rods, as you say; and I'm going to try a different nib.

John,

Try dipping the nib into a bottle of ink, to eliminate the ink well as the problem.

The ink may be too dry for the nib, or the nib may be too dry.

Either switch to a wetter ink, like Waterman, or swap/adjust the nib for a wetter writing nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 25-27, 2017 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sponsored Content

#22 Cayce04

Cayce04

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 23:05

Plexipens what is this o-ring cord of which you speak? (Kidding I can look it up) but how do you attach it? I spent last evening researching ways to rejuvenate toe old rubber gaskets w/o harming the Bakelite. I came to the conclusion I have to heat the top enough to temporarily soften the rubber to pry it off, then treat the rubber separately.

Tom, so a nib that has been sitting should hold substantially more ink?

Irrigger, does your 1554 Nib have two little holes at the end of the feed?

Pax,

John

just as an aside you can also use toilet gaskets for the lid seal.  Sam @ Pendemonium use to sell them.

#23 Plexipens

Plexipens

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:19

Plexipens what is this o-ring cord of which you speak? (Kidding I can look it up) but how do you attach it? 

I don't attach it. Amazon sells O-ring cord stock in wide variety of sizes. I experimented and now use 3/16 silicon (red) cord. Use super glue to attach the cord ends and I use the top of the well to size it.  There is a plastic jig that helps align the cord ends flat for gluing. 

As also stated you can use plumbing gaskets or buy rubber sheet and cut to fit.

#24 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 16:06

Well sine my nib had not seen service for many years I let it sit so that the ink comb would become somewhat saturated.

Once that is done, a quick dipping I should do to then be able to write the normal flow for your particular nib of choice.

I enjoyed the exercise perhaps I find a spot of my desk and refer to it more often.

Happy Writting

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#25 JFB

JFB

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 18:55

Thanks everyone!

Plexipens, so you use superglue to join the ends of the o-ring-that's what I was wondering about.

AC12, I should have thought to check the pen by plain dipping. I'll try that tonight.

I'm gonna be a pest about the feed though-I'm still curious about the holes. I'll post a photo when I get the chance.

BTW, I just got a NOS green 444 but it was missing the cup and rods. Anyone know anyplace I might find a replacement?

Pax,
John

I'm so needy! ;)

#26 JFB

JFB

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:52

So I tried dipping in tan ink bottle and performance was about the same, so I decided to floss the nib and put a bit of pressure on the underside. Major improvement!

Here's the notorious nib in question:

f3NDIc7.jpg

Here's the feed showing the holes I mentioned:

ZY9Z1wy.jpg

Here's a writing sample after the adjustments:

ugWAj2m.jpg

I'm halfway there. ;)

Pax,

John

Edited by JFB, 14 October 2017 - 04:54.

#27 tmenyc

tmenyc

Tim

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 14:09

funny -- I saw this topic, had completely forgotten that I had contributed to it some years ago...

My dipless base and pens came home from the job where I used them and haven't been used since.  I pulled them out last night...considering photographing and putting them up for sale.   Then I got fond of the set again, now I'm wavering....

Tim

Current Rotation:

home: MontBlanc 149/Diamine Twilight; 

case: Stiliridio/Aurora Blue/Black; Miller 662/Pelikan Violett

office: Varuna Vishal/(vint) Sheaffer Blue; Delta Fusion 82, also (vnt) Sheaffer blue
pocket: TWSB Vac Mini/Diamine Royal Blue

see my Pens for Sale and my collection at timsvintagepens.com  

#28 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2017 - 20:01

You can make replacement rods using monofilament line cut into short pieces. Search for a post I wrote I think last year about repairing a 444. I ended up figuring out a bunch of it and posted links to various resources including an account of how to make new rods.

But I have no idea about a replacement cup. If it were me I’d look for a 444 with a chipped lid and buy it cheap for parts.
Check out my Steel Pen Blog. https://thesteelpen.com/ . 

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#29 JFB

JFB

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2017 - 18:54

You can make replacement rods using monofilament line cut into short pieces. Search for a post I wrote I think last year about repairing a 444. I ended up figuring out a bunch of it and posted links to various resources including an account of how to make new rods.

But I have no idea about a replacement cup. If it were me I’d look for a 444 with a chipped lid and buy it cheap for parts.

AAAndrew,

Thanks! I've got one of those chipped lids, so if I decide to use the NOS one I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Pax,

John

Edited by JFB, 18 October 2017 - 20:25.

Sponsored Content

|