The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Capless Nibs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie0104

Bernie0104

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:30

Hello all,

I hope to purchase a Pilot Vanishing Point very soon, and would like some advice regarding nib choice. I've learned from this forum that the Pilot nibs run quite narrow, with a Medium being equivalent to a European Fine. Now, I am currently using a Parker Sonnet fitted with a Medium nib, which a lot of people say runs broader than most other manufacturers' Medium nibs. I quite like the line that the Sonnet produces, and would like to achieve something similar with the Pilot. So, logic says that I should buy a VP fitted with a Broad nib. Does anyone here actually own examples of both of these pens (Sonnet - Medium / VP - Broad), and how do they compare?

Thanks in advance.

Bernie.

Sponsored Content

#2 Taki

Taki

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:41

From my experience I think VP medium is fairly broad. I've sold the VP with M nib but I think it was broader than my Pilot Legance M (which is narrow M). You might be OK with VP M nib but I'm not sure how broad Sonnet nib is unsure.gif

Edited by Taki, 08 November 2006 - 02:43.

#3 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:48

Hi,

The Capless nibs that I find in the US are fairly broad unlike the ones in Japan.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Dillon

#4 HesNot

HesNot

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:29

I have a VP with a medium nib and it appears, to my eye at least, to be a true medium rather than closer to a fine. YMMV
A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

#5 PinarelloOnly

PinarelloOnly

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:30

Here is my post from back in June.

VP fine vs. med

#6 jsonewald

jsonewald

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 901 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 13:08

Roughly compared to the Sonnet (I have 4, 2 w/F and 2 w/M), the VP F is a little finer than the Sonnet F. The VP B is a little broader than the Sonnet M. I don't have any other pens with B nibs. The VP F is fairly close to several Hero's I have with F nibs, but leans to the medium side.

Added: I agree with the later posts about them being wet writers. Both the F and B are on the juicy side.

Edited by jsonewald, 08 November 2006 - 13:40.

#7 Leslie J.

Leslie J.

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2006 - 13:25

I find the VP M's to be a bit wet, and therefore they give a broader line. I have F's and M's. You should be okay with a M.
Never lie to your dog.

#8 bluemax

bluemax

bluemax

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2006 - 13:29

I have a VP with a broad nib, and to be honest, it wasn't until I bought a second VP with a medium nib that I realised the broad nib was in the first pen. BTW, the broad nib is a very juicy writer, which suits me very well.

hope this helps

Bren

#9 wiglaf

wiglaf

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 14:20

And I have yet another VP with a M nib- it is all everyone says- wet, truly medium, and smooth.
A fine addition to one's stock.

Sponsored Content

|