The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan 100 & Auch Pelikan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 soapytwist

soapytwist

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 22:32

This is the first in a (long overdue!) series of reviews where I thought it would be fun to concentrate on the 'other halves' of some of my pen sets.
I don't know about you, but I have always enjoyed searching out the ballpoints and pencils that compliment the fountain pens I own; sometimes, I've even acquired the non-FP side of the equation first and had to hunt down the FP to complete the set! So I'm going to give my impression of how the pens act as a set in looks and feel, and also which gets used more.

Posted Image

I'm starting with one of my favourite FPs, the Pelikan 100. The fountain pen is very distinctive; short and stubby looking when capped, but long, and surprisingly slender to hold when the cap is posted. It is also very light, despite being solidly built. The Auch-Pelikan ('Also' in German, as Pelikan wanted to assure potential buyers that it was made to the same high standard as the pen) is built very solidly, and if anything feels better made than the pen, thanks to the extra heft given to it by the mechanism.

Posted Image

The pencil looks beautiful in its own right; the large modern-looking button juxtaposed with the elegant vintage clip, give it a feeling of being very much an individual instrument rather than as part of a set. Having said that it unmistakably matches the 100 (and 100N) in colour and finish, down to the clip and the the way the model name is engraved above the clip.

Posted Image

The pencil is also wide enough that it feels as wide as the pen when gripping, and the materials give it a warm and non-slip grip.

Posted Image

The 1.18mm lead size makes it a writing pencil rather than a drafting one, and I quite like the fact that you can use either the FP or MP for a day - I use the pencil for shopping lists and note-taking.

Posted Image
"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Sponsored Content

#2 ToasterPastry

ToasterPastry

Uncrowned King of Finchley

• Member - Gold

• 1,169 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:15

Thank you for reviewing one of the icons of industry. This is a pen by which all pens, including other Pelikans, have been compared to. Pelikan's piston-filler was a design well ahead of its time. Much like Mont Blanc's snowflake, Pelikan's design has been a running theme for the past 70 years.
Posted Image

Follow me on Twitter!
Read my silly blog!

#3 Inkwisitor

Inkwisitor

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:40

Thanks for the review. I had never given much thought to ballpoints appearing vintage in the same way as fountain pens but, of course, many of them do. They make quite an impressive partnership, don't they?
"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys

#4 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 23:15

Very good condition with little to no wear. What a great find. It seems that finding good pens is sort of like finding good real estate, e.g., except that in pens its condition, condition, condition.

Congratulations.

#5 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:27

nice review thanks!
Cogito ergo sum

Sponsored Content

|