Noodler's Eel Blue

joelchan

I have a few blue ink.. NOT bad !!

this sample has been sitting in my shelve for a long time ..

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5298/5584748755_01c77ac6e5.jpg

Edited by joelchan

The BEST teacher don't give you the answers, they just point the way and you make your own choice - Will Schuester, GLEE

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonybelding

• Inka

• WOBentley

• bob_hayden

Great review, I love the lightness of the ink, not quite baby blue,

reminds me of sky blue. (depends on your latitude)

An ink I may get later, as I would like a dark blue "waterproof" ink,

and I am still wondering what to buy.

But again, good review.

I am always amazed at the locations people write from.

It's so wonderful to hear from people who live all over the world.

I have a bottle of eel blue sitting right here on my desk. It is a very nice blue ink. The color is pleasing, it is very lubricating, and it writes well. However, I have found that it does feather and bleed through some on really cheap paper. It isn't really fair to hold that against the ink though, but I have found that I can't use it for my day to day work/research/class writing, I use bulletproof black for that.

Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.

Great review, I love the lightness of the ink, not quite baby blue,

reminds me of sky blue. (depends on your latitude)

An ink I may get later, as I would like a dark blue "waterproof" ink,

and I am still wondering what to buy.

But again, good review.

I am always amazed at the locations people write from.

It's so wonderful to hear from people who live all over the world.

Noodler's bad blue heron is a blue-black.

A friend of mine mixed Noodler's Legal Lapis and Bulletproof black to get a bulletproof dark blue ink, I don't know the ratios though.

I use Noodler's baystate blue for my blue waterproof needs, but it is not dark, and it JUMPS out at you (not great for business correspondance).

How dark blue do you want it? Email Brian Goulet at the Goulet pen company (just a fan) and he could recommend something that suits your needs.

Edited by clmurphy

Now if only Noodler's would make a refillable dry-erase marker, I would buy a lifetime supply....

In your part of the world a medium nib is 1.1mm. Very interesting indeed. In North America, a 1.1mm would be viewed as a double broad nib.

Nib Size Source

All in all, thanks for adding your ink review to OUR collection. :thumbup:

Edited by Signum1

It reminds me a tiny bit of Luxury Blue, color-wise this seems a bit paler, LB costs a whole lot more.

It also reminds me a bit of Polar Blue, but Polar Blue tends to feather quite a bit on some paper types.

Are the Eel inks also waterproof?

I've read some Sites that sell Eel inks listing them as "this ink provides archival quality" which denotes permanence beyond waterproof to me.

My Polar inks are also labeled as being Eel lubricating inks, that are also bulletproof/permanent inks, that are also freeze-resistant, that are also...

I don't recall reading @ Noodler's if the straight-up Eel series of inks had any permanence, or if they're even water-resistant, only that they're great for lubricating piston and plunger fillers, along with really making nibs glide and slide nicely.

Pure Eel inks are one area of Noodler's inks I've not yet tried, always good to read about and see such things.

Thanks for the review!

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

I find Noodlers Eel Blue to be water resistant, but not waterproof.

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

Noodler's Eel Blue is a favorite of mine. However, I've got to say. . . .

I've never seen it look anything remotely like that scan. Eel Blue is a fairly dark, saturated, vivid, pure blue. It's not as dark as PR American Blue, but it's much darker and more color-saturated than Luxury Blue.

I've read some Sites that sell Eel inks listing them as "this ink provides archival quality" which denotes permanence beyond waterproof to me.

No. Archival quality just means that they don't fade with time and UV exposure. In other words, you can hang it on your wall and it won't fade after a few years. It doesn't mean waterproof at all.

By way of comparison. . . . Baystate Blue is waterproof but not archival at all. UV light fades it fairly quickly, and it also has a strange tendency to slowly stain or bleed through paper even weeks and months after it has dried. I've never seen any other ink do that.

I'm willing to look the other way regarding its color simply because it can change a toothy pen to a smooth one on the right paper. I'm on the verge of liquidating my assets on the upscale Pilot inks as the three I have tried lean this direction of lubrication. If this sounds vulgar, it's not supposed to be.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I just filled a pen with Eel Blue. I agree that in my pen (Pelikan M200 with a Pendleton Brown Broad CI) it looks more saturated and darker. I guess the nib makes a big difference. The ink is very well lubricated and it feels like the pen slides over the paper on an oil sheen...not too slippery, but on the higher lubrication end of things.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Here's what it looks like with my pen-and-paper. . . . .

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/eel_blue_sample.jpeg

No. Archival quality just means that they don't fade with time and UV exposure. In other words, you can hang it on your wall and it won't fade after a few years. It doesn't mean waterproof at all.

I do seem to recall now reading that about "archival" being UV resistant, it's just been so long I'd totally forgotten.

I've been corrected, that's a good thing, once again I am grateful for that as well.

I'll stick with my Polar Blue with the Eel lube and my BSB for now [my BSB was a gift from a good friend].

I gave the remainder of my Luxury Blue Eternal to a good friend that sends me inks, he uses it for work and when it rains on his notes it doesn't budge.

Thank you.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

• 6 years later...

My bottle is closer to the color in tonybelding's scan but with a bit of teal. I have it in a Yiren 359C (plastic metallic colored Safari clone) with a nib marked EF. That writes more like F and I am seeing more shading than expected. No bleed through on Wal-Mart loose leaf filler paper, but then few inks do bleed through that.

Noodler's lists the properties of their inks here

http://noodlersink.com/wp-content/uploads/Noodlers-Ink-Properties.pdf

and it looks like Eel Blue is not resistant to anything;-(