The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Platinum Preppy Markers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk

Fibery and Inky Goodness

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2011 - 19:34

I just got some Platinum Preppy Markers today. I was dying to know if they'd work with my homemade iron gall and black walnut inks. They did work very well with the homemade iron gall inks and the one fountain pen ink I tried (Noodler's Lermontov). Only my homemade black walnut ink turned out too pale with this pen. I blogged about it here. For homemade ink-makers, this could be a boon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

eta: the Noodler's Lermontov looks very blue in the scan, though all the other colors look like the original writing sample. The photograph shows the true color of Lermontov better... it's a medium lavender.

Edited by fiberdrunk, 01 April 2011 - 19:52.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2011 - 17:58

How smooth are the tips? Do you think they'll last very long?

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 22:37

I will suggest it is at least possible some fountain pen inks won't like the marker. I haven't tried a marker tip with Diamine Majestic Blue, but I did try a similar in construction Noodler's rollerball tip with the ink. Unlike the other inks I have successfully used, the Diamine Majestic Blue seemed to actually resist being soaked into the felt somehow. I did get a line out of the rollerball tip, but it was a very weak aqua colored line. I put the nib unit from another preppy into that pen, and the Majestic Blue works just fine. I put the rollerball insert into the pen the nib came out of, and it works fine with a Platinum FP cartridge.

#4 fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk

Fibery and Inky Goodness

• Member - Gold

• 1,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2011 - 16:51

How smooth are the tips? Do you think they'll last very long?

The tips feel like a typical marker to me. I hope they will last long. I'll report back as time goes on and let you know how they hold up. They do have inexpensive replacement tips available ($1.50 for a 2-pack).

#5 fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk

Fibery and Inky Goodness

• Member - Gold

• 1,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2011 - 16:53

I will suggest it is at least possible some fountain pen inks won't like the marker. I haven't tried a marker tip with Diamine Majestic Blue, but I did try a similar in construction Noodler's rollerball tip with the ink. Unlike the other inks I have successfully used, the Diamine Majestic Blue seemed to actually resist being soaked into the felt somehow. I did get a line out of the rollerball tip, but it was a very weak aqua colored line. I put the nib unit from another preppy into that pen, and the Majestic Blue works just fine. I put the rollerball insert into the pen the nib came out of, and it works fine with a Platinum FP cartridge.

Is the Noodler's rollerball tip metal? These in the Platinum Preppy Marker are all plastic.

eta: there's no "rolling ball" in this tip. It's more like a wick that soaks up the ink (for want of a better description).

Edited by fiberdrunk, 03 April 2011 - 16:54.

#6 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

• Member - Gold

• 3,772 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 16:54

Is the Noodler's rollerball tip metal? These in the Platinum Preppy Marker are all plastic.

I'm pretty sure the marker tip is felt (I have several), as is the wick to the rollerball tip. The issue wasn't with the metal part -- it was that the Majestic Blue appeared to resist wicking into the felt.

#7 fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk

Fibery and Inky Goodness

• Member - Gold

• 1,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2011 - 16:58

Jetpens has a good picture of the replacement tip. Scroll down to see all the pics.

#8 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

• Member - Gold

• 3,772 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 19:08

Yep. If you don't want to to get into the rollerball making, JetPens has everything somebody might need for Preppy work. They have great prices on the pens (fountain, highlighter, and marker). They have the adapters to use cheap international cartridges (and even short international converters). They have free shipping.

For those who want to make the rollerball variants out of these pens, Goulet sells all of those things plus the Noodler's rollerball tips for use in conjunction with the markers and/or marker replacement tips.

#9 fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk

Fibery and Inky Goodness

• Member - Gold

• 1,729 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2011 - 16:45

For those who want to make the rollerball variants out of these pens, Goulet sells all of those things plus the Noodler's rollerball tips for use in conjunction with the markers and/or marker replacement tips.

Let me see if I understand... the Noodler's rollerball tip will work in the Platinum Preppy Marker? They're interchangeable?

#10 Truppi327

Truppi327

Noodler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2011 - 17:19

Let me see if I understand... the Noodler's rollerball tip will work in the Platinum Preppy Marker? They're interchangeable?

If you buy some of the 4.5oz bottles of Noodler's they now come with a brush pen, the converted Preppy eyedropper, and an additional roller tip that fits into the preppy when you remove the nib. There is a little white collar that holds the tip and allows it to fit into the preppy. The replacement noodler's tips won't just fit in. These are not a Platinum product (AFAIK) just something Noodler's makes to allow you to retrofit the pen. It isn't the same as the marker and chisel highlighter tip replacements made by Platinum, you can turn your preppys into fp, highlighter, or marker very easily.

I have had great luck using a Preppy Marker with Noodler's Nikita at work since I need a red marker all the time.
Best,
Mike Truppi

8/24/10

Sponsored Content

|