Harrisburg in the Spring

The Central Penn Pens ~ Spring Meeting

will be meeting on

Saturday, April 9th at 1:00PM

at the

Midtown Scholar Bookstore

1302 North Third Street, Harrisburg

sign.jpg

Courtesy of the Midtown Scholar Bookstore, Inc.

Hello everyone!

The next meeting of the Central Penn Pens will be on Saturday, April 9th, at 1:00PM. We'll have our regular crowd, and more have asked to come. The ink swap will be in full force, so bring those inks you lost interest in, and trade them for new colors and hues.

As usual, we'll have pen collections to show off, and the opportunity to trade, buy or sell. Then there's the ink swap to try new brands and shades that you would never consider before, and without spending a dime. After all, your unwanted ink is another writer's treasure, so bring those dusty bottles along.

Those who are new to pen collecting invariably go home with a pen in hand, sometimes at no cost. The rest of us will likely tuck a new treasure into our collections.

We'll have the donor box, too, where we find pen-related rummage, flotsam and jetsam. There will be something you want. And please, bring along those pen items you've wanted to get rid of but thought they were just too good to throw away.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhgijgy7wQ1qdyq3lo1_500.jpg

The new venue: We have made special arrangements with the Midtown Scholar Bookstore in Harrisburg to host our group. You will be impressed with the venue! It isn't just books; there is a full bar (coffee bar) with food. Check out the website for a description, directions, and more. > > Click here < < The bookstore has its own parking lot, so don't bother with street parking.

I don't yet have a presentation arranged yet, so watch this space for more information, updates, freebies and whatnot. Please contact me with ideas, offers and questions.

More to come. Watch this thread!

Fred

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BAsoDFpqKII/TNyD_8sOLuI/AAAAAAAABLo/2kVc9LDUaiU/s1600/Midtown_2010-11-11.jpg

Courtesy of the Midtown Scholar Bookstore, Inc.

Edited by FredRydr

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FredRydr

• D.C. in PA

• Rick Krantz

• talkinghead

Directions:

From I-81: Take Exit 66 ("Front Street"); travel SOUTH on Front Street about 3 1/2 miles; turn Left onto Verbeke Street (follow signs for the "Broad Street Market"!); and turn Left at the second stoplight onto Third Street. We are the second building on the left. HOWEVER, for the parking lot, turn left into the alley BEFORE the stoplight, called Susquehanna Street. You will see the store's parking sign on the left.

From I-83: Take the "2nd Street" exit; travel through downtown about 2 1/2 miles; turn Right at the stoplight at Verbeke Street (follow signs for the "Broad Street Market"!); turn Left at the next stoplight onto Third Street. We are the second building on the left. HOWEVER, for the parking lot, turn left into the alley BEFORE the stoplight, called Susquehanna Street. You will see the store's parking sign on the left.

Parking: Free parking in lot behind the store (best), plus free on-street parking all around the Broad Street Market if you can get a space on Saturday; metered parking in front of the store.

Google Map for the parking lot: Map

Garmin GPS waypoint for the parking lot: Waypoint

The Broad Street Market

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3555/3388889950_e1f8fbb822_z.jpg

The Broad Street Market - east building.

By the way, come early to shop and eat in one of the oldest public markets in the USA, right across the street. Here is their website:

The Broad Street Market. Open 7AM to 4PM on Saturday. Bring a cooler to keep your goodies.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Hey Fred!

Great announcement, great meeting site! Wish I lived closer........... :crybaby:

Have a great meeting!

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

Rick,

A nonstop flight to Harrisburg International Airport (MDT) is only a few minutes away from you.

How about a big Pennsylvania Amish welcome?!

http://www.smokyknollfarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Jersey-Cow-Close-Up1.jpg

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Hi Fred,

I just read this post and I'm all sorts of impressed! We're just preparing to have the first ever meeting of the Pittsburgh FP Club (a.k.a.: "Steel City Nibs", though I'm still pushing for "The Pen-sylvanians" :ltcapd: ) tomorrow, April 2. I was wondering if you would mind me asking a few questions (re: number of members, choosing and securing a meeting place, etc.) for ideas and future reference.

Actually, if you'd prefer, I could PM them to you instead of going through comments. Just reply to this one with your preference and I'll go by that.

Thanks!

Paul

A proud member of the

fpn_1302698674__lillogo.gif Steel City Nibs

Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club!

--Look for us in the Clubs, Meetings and Events forum--

Janet and I are planning to be there.

Great looking venue, and we'll do our Saturday shopping at the market there rather than here - BONUS!

Nice find, we're looking forward to investigating the bookstore.

If it's OK with all, Janet will bring some Pen Collectors of America (PCA) info along in case anyone is interested, along with her usual Pelikan booty.

D.C.

D.C. in PA - Always bitin' off more than I can chew.

Fred,

Sorry I won't be able to make it. We didn't exchange emails this morning at breakfast ... iceman5@ptd.net.

J.R.

Thanks J.R. You're on the CCP mailing list, now!

If you really must choose Florida instead of pens, I understand. :thumbup:

Fred

* * * CHILTON PENS * * *

Okay, we have a presentation scheduled for our meeting! Our own Rick Krantz will talk about Boston Chilton pens (or was it Long Island Chiltons?). Well, either one will be great.

Bring your questions about Chiltons. And bring your Chilton pens and pencils and accessories to show, or trade.

See you one and all!!

Fred

http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_570xN.94786966.jpg http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_570xN.94786898.jpg

Check out the weird filling system!

Edited by FredRydr

I hope to be there, Fred. As always, my health is on a roller coaster so I must always wait until the day itself to see what will happen.

I stopped by the bookshop today to check out where we'll be on Saturday. I started to wander through the book stacks, and there was a section on illuminated manuscripts and calligraphy overlooking the coffee shop area. See?

Fred

IMAG0028.jpg

Fred, it will be Boston chiltons... People... Let's have a fun trade sell and swap session. If you got a project pen or parts, bring some along. Maybe your long term project might be completed, or what you bring could help someone along...

http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/displaystyle.jpg

If you got a project pen or parts, bring some along. Maybe your long term project might be completed...

Cool! Rick knows his Chiltons, but he is also experienced in the restoration of many brands and types of vintage fountain pens, so this will be your chance to ask questions and get help. There will be others attending who can offer such expertise as well. So let's get our fingers inked up!

Fred

http://www.welt.de/multimedia/archive/00744/eng_iraq_ink_finger_744683z.jpg

Three Iraqi women after voting and adjusting the feeds on their Wahl Eversharps. AFP Photo

FOOD

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1166958-Real_loaves_of_bread_at_Broad_St_Market-Harrisburg.jpg

Fresh loaves and other food in the market across the street. Photo by hochbeam.

In regard to our stomachs, Catherine Lawrence (co-owner of the Midtown) wrote:

We have only coffeehouse food (bagels, treats) but always encourage folks to bring in food to supplement our coffees/teas/sodas/sweets - - either from the Broad St Market, or from our new immediate neighbor, Garden Fresh Market & Deli, at 1300 N 3rd ST / corner shop. They make terrific fresh organic sandwiches. They do get really busy on Saturdays so advance-orders, or ordering with enough time to wait a bit if their lines are long, are encouraged.

Therefore, arrive a little early!

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

I wish I could come to the meeting this weekend but my schedule is working against that happening. The new venue looks interesting. I'm sure a good time will be had by all.

I picked up 5 bottles of Quink Washable Brown at an auction near Altoona. It was at a former motorcycle/bicycle repair shop. I planned to bring them to the meeting, now it will have to be the next gathering. Please post pictures of the event.

Greg Christy

We know of at least one other collector who is planning to be with the group tomorrow, but who has not logged on to respond.

As for us, Pelikans for the lady, English and mixed US/UK for me.

See y'all tomorrow.

D.C. & J.K.

Just back from the Midtown Scholar Bookstore and our Penn Pens Club April meeting.

Some of our attendees and pens, plus a special Esterbrook nib. See link for additional photos.

IMG_4228.JPG

IMG_4227.JPG

Additional photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/wheaties.wright/20110409#

All pics by J.K.

Oo, look at all those lovely pens! Penn Pens, hooray!

What are these? (I'm not allowed to post the photo here....)

https://picasaweb.go...696020324804914

I like them! Also noticing that I like black with orange trim (there was one in another photo). Very cool.

Thanks for sharing the pen meet with photos!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.