Storage And Care Of Celluloid Pens

eric47

I've often read and been told *not* to store pens made of celluloid (the stinky nitrate variety) in closed environment for an extended period of time, but allow them to breath.

Just saw this auction for an Omas Eroclessi most likely stored in a safe (and probably a pen tube as well) for an extended period. Warning, the photos might be disturbing to some. The seller recently sold an Arlecchino in much the same condition.

Looking at the photos....point taken.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eric47

• youstruckgold

• siamackz

• offbase

Ouch!

The best thing to do with a celluloid pen actually is use it. It stays in very good condition somehow when manipulated by real hands. Maybe because of the grease we all transfer to the pen while using it.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Would a fabric pen wrap be a "closed environment" or would it allow sufficient breathing? I do try to use my pens, but have to admit I have so many that some sit idle for months at a time... and those photos are heartbreaking!

Danitrio Fellowship

I don't think I have any celluloid pens....

Wow, that's a little heartbreaking, to think you're keeping your pens safe only to discover... ack.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Poor pen :crybaby:

Reminds me of this thread some time ago (luckily the pictures are gone):

Omas Horror

I don't know but the pens in question came from a warm/hot and humid part of South Asia as well so maybe this does not go well with celluloid.

Luckily I have never encountered such celluloid pens in the EU.

Cheers

Michael

Just checked my Ercolessi blush.gif, it's fine!

what a sad way for a beautiful pen to go. Is anything salvagable?

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Poor pen :crybaby:

I don't know but the pens in question came from a warm/hot and humid part of South Asia as well so maybe this does not go well with celluloid.

And there was an Arlecchino in the same condition. I went nuts trying to find the Ercolessi at a decent price for awhile. Found one when there were roughly 3-4 on the market. Now, it's gone bone dry again for that pen.

I noticed as well the location; I suspected perhaps that humidity as well may have played a part, after noting the patina and corrosion/oxidation on the brass that causing the plating to chip off.

Is anything salvagable?

The gold nib. :P It has some oxidation on it, nothing that a bit of polishing can't remove. I wanted a spare F nib, but would hate to get one this way. The ebonite feed also looks really bad; I don't know if that's crud on it or damage. I suppose there may be some internal parts if they're made of a more robust plastic. Who knows what the piston seal looks like. Some of the furniture might be o.k., that is *after* it's cleaned and replated.

It's unclear whether the cap is o.k. Some of the photos (n.3-5) show the cap is still dark green. But photo in n. 6, the bottom of the cap looks lighter green.

I'd only be looking at the auction for the nib, and/or the box/papers/ink if needed.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

The owner is a killer..... :bonk:

Lo trovato!

I found it; Google cache of the Arlecchino auction. The links to the Photobucket photos of the pen still work; so you can see in detail what happened to that pen. :crybaby:

Edited by eric47

gaah.gifgaah.gifgaah.gifgaah.gifgaah.gifgaah.gif

Enough already!!!!

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

gaah.gifgaah.gifgaah.gifgaah.gifgaah.gifgaah.gif

Enough already!!!!

What Nick said!

I'm glad I don't have any of those to store, so thank you for that Eric! roflmho.gif

Yikes.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Eric asked if I could add anything to this thread.

It is true that it is better to allow celluloid objects to "breathe" -- so a plastic pen tube is not a good idea for long-term storage. The eBay listing states that the pen was kept in a "safe box", which would be a good thing if what is meant is a safe deposit box (bank vaults are typically kept at a constant and rather low temperature, with corresponding control of humidity), but could be a bad thing if what is meant is an ordinary safe in a space without air conditioning (the seller is in Bangkok, so the ambient temperature and humidity would not have been very celluloid-friendly).

More, I really cannot say -- especially since I am not well acquainted with that particular model. Was it made from vintage material, or new? A number of Italian penmakers were having trouble back around the time of this LE with pens made from insufficiently cured celluloid. The seller stated that the pen had never been used, but perhaps it had been filled and then cleaned before being put away, leaving some moisture trapped inside.

best regards

David

More, I really cannot say -- especially since I am not well acquainted with that particular model. Was it made from vintage material, or new? A number of Italian penmakers were having trouble back around the time of this LE with pens made from insufficiently cured celluloid.

David, thanks for stopping by and giving your insights. Both the Erolessi and Arlecchino were made from new celluloid. I acquired both within the past year, and mine don't show any such damage to that degree.

I do have some other modern Omases made from new celluloid (Galileo and Arco Green) that shrank to such a degree that I had to have my restorer of vintage pens redo the cap bands because they became too big. I've always been told that that was due to insufficient curing.

I also have a first year Royale Blue Paragon that not really blue anymore, more on the purple side with some scarlet and fuchsia. I've seen others like it, so I know it's not just my pen. Not sure what happened with that lot, despite the "color shift" it's fine.

Eric,

I am surprised you haven't asked me for advice on the care of valuable and fragile pens.

Fred

I am surprised you haven't asked me for advice on the care of valuable and fragile pens.

Remember the feed, Fred, remember the feed. :roflmho:

hmm1.gifErcolessi still sold for $137!!!!!

hmm1.gifErcolessi still sold for $137!!!!!

Maybe because I ended up, albeit unintentionally, advertising it. :lol:

It's probably an o.k. price for the nib however. That original Ercolessi nib isn't easy to find if you're looking for it. Appears to me to be made in house -- at least the F size is on a par with the inhouse Paragon nibs of its day.

The pen will take a regular Paragon nib, which about a year ago were pretty much in that price range (new as spare part). With the jump in the price of gold, I don't know if Omas raised their prices significantly. But check out Mottishaw's prices for spare nibs, on a par with the auction close.

So paying that much for just the nib doesn't seem too extreme. If some really wanted/needed that F nib (and the box with it)...maybe he/she was willing to pay.

ETA: link to Mottishaw's site.

Edited by eric47

• 8 years later...

Its rather humid (avg 75%) and warm for most of the year in my city. So, I bought a dry cabinet (for camera lenses) and Im wondering what to set the humidity level at to take care of my hard rubber and celluloid vintage montblanc pens. Based on what Ive read about antique conservation, it seems 55-60 % might be optimal. What do you think?

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link