Noodler's Bernanke Blue

Sandy1

Please take a moment to adjust your gear to accurately depict the Gray Scale below.

As the patches are neutral gray, their colour on your monitor should also be neutral gray.

Mac

Wintel PC

Gray Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/INK576.jpg

- = $ ❖ $ = -

Note:

For better utilisation of your monitor space, especially if using a laptop, try the Theme 'I.P Board'.

Figure 1.

Swabs & Swatch

Paper: HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/ea15281d.jpg

Figure 2.

NIB-ism ✑

Paper: HPJ1124.

Depicts nibs' line-width and pens' relative wetness.

Link:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/th_218c0c7d.jpg

Pens: L → R: Estie, Safari, 51, 330, Phileas & M200.

WRITTEN SAMPLES - Moby Dick

Row height is 8mm.

Figure 3.

Paper: HPJ1124.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/62b8b726.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/0f0c03e0.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, white.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/344b65ad.jpg

Figure 6.

Paper: Royal - 25% rag.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/e00fe72d.jpg

Figure 7.

Paper: Staples 20 lb. multi use.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/e7fcecfe.jpg

Figure 8.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp. One-a-Day calendar page.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/5f51343f.jpg

OTHER STUFF

Figure 9.

Smear/Dry Times

Wet Tests

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/5f61a3b9.jpg

Figure 10.

Smear/Dry Times - Extended Sampling

LINK:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/th_d399e7b2.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Daily writer?

• Almost.

A go-to ink?

• When a Blue with exceptionally low smear / dry time is mandated.

USE

Business:

(From the office of Ms Blue-Black.)

• NBerBl could be used for the vast majority of writing, especially suited to: fast & loose notes; illustrations on the fly; work that may be revised / edited immediately; and may be run through autofeeders of copiers, scanners, etc.
  • The colour is nether relaxed nor firm, but animated. To some, that may be taken as a lack of gravitas.
  • The ink demonstrates a tendency to bleed- show-through on common papers from pens of more than average wetness.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• A boon to those who work quickly, and rework areas on-the-fly.
  • Lines are generally crisp on smooth-surface papers, so NBerBl should be fine for uniform tight lines. e.g. labels, crosshatching.

Students:

• As for Business use above, but watch for bleed- show-through on FP-hostile papers.
  • Water resistance is playing hooky.
  • A good pick for last-minute hand written assignments.

Personal:

• For me, I don't feel the need for the prominent performance characteristic of ultra-fast dry time. That's not to say that it is not desirable to some or many or most practitioners. I suppose my 'personal' writing habits are such that only very rarely do I rub up against the dry time of an ink. e.g. PR DC Supershow Blue, GCE Orchid and the Wancher line-up. Yet I find it fairly easy to work around.
  • For pro forma writing, NBerBl is dandy - no hesitation, don't even proof-read what's written.
  • As this ink did not show any inclination for shading, the use of non-mono-line nibs seems inviting.
  • Billets doux: those I do proof-read, so NBerBl isn't really required.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS

Flow Rate:

• Bordering on wet.
  • Very even, and controlled.

Nib Dry-out:

• The Estie and the 330 were left lying uncapped for twenty minutes, then started without hesitation; at forty minutes, there was about 2 cm of virga on the down-stroke before ink flow resumed on the paper.

Start-up:

• Prompt.
  • With confidence.

Lubrication:

• Ms Fussy would like a bit more please.
  • The narrow nibs, which are dry, were no joy to use.

Nib Creep:

• Not seen.

Staining:

• Not seen after two days' contact.

Clogging:

• Not seen.
  • (Although NBerBl and the Phileas did not play nice together.)

Bleed- Show-Through:

• Yes:
    • HPJ1124: 330, Phileas & M200.
    • Rhodia: 330, Phileas & M200.
    • Royal: 330, Phileas & M200.
    • Staples 20lb: 330.

[*]Could not use both sides of the sheet for the above samples.

Feathering / Woolly Line:

• Inconsequential.
  • Lines did gain girth as absorbency of the paper increased and/or the wetness of the writer increased.

Smear/Dry Time:

• HPJ1124: < 5 seconds.
  • Rhodia: < 5 seconds.
  • 20lb: < 5 seconds.
  • Clairefontaine Triomphe: < 5 seconds.
  • Clairefontaine 90gsm: 5 - 10 seconds.

-------------------------

• Glossy paper: 5 - 10 seconds.*
  • Coated card: 15 - 20 seconds.*

* Current thinking is that these materials are likely to vary significantly, so samples are for 'demonstration', more than comparison to other S/D Time samples.

-------------------------

Water Resistance: ☂

① on the 4S Scale:

Some inky artifacts remain as evidence of activity, but no words legible.

Recycle.

Smell:

• Reminiscent of a double yellow squash ball.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• So as not to compromise the exceptionally low dry time, I would guard against contaminating the writing surface.

Clean Up:

• A tad slower than expected with plain water.

Mixing:

• I see no need to mix into this ink.

Archival:

• Not claimed.

THE LOOK

Presence:

• Bright-eyed.
  • Animated.
  • Good velocity; low torque.

Saturation:

• Fairly high.

Shading:

• If only!

Variability:

• Pen+nib combos used:
    • Much higher than expected.

[*]Papers used:

• Much less than expected.

[*]Malleability:

• Modest - primarily through selection of writer.
    • If one daily writer is used, then The Look should remain remarkably consistent across a range of papers: a shoo-in for a daily writer ink from a dry-ish writer.

Hi-Res Scans:

As I do not wish to earn the sobriquet 'Regina dei Banditi di Larghezza di Banda', these are links only.

Estie on HPJ1124

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/th_5cb75d3f.jpg

51 on Rhodia

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/th_b6e2d0b8.jpg

330 on G Lalo

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/th_a5b8ae8b.jpg

M200 on Royal

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Bernanke%20Blue%20-%20REDO/th_5d04c801.jpg

FIDELITY

Is the name appropriate?

• Well, its not in the Red.

Are swatches accurate?

• Huh?

SIMILAR COLOURS

Note:

The format of the Written Samples is such that sideXside comparisons to One Of The Ten series inks can be achieved by opening the desired Ink Reviews in separate tiled browser windows, then manipulating those windows and their contents.

The Sheaffer 330 was used in this IR and the One Of The Ten series.

PAPERS

Lovely papers:

• Crisp pure white.
  • Pure crisp white.
  • Also, NBerBl achieved high line quality on the hard textured G Lalo - even from the Safari. :thumbup:

Trip-wire Papers: ☠

• Those which are prone to bleed- show-through.

Tinted Papers:

• Not so much: I generally prefer a darker (high density) ink on tinted paper.
  • Pushing NBerBl into the higher densities increases risk exposure to bleed- show-through.

Pre-Printed Papers:

• Forms, etc.
    • A reasonable choice.
    • (At times I do like an ink that smudges - I can obscure some entries. Although with NBerBl, a damp pinky might do as well.)

[*]For charts & graphs:

• Have at it.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• Highly dependent on one's need for low smear/dry times on smooth hard surface paper.

OTHER THAN INK

Presentation:

• Three ounce bottle in a box.
  • No HazMat warnings.

Country of origin:

• USA.

Container:

• A tall 38mm square clear glass bottle, 88mm tall when capped.
  • Proportions are not conducive to stacking, and are 'tippy'.
  • Ink level can be easily determined.
  • The centred round opening is 23mm ∅.
  • Single tank, no sediment collector, no filling aid. 3x Bah!
  • The screw cap has adequate grip.
  • The cap seal seems to be some sort of plastic-coated card. (>_<)
  • The cap is not child-proof.
  • OK, fine - its a *rude_word* tanker. Kindly use a more appropriate vessel from which your pens may sip their fill.

Box:

• 41x89x41mm
  • Lightly coated card stock.
  • No swatch. GASP!!
  • Ink name is stamped on top. Tsk Tsk Tsk
    • Useless when inks are stacked, or at/above eye level.
    • Work-around: Use some of the ink to colour-in some of the figures on the box.

Eco-Green:

• OK.
  • All should be recyclable / benign.

Availability:

• Well-stocked pen shops; yet to be seen in franchise / chain stores such as Wal-Mart.
  • Numerous online retailers.

ETC.

Majik:

• Nope. NBerBl does not have the jump to be conjured.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• I like the 330 on the G Lalo. The texture of the paper adds a bit of interest to the overall impression.

Yickity Yackity:

• Very much a good looking multi-use ink.
  • I think this one has a bit more going on that will be revealed over time, but the writing experience is not a Siren's call to write endlessly.
  • A bit darker (more density) without running the risk of bleed- show-through would've been welcome to give NBerBl greater 'stability' on the page. Hmm...
  • Ah kushbaby, a possible for fast form-filling & flipping?

<-+-|⠋|-+:+-||-+:+=|<->|=+:+-||-+:+-|⠙|-+->

MATERIEL USED:

To be relevant to most Members, I make an effort to use papers, pens & nibs that are readily available. Pens are those for which I paid $100 or less, and are factory stock - not customised.

Pens:

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/Pen_Scans/th_8c592869.jpg

• Esterbrook J + 2550 firm posting steel XF nib.
  • Lamy Safari + steel F nib.
  • Parker 51 Vacumatic + 14K nib.
  • Sheaffer 330 + steel M nib.
  • Waterman Phileas + steel B nib.
  • Pelikan M200 + g-p steel 1.0 stub nib.
    • Nib is a richardpens stock item. (OoooLaLa!)

For lines & labels: Noodler's Burgundy from a Pilot 78G + F nib.

On these papers:

• Written samples:
    • HPJ1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
    • Rhodia.
    • G Lalo, Verge de France, white.
    • Royal, 25% cotton rag.
    • Pulp. One-a-Day Calendar page.
    • Staples 20 lb. multi use.

[*]Other Stuff:

• HPJ1124.
    • Rhodia.
    • Staples 20lb. multi use.

[*]Extended Sampling:

• Clairefontaine Triomphe.
    • Clairefontaine 90gsm.
    • Glossy paper.
    • Coated card.

• Scans were made on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.
  • Figures shown were scanned at 200 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • HiRes Images linked were scanned at 300 dpi & 24 bit colour.
  • Scans were not adjusted, so went straight to Photobouquet.

Densitometer Readings (FWIW):

• Red 85
  • Grn 116
  • Blu 224
  • Lum 131

FINE PRINT

The accuracy and relevance of this Review depends in great part upon consistency and reliability of materiél used. Ink does not require labelling/notice to indicate (changes in) formulation, non-hazardous ingredients, batch ID, date of manufacture, etc. As always, YMMV, not only from materials, methods, environment, etc., but also due to differences between the stuff in the bottle I used, and that in bottle you may have.

Also, I entrust readers to separate opinion from fact; to evaluate inferences and conclusions as to their merit; and to be amused by whatever tickles your fancy.

-30-

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• ethernautrix

• RLTodd

• seahunter

I think "virga" is a beautiful name for that phenomenon.

Thanks for another one, hey.

- Mr. P

You're welcome!

:happyberet:

Edited by Sandy1

Shouldn't a Bernanke color be RED???

Hi,

I mentioned something about that under 'Fidelity', but ...

Consider there are
two
'Bernanke' inks: Black and Blue - the colours of bruises.

B)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

he, he, he, he, oh that Nathan, satire as a dimension of ink......

I thought someone should come up with an ink that starts out red, and then ages to black, and then matures to red again, and again ages to black, and it would be called "Keynes."

On the serious side, on my monitor, I see it as very close to Waterman's Blue.

YMMV

Another marvelous ink review! Thanks, Sandy!

I'll admit that I bought the ink for its kitsch appeal, and if it didn't feather or bleed-through my favorite paper, then I would have a pen inked with it. Alas.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

eBay vendor Greenman508 says that "Now Noodler's has Bernanke Blue – a fast drying Blue. Bernanke Blue is NOT Bulletproof. (Formerly "North Sea Blue")."

Does anybody else know if this true? The one review for North Sea Blue does look like Bernanke Blue, and mentions the same properties.

Hi,

I prefer to avoid a 'on my monitor ...' sort of discussion of the colour.

Clearly, the Ink Review emphasises the Smear/Dry Times more than colour. That decision was based on my opinion that practitioners looking for a fast drying Blue will give S/DT a far greater priority than colour. Neither the SD/T nor the colour will disappoint.

However, amongst the Blue inks especially, there is a fair bit of hair-splitting, which I think is in part due to the ever-increasing plethora of Blue inks.

So, to be more descriptive of the colour:

• My perception of ink-on-paper samples is that WFBl leans more to the Violet, and is positioned between Blue and a typical Royal Blue, such as the MBRBl. The colour of NBerBl is quite 'up the middle', with an ever-so-slight lean into the Cyan. That slight variation is sufficient to be a bit eye-catching.
  • The up the middle aspect is further emphasised by the lack of (appreciable) shading.
  • I cannot generate a scan that depicts NBerBl's luminosity / lustre - one source of the ink's animation.
  • It should be noted that the densitometer readings of NBerBl are very close to that of Pilot asa-gao. (!) Perhaps that shows more about the limitations of densitometry, and my lack of training & experience in that area. ;-)

From results shown, it seems reasonable to infer that if one seeks to avoid the bleed- show-through which I encountered, then the maximum density (light - dark) of NBerBl is very close to that of the Written Samples from the Parker 51. That density keeps NBerBl very much in my 'fleet-of-foot' category, which again amplifies the animated aspect of the ink. (Contrary to my stated desire for more stability on the page; or the option to run this ink from wet writers without the trade-off of bleed- show-through.)

I reckon there will soon be Posts of new recipes mixing NBerBl + NBerBk to generate a low S/DT Blue-Black - or would that be 'Black and Blue'? Perhaps Bernanke 'Boo-Boo'?

I hope this helps a bit.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Another marvelous ink review! Thanks, Sandy!

I'll admit that I bought the ink for its kitsch appeal, and if it didn't feather or bleed-through my favorite paper, then I would have a pen inked with it. Alas.

Hi,

You're welcome!

ErHmm, I didn't encounter any appreciable feathering - even from the M200 + wet 1.0 stub on the highly absorbent Royal. (See the last HiRes scan.)

Please do tell, what pen/s & paper you found that generated feathering? (IIRC, you prefer the narrow nibs, yes?

Bye,

S1

eBay vendor Greenman508 says that "Now Noodler's has Bernanke Blue – a fast drying Blue. Bernanke Blue is not Bulletproof. (Formerly "North Sea Blue")."

Does anybody else know if this true? The one review for North Sea Blue does look like Bernanke Blue, and mentions the same properties.

Hi,

I suggest asking Luxury Brands, the distributor of Noodler's brand of inks.

Luxury Brands LLC

205 Longshore Way

Fayetteville, GA 30215

Phone: (770) 881-7131

Fax: (770) 755-1477

E-mail:

Please share their reply.

Bye,

S1

ErHmm, I didn't encounter any appreciable feathering - even from the M200 + wet 1.0 stub on the highly absorbent Royal. (See the last HiRes scan.)

Please do tell, what pen/s & paper you found that generated feathering? (IIRC, you prefer the narrow nibs, yes?

I use Markings by CR Gibson (item number MJ5-4791), a Moleskine lookalike. I'm assuming the paper is cheap, cos it's thin, but I like it, and I like the narrow rule.

Okay, I've just looked at my notebook -- I used a Pelikan M215 (EF) and the feathering was minor, but the other Noodler's inks on that page (Black, Walnut, and Fox) don't feather at all, which made the Bernanke feathering... perhaps more noticeable. The Sailor Blue-Black feathered slightly less than the Bernanke. I'll admit that it's very subtle. But I noticed it....

The Pen & Ink line-up on that page:

Nakaya Desk Pen (M), Noodler's Black

Nakaye Desk Pen (F), Noodler's Black

Nakaya Piccolo (M), Sailor Blue-Black

Nakaya Mini Decapod (FS), Noodler's Walnut

Pelikan Toledo (F), Noodler's Black

Aurora Optima (F), Noodler's Black

Waterman Lady "Riom" (F), Noodler's Fox

Pelikan M215 (EF), Noodler's Bernanke Blue

My current Pen & Ink roster is much simpler:

Nakaya Desk Pens (2), Noodler's Black

Nakaya Mini Decapod, Platinum Carbon Black

Edison Pearl (F), J. Herbin 1670 Hematite Rouge

Maybe I'll try the Bernanke in the Pearl... after I've used the 1670 for a while.

etherX in To Miasto

eBay vendor Greenman508 says that "Now Noodler's has Bernanke Blue – a fast drying Blue. Bernanke Blue is not Bulletproof. (Formerly "North Sea Blue")."

Hi,

Luxury Brands LLC

205 Longshore Way

Fayetteville, GA 30215

Phone: (770) 881-7131

Fax: (770) 755-1477

E-mail:

Please share their reply.

Bye,

S1

Are you suggesting that we replace rumour, gossip, implication and innuendo with mere hard fact? Heaven forfend. If we all did that, the number of postings on the FPN would drop by about 80%, and we wouldn't want that, would we?

You've been taking your rational pills, haven't you?

I use Markings by CR Gibson (item number MJ5-4791), a Moleskine lookalike. I'm assuming the paper is cheap, cos it's thin, but I like it, and I like the narrow rule.

Okay, I've just looked at my notebook -- I used a Pelikan M215 (EF) and the feathering was minor, but the other Noodler's inks on that page (Black, Walnut, and Fox) don't feather at all, which made the Bernanke feathering... perhaps more noticeable. The Sailor Blue-Black feathered slightly less than the Bernanke. I'll admit that it's very subtle. But I noticed it....

The Pen & Ink line-up on that page:

Nakaya Desk Pen (M), Noodler's Black

Nakaye Desk Pen (F), Noodler's Black

Nakaya Piccolo (M), Sailor Blue-Black

Nakaya Mini Decapod (FS), Noodler's Walnut

Pelikan Toledo (F), Noodler's Black

Aurora Optima (F), Noodler's Black

Waterman Lady "Riom" (F), Noodler's Fox

Pelikan M215 (EF), Noodler's Bernanke Blue

My current Pen & Ink roster is much simpler:

Nakaya Desk Pens (2), Noodler's Black

Nakaya Mini Decapod, Platinum Carbon Black

Edison Pearl (F), J. Herbin 1670 Hematite Rouge

Maybe I'll try the Bernanke in the Pearl... after I've used the 1670 for a while.

Hi,

Many thanks for such a detailed reply, and the full-on list of other pen+ink combos that do not feather on that paper. :thumbup:

Once again we are reminded that simply because a paper is thin and inexpensive does not always mean it is not FP-friendly. And I have more than a few sheets of thick expensive paper that is FP-hostile - even the calendar page pulp is more FPF.

I certainly appreciate your sharing that the feathering is enough to bother you - regardless of the extent. I have high visual acuity, which sometimes causes me to be irked by things too small for most others to even notice.

S1

Edited by Sandy1

eBay vendor Greenman508 says that "Now Noodler's has Bernanke Blue – a fast drying Blue. Bernanke Blue is NOT Bulletproof. (Formerly "North Sea Blue")."

Yes, the Bernanke inks are re-labeleled former Swisher Pen exclusives.

Edited by Chemyst

Are you suggesting that we replace rumour, gossip, implication and innuendo with mere hard fact? Heaven forfend. If we all did that, the number of postings on the FPN would drop by about 80%, and we wouldn't want that, would we?

Hi,

Are you suggesting that we replace rumour, gossip, implication and innuendo with mere hard fact?

• Every so often it might be refreshing - like airing a closed room.

If we all did that, the number of postings on the FPN would drop by about 80%, and we wouldn't want that, would we?

• Pass.

• Yes; I am within the prescribed dosing range, and my sense of humour seems intact.

Bye,

S1

EDIT - to add:

... and Chemyst indicates that old Swisher labels were removed and new 'Bernanke' ones affixed. So the purported facts meet Internet standards of veracity.

... and this LINK to the fine Ink Review of the Swisher North Sea Blue.

Done & dusted.

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Yes, the Bernanke inks are re-labeleled former Swisher Pen exclusives.

Ah, the special inks brewed up for left hand overwriteres.

Designed for specific papers and feathers on just about everything else.

Still have a bottle of the stuff in the very back of the cabinet.

My old bottle of Swishmix North Sea Blue is exactly the same hue as Noodlers (Standard) Blue.

YMMV

he, he, he, he, oh that Nathan, satire as a dimension of ink......

I thought someone should come up with an ink that starts out red, and then ages to black, and then matures to red again, and again ages to black, and it would be called "Keynes."

Thank you for indulging my attempt at economic humor!! I like the "Keynes" fluctuating ink color too... as long as it ultimately ends up black:)

Greg

Edited by seahunter

keynes ink should be black, as to be countercyclical to the paper.

edit: I suppose white would be pro-cyclical, wouldnt it?

Edited by redisburning

• 2 years later...

Oh wow... I have had this ink for two years and have planned to sell it, but last night... I don't know why (cos I wanted to try a vibrant blue, and, on whim, I dipped a toothpick in the ink and smeared it on a page, and thought -- let's just put some of this in the Nakaya Piccolo (M) and see what happens.

So far, so good!

I'm using it at work, and the bright blue brings a big of cheerfulness, like a deep blue sky, around 2:00 pm.

It neither feathers nor bleeds-through the paper I'm using (mostly cheap copier stock).

Once again, I've learned that if I hold onto an ink long enough, I might eventually come around to using it with pleasure.

etherX in To Miasto