Mini review for my new Conway Stewart Churchill

lanatir

Some of you may have seen photos of this new purchase over the weekend...

PHOTOS HERE

Anyway, here's some quick impressions...

http://www.pbase.com/kelvinphoto/image/69787828.jpg

The finish of the pen is 2nd to none. The gorgeous red whirl resin is shiny but doesn't attract fingerprints. It has a special glow to it. I like the interesting details on the pen such as the grooves at the top of the cap. I appreciate the engraving on the barrel... it lends an air of 'old school' to the pen.

I am not too sure of the lever system. It's very convenient and easy to operate but I wonder if the mechanism will last over the ages. The lever itself is quite thin and I cannot tell if the sac inside is fully filled.

The clip has the CS insignia on it. Very pretty. But the positioning of the clip causes the pen to sit far out of the breast pocket.

As for the nib, as you can see in the photo, it gives wonderful variation. The italic broad nib definitely gives great contrast between broad and narrow. However the nib has some bite to it (especially on the narrow lines) and I would be keen to know if it smoothens out over long usage. Otherwise, no startup or skipping problems. The nib spits out a wonderfully consistent line.

Regards

Kelvin

My Blog

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lanatir

• JRodriguez

• fjf

• jaytaylor

That is a stunning pen, one of the prettiest pens I've ever seen.......

With a pen like this do you ogle it more than using it?

Edited by jaytaylor

style is as per title. colour is red whirl (swirl of red over blue). i got it from pengallery.com

Edited by MYU

Regards

Kelvin

My Blog

Update... the nib is skippy and scratchy when used at the 'incorrect' angle. Note that this is an italic broad. Experiences may vary with other nibs. I am a left handed overwriter.

Regards

Kelvin

My Blog

• 2 months later...

That's a great looking pen. I'm considering purchasing one of these in an italic broad and your review makes it even more tempting to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Rodriguez, thanks for asking. I've actually gotten the nib tweaked a bit by the retailer and the flow is much better now. The nib is no longer scratchy and writes well and yes, I've gotten used to it.

Regards

Kelvin

My Blog

That's excellent news! I'm still trying to get my hands on one of these fantastic pens, and actually might have just today worked out a trade for one. Perhaps I'll do a review if it all works out.

Thanks for a great review on a very striking pen!

Did you have an opinion on the ink capacity? I love lever-fillers myself.

I agree with Maja, write some more reviews! :)