The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

St Dupont Quality - What's Your Experience?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Poll: Quality of ST Dupont Fountain Pens and Lighters (68 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your experienced opinion of ST Dupont quality? (choose as many as needed)

1. The fountain pens are smooth, wet, reliable writers (54 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. The fountain pens are a bit finicky - annoying (2 votes [1.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.39%

3. The quality of construction is exceptional (50 votes [34.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.72%

4. Dupont uses premium materials, but the construction quality is marginal (1 votes [0.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.69%

5. The Dupont Line 2 Lighter works well and looks great - a legacy piece (4 votes [2.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

6. The Dupont Line 2 Lighter is just an average lighter made of expensive materials and overpriced (1 votes [0.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.69%

7. The pens and lighters are overpriced trinkets of a dandy (8 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

8. The pens and lighters are worth every franc - they'll last forever (24 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Shalori

Shalori

Do or do not, there is no try.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 21:22

Ray.

I agree with the comments here: Amazing build quality with ultra smooth and reliable nibs. The base construction is brass so as previously indicated, it is a heavy pen. As Jar mentioned, there are a few reviews on the forums.

I have quite number of Duponts, all in the Olympio line, Large and Extra Large and I can share my personal findings. The nibs are fairly stiff but the Limited Editions seems to have a little more flex. I agree with John Cullen, that the older nibs with the script "D" were a little smoother, particularly for the XF nibs. Currently they have stopped making stub nibs and obliques and the Limited Editions nibs are only available in F, M, B. The customer service now is pretty good but if you need to switch out LE nibs there could be a long wait. They have excellent communication though so you will know exactly what to expect.

The Extra Large and Large might not look very different in size but they are definitely different when you write with them. The both have great balance and can be used posted or unposted. My personal preference is for the Extra Large un-posted. Posting will not damage the finish on the pens.

The metal pens are very beautiful and my favorite pen is probably my Pharaoh but I think were Dupont really excels is with their Lacquer finishes, they are rich, lustrous and very durable.

Finally, BEWARE OF FAKES. They are everywhere, especially with the Olympio line and some are very good. Buy from authorized dealers or do your due diligence.

Regards,
Neil

Edit: P.S. Just saw your post that you are buying from Bryant. No need to worry about fakes then. I bought my Shaman from Bryant and it is an amazing pen.

Edited by Shalori, 23 March 2011 - 21:26.

Sponsored Content

#22 yachtsilverswan

yachtsilverswan

Atlanta

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2011 - 21:38

I'm really very grateful for everyone's input. This has helped me learn about ST Dupont, and helped me identify questions I did not know to ask.

Jar asked which pen and lighter in the Olympio series I like. I'm considering the ST Dupont Olympio Series (seems it's also called the Orpheo Series) Black Mother of Pearl and Palladium fountain pen:

Posted Image

Plus the companion Line 2 (Ligne Deux) Lighter in black mother of pearl and palladium:

Posted Image

And lastly the matching cufflinks in black mother of pearl and palladium:

Posted Image

Several points have been made that I'd like to learn more about:

Several posters have mentioned the pens coming in at least two sizes (body sizes - not nib sizes) - Large and X-Large. Does anyone know if all Olympio / Orpheo pens come in both sizes? What are the relative sizes - say compared to a MB 149 and a MB 146 - or compared to a Pelikan M-600 and a Pelikan M-800?

I have seen these pens alternately referred to as the Olympio line and as the Orpheo line. Are these names used interchangeably, or am I missing something?

Jar mentioned I can order the flame on the Line 2 lighter as angled for pipes, single flame for cigarettes, or double flame for cigars. That would be great - I'd like a double or triple torch flame for my cigar. Has anyone used the Line 2 with a double flame - is it a high pressure blue torch like the double and triple torch Colibri lighters or is it a low pressure double flame?

Lastly, is the Line 2 lighter a one-step ignition or a two-step ignition? That is, do I flip open the top of the lighter and then press the ignition button (two-step)? Or do I press one button which automatically opens the top of the lighter and also triggers the ignition (one-step)?

Thanks again folks - I love tapping the Hive Mind.

Edited by yachtsilverswan, 24 March 2011 - 04:09.

Ray
Atlanta, Georgia

Pilot Namiki Vanishing Point with Richard Binder ItaliFine 0.9mm/F Nib
Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib
Visconti LE Divina Proporzione in Gold with Binderized CI nib
David Oscarson Valhalla in gray (Thor) with Broad Binderized CI nib
Michel Perchin LE Blue Serpent (reviewed) with Binderized CI nib
Montblanc 149 in Medium Binderized CI nib
Montblanc Pope Julius II 888 Edition (reviewed) in Bold Binderized CI nib

#23 yachtsilverswan

yachtsilverswan

Atlanta

• Member - Gold

• 2,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2011 - 21:47

I guess what's synonymous with the Dupont brand is the distinctive "feel" you get when capping/uncapping a Dupont olympio. Almost like winding a fine swiss watch....just a precise and smooth "feel" that no other pen has...
Ron

Hey Ron - Thanks for chiming in.

I have heard about this distinctive click and feel - sort of like the satisfying thlunk of a Mercedes door closing in perfect alignment.

(I still kick myself for passing on that rose gold Classic Pens ZJ1 Mozaique - I should have gotten over the little nib and just had the piece re-tipped)

Take care man.
Ray
Atlanta, Georgia

Faber Castell's Porsche Design with Gold & Stainless Mesh in Binderized CI Broad nib

#24 Shalori

Shalori

Do or do not, there is no try.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 22:01

Several points have been made that I'd like to learn more about:

Several posters have mentioned the pens coming in at least two sizes (body sizes - not nib sizes) - Large and X-Large. Does anyone know if all Olympio / Orpheo pens come in both sizes? What are the relative sizes - say compared to a MB 149 and a MB 146 - or compared to a Pelikan M-600 and a Pelikan M-800?

I have seen these pens alternately referred to as the Olympio line and as the Orpheo line. Are these names used interchangeably, or am I missing something?

Actually very few of the pens come in both the Large and X-Large format. The easiest way to tell (online) if the pen is large or x-large is by the model number, 481XXX is an X-large Olympio FP, 480XXX is a large Olympio FP, 482XXX is a Olympio RB. Thus the black MOP, Model number: 481408 is an X-Large. BTW, great choice, the MOP is gorgeous. The X-Large is a little larger than a MB146 but smaller than a MB149. I believe Jar's review has pictures next to a MB but I can snap some pictures of the Large and X-Large next to a MB146 tonight for you.

The Olympio name was the original name of the line. When it was brought over to America, however, there were registration issues with using this name and the name Orpheo was used instead. It actually gets even more involved with sizes and the Fidelio line (Orpheo Medium) but I won't complicate the issue by trying to explain that anomaly as well.

Sorry I don't know much about the lighters.

Regards,

Neil

#25 yachtsilverswan

yachtsilverswan

Atlanta

• Member - Gold

• 2,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2011 - 22:18

...The easiest way to tell (online) if the pen is large or x-large is by the model number, 481XXX is an X-large Olympio FP, 480XXX is a large Olympio FP, 482XXX is a Olympio RB. Thus the black MOP, Model number: 481408 is an X-Large. BTW, great choice, the MOP is gorgeous. The X-Large is a little larger than a MB146 but smaller than a MB149. I believe Jar's review has pictures next to a MB but I can snap some pictures of the Large and X-Large next to a MB146 tonight for you...

Regards,

Neil

Thanks Neil - I really appreciate the model numbers. I'm a big pen guy - I've used a MB 149 since college - the same MB 149. So I'll want the 481408 (XL) fountain pen.
Ray
Atlanta, Georgia

#26 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2011 - 23:12

Jar mentioned I can order the fame on the Line 2 lighter as angled for pipes, single flame for cigarettes, or double flame for cigars. That would be great - I'd like a double or triple torch flame for my cigar. Has anyone used the Line 2 with a double flame - is it a high pressure blue torch like the double and triple torch Colibri lighters or is it a low pressure double flame?

Lastly, is the Line 2 lighter a one-step ignition or a two-step ignition? That is, do I flip open the top of the lighter and then press the ignition button (two-step)? Or do I press one button which automatically opens the top of the lighter and also triggers the ignition (one-step)?

Thanks again folks - I love tapping the Hive Mind.

The naming also got confusing about the sizes, sometimes it was "Standard and Large" and later "Large and X-Large".

The MOP is absolutely stunning and a great choice.

As to relative sizes, this might help: ST Dupont Olympio/Orpheo Large and X-Large; MB 146 and 149, Pelikan 800 and 1050.

Posted Image

Posted Image

One BIG difference is if you use a pen posted, The ST Dupont Olympio/Orpheo is only slightly longer posted than capped. ST Dupont Large and MB 146.

Posted Image

Lighter.

The Ligne 1, Ligne2, Ligne D and Gastby lighters are not "TORCH" type lighters, they are more low-medium pressure. ST Dupont does make some "Torch" type lighters but not in any of the Limited Editions.

It is also a conventional flint and steel mechanism. In the Ligne2 there is a place for an heir and a spare. It is pretty easy to change BUT there is no fuel shutoff.

The Ligne2 uses the ST Dupont Gold butane and I generally get about a month per canister. The fuel is fairly expensive but also very clean and pure and so I attribute the long life and reliability of my ST Dupont lighters partly to using only the recommended fuels.

It is a two step system, you snap the top open and if you don't become mesmerized by the wonderful sound and just sit there opening and closing it, you turn the column with your thumb to light.

Your MOP lighter is much like my Cigar Band in that the striker column is smooth and not textured. I thought that might be a problem but decades later I don't even think about it. I do though notice it for a day or so when changing between one with a smooth striker column and one with a textured one.

That's a really really great choice and one I think you'll enjoy for a lifetime.

Edited by jar, 24 March 2011 - 00:39.

My Sister's website :  Rose Hill Studios

My Website

#27 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• 1,867 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 00:57

The MOP is a great looking pen and that lighter is a knockout. Both are very classy looking!

But I have to say that the Shaman is the one that really grabs me. I do not have one, but it is one of the two pens left that I would really really love to have and will probably try to get down the road, though currently I need to recover from my recent Dupont purchase.

As soon as I get the Shaman and the new Fiersole Etruria I will stop buying pens. That is my wife you hear laughing in the background. :)

#28 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 25,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:09

As soon as I get the Shaman and the new Fiersole Etruria I will stop buying pens. That is my wife you hear laughing in the background. :)

Tell her that you absolutely promise that the last pen you bought is the next to the last pen you will ever buy.

My Website

#29 yachtsilverswan

yachtsilverswan

Atlanta

• Member - Gold

• 2,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:33

As to relative sizes, this might help: ST Dupont Olympio/Orpheo Large and X-Large; MB 146 and 149, Pelikan 800 and 1050.

Posted Image

Lighter.

The Ligne 1, Ligne2, Ligne D and Gastby lighters are not "TORCH" type lighters, they are more low-medium pressure. ST Dupont does make some "Torch" type lighters but not in any of the Limited Editions.

It is also a conventional flint and steel mechanism. In the Ligne2 there is a place for an heir and a spare. It is pretty easy to change BUT there is no fuel shutoff.

The Ligne2 uses the ST Dupont Gold butane and I generally get about a month per canister. The fuel is fairly expensive but also very clean and pure and so I attribute the long life and reliability of my ST Dupont lighters partly to using only the recommended fuels.

It is a two step system, you snap the top open and if you don't become mesmerized by the wonderful sound and just sit there opening and closing it, you turn the column with your thumb to light...

Jar, I really appreciate your effort. That side by side photo of the red XL Dupont against the MB 146 was just what I needed to gauge size. I use almost every pen un-posted. The Dupont XL is longer than the MB 146 with a larger nib than the MB 146 and with about the same girth at the section as the MB 146. I think the Dupont XL will be a good fit for me.

Thanks for the fuel recommendation - I'll follow your lead. These lighters are not cheap and using the cleanest fuel may prevent the need for expensive repairs later on.

I'll have to brush up on my lighter tricks.
Ray
Atlanta, Georgia

#30 yachtsilverswan

yachtsilverswan

Atlanta

• Member - Gold

• 2,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2011 - 01:36

...As soon as I get the Shaman and the new Fiersole Etruria I will stop buying pens. That is my wife you hear laughing in the background. :)

Well at least she's laughing at you, rather than laughing with you.

No, wait...
Ray
Atlanta, Georgia

#31 elderberry

elderberry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:06

Ray, the mother of pearl Olympio was my first ST Dupont pen and it is stunning. Quite prone to trigger the mentioned polishing obsession because there is no surface on the whole pen you wouldn't leave visible fingerprints on - but stunning. The Tahitian mother of pearl used for the inlays seems to be of highest quality, its lustre is just brilliant, I could watch all these colors and the "depth" within the material for days. I can also remember how amazed I was when I tried that so-smooth nib.

This one is really heavy, my kitchen scales say 71 g whereas the lacque de Chine, same size, is "only" 63 g and it's filled too. For comparison: my Pelikan M800 weighs 30 g.
Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

#32 tanalasta

tanalasta

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,528 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:56

The ST Dupont is a fantastic pen. Jar probably knows more about it than most.

I reviewed it here: http://www.fountainp...io-extra-large/

I don't know about US service but the lady that handles warranty in Australia is superb.

I obviously would not use solvents, including alcohol hand rub near the Chinese Lacquer finish. The nib is rigid, smooth and of moderate flow.

I have the Dupont ultrajet tabletop lighter. Nice, reliable hot flame an perfect for wax seals which is why I have it.
In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)
In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

#33 John Cullen

John Cullen

John Cullen

• Member - Gold

• 1,867 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:06

Jar says: Tell her that you absolutely promise that the last pen you bought is the next to the last pen you will ever buy.

GOOD ONE! And yes, it is a good thing she is still laughing. She has two fountain pens and thinks that is enough, poor thing. :)

#34 yachtsilverswan

yachtsilverswan

Atlanta

• Member - Gold

• 2,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2011 - 21:40

Ray, the mother of pearl Olympio was my first ST Dupont pen and it is stunning. ... The Tahitian mother of pearl used for the inlays seems to be of highest quality, its lustre is just brilliant, I could watch all these colors and the "depth" within the material for days. I can also remember how amazed I was when I tried that so-smooth nib.

This one is really heavy, my kitchen scales say 71 g whereas the lacque de Chine, same size, is "only" 63 g and it's filled too. For comparison: my Pelikan M800 weighs 30 g.

My Michel Perchin Blue Serpent weighs in at 113.4 grams, so this will fit right in.
Ray
Atlanta, Georgia

#35 Miranda

Miranda

Miranda

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:07

These are my Duponts. Together with the Graf von Faber Castell Pens of the Year, I think they are my favorite European brands. I did have a classique amber but gave it to a good friend because I have the GvFC Amber pen of the year pictured here. The blue pen is the MB Jules Verne, and there is a MB 149 at the side. I forgot, I also own a silver classique. Sorry about the poor picture quality.
You will really like them, Ray. They just have that understated element of quality.
I think the Andulusia is my grail pen. Fortunately I have yet to see one for sale! The mother of pearl is also another temptation. And the Shaman.

Attached Images

• dupont .iii.jpg
  • dupont .ii.jpg
  • dupont.i.jpg

Edited by Miranda, 26 March 2011 - 01:22.

Warm Regards, Miranda

#36 shuuemura

shuuemura

Japanese Pen Lover.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:02

I have two Dupont Orpheo/Olympio extra-large pens, a Vertigo II and a Black Chinese lacquer, and a variety of nib sections for them. The fine and extra-fine nibs have written well out of the box, but any size above that (medium and beyond) tended to have baby bottom and had to be adjusted to prevent hard-starting. I have had both the old version of the Orpheo (with the plastic section) and the new Orpheo (with the metal section), and my preference is for the old version, as the plastic section makes the pen lighter and easier to use for long writing sessions. Even though I like big and heavy pens, the metal section made my fingers ache after just five minutes of writing. So if you can find the old version Orpheo, I would recommend getting it.

#37 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 25,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2011 - 16:38

I'm considering my first ST Dupont fountain pen, and wanted feedback from Dupont users - fans and detractors.

The pen I'm considering is from Dupont's Olympio line. It's cartridge/converter like all Duponts. I think it uses the same nib as all Duponts, just engraved differently. Is the cap snap-on or a screw-on (I think it's snap-on)?

What's the writing experience like? Ultrasmooth, wet, and reliable? Dry and finicky?

What's the quality of construction? Clearly, ST Dupont uses premium materials - gold (yellow, white, and pink), palladium, urushi, alligator, crocodile, semiprecious and precious jewels - but what is the quality of the construction and assembly? Has anyone used one of these pens as a daily writer and developed an opinion of its sturdiness and longevity?

There is a Line 2 Lighter with a similar design to the pen I'm considering. Do our cigar smokers have an opinion on the ST Dupont Line 2 Lighter? I think these are single torch butane lighters, but I'm not certain.

So what is the status? Did the pen show up? Is it as nice as expected? How about the lighter?

My Website

#38 BillLS

BillLS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2011 - 17:38

If I didn't like them I wouldn't keep buying them at those prices, would I? :happyberet: The one on the top is a Vertigo with a 1.5mm stub nib and is one of my very favorite pens in my entire collection. Right now it's inked and is a daily user. All of these pens were acquired as used pens but in terrific condition and all are old enough to not have metal sections. The Montparnasse at the far right actually has an internal section, you hold it by the barrel just behind the flare where the barrel widens to meet the cap. The other five have black resin sections which are much more comfortable to hold than the newer metal ones. The black sections look good on these particular colored pens.
Posted Image

Bill Sexauer
PCA+++Logo+small.jpgBlk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpgCP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

#39 jar

jar

• Premium - Ruby

• 25,925 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2011 - 17:46

If I didn't like them I wouldn't keep buying them at those prices, would I? :happyberet: The one on the top is a Vertigo with a 1.5mm stub nib and is one of my very favorite pens in my entire collection. Right now it's inked and is a daily user. All of these pens were acquired as used pens but in terrific condition and all are old enough to not have metal sections. The Montparnasse at the far right actually has an internal section, you hold it by the barrel just behind the flare where the barrel widens to meet the cap. The other five have black resin sections which are much more comfortable to hold than the newer metal ones. The black sections look good on these particular colored pens.
Posted Image

Neat, I didn't realize you had a Vertigo and Vertigo 2. Which do you think looked best?

My Website

#40 yachtsilverswan

yachtsilverswan

Atlanta

• Member - Gold

• 2,100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2011 - 17:47

So what is the status? Did the pen show up? Is it as nice as expected? How about the lighter?

Pulled the trigger. Bryant ordered the pen from ST Dupont. The lighter and cufflinks will come next. (who knew Bryant repped the French?)

Like all things French, this will probably take a while. All those vacations, all those long wine soaked lunches, and they have a war to run now (wow, the French running a war - who'd a thunk? Go France!) But since Mr. Binder is skipping the Atlanta Pen Show this year, I can't do anything with the broad nib until the Raleigh Pen Show in June - so the timing is fine.

From this thread I learned the lighter was available in a dual flame version for cigars, so Bryant has special ordered that configuration for me.

I'm looking forward to using the pen. Last year I bought a set of Tahitian Black Pearl cufflinks and color matched tuxedo studs from Mikimoto (basically the only items they offer for men), and I had been looking for a matching pen ever since. The lighter was a bonus.

I'll post more when the pen lands in Atlanta.

Edited by yachtsilverswan, 02 April 2011 - 17:54.

Ray
Atlanta, Georgia

Sponsored Content

|