How Long Do Pelikans Last?

Nimmireth

I own 20 of them (100N/400/400NN/M400/M405/M200/M205).

Half of them are M2xx series.

I've found no crack in the section.

They are very durable, I think.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• Nyanzilla

• vans4444

• caoquocdat

In early #200/250s, I sometimes found a crack in the rim of cap top that fixes a clip and an inner cap.

In later version, cap tops were reinforced with metal parts from inside.

The current M200/250 use a ring instead of cap top.

If you have #200/250s in 1980/90s, please carefully look at the cap top

Edited by tacitus

Please visit my website Modern Pelikan Pens for the latest information. It is updating and correcting original articles posted in "Dating Pelikan fountain Pen".

What about the nibs?

After having written about 1200 pages I have the impression that the tip is slightly worn. So I could imagine that after 5000-6000 pages a nib has to be replaced.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

I ruined my first 1980s Tradition with shellac ink, but I rescued the nib and attached it to a new feed and NOS body and I still use it daily ... 36 years later.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

What about the nibs?

After having written about 1200 pages I have the impression that the tip is slightly worn. So I could imagine that after 5000-6000 pages a nib has to be replaced.

You using an untipped nib or something?

I used a Pelikan P360 Epoch for writing a novel. It has a gilded steel nib with an Iridium tip. Like all modern Palikan nibs.

Has anyone had both pilot custom 92 and pelikan m200 ? How do they compare ? Are thay the same or pelikan is better ?

Edited by caoquocdat

I used a Pelikan P360 Epoch for writing a novel. It has a gilded steel nib with an Iridium tip. Like all modern Palikan nibs.

Just seems like it should last much longer than that unless you're using sandpaper for your journals. Especially considering how long a lot of the vintage nibs have lasted, and the main ones I've seen that were "worn down" were untipped nibs like the 1xxx series of esterbrook nibs or steel school pens.

(Also I'm not sure how many modern nibs have actual 'iridium' in the tipping).

Edited by KBeezie

Especially considering how long a lot of the vintage nibs have lasted...

I think a lot of pens haven't been used that much. Many vintage pens are in a good condition because they had rested in a drawer for decades, or have only been used for signatures and maybe a letter every two months.

I think a lot of pens haven't been used that much. Many vintage pens are in a good condition because they had rested in a drawer for decades, or have only been used for signatures and maybe a letter every two months.

When you manage to wear down your nib completely, do chime back in. Would be interested to see pictures of it and how long it took.

Also the topic in general has been discussed before (in length if you do a search for more)

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/165649-how-fast-does-a-nib-wear-out/

The general consensus was that a good nib with tipping would probably outlast your use of it. Especially if you don't abuse it by treating it like a ballpoint with pressure onto highly abrasive paper. Generally speaking if you're a novelist, that pen should last you 20-30 years of daily writing easily. Yes they do sort of smooth to your writing angle, but are not going to grind away once it's been smoothed because you're now gliding on the conformed writing surface/angle, rather than grinding against some protrusion.

Edited by KBeezie

Depends how they're treated...

http://ct.weirdnutdaily.com/ol/wn/sw/userpics/funny_pictures/1.jpg

Some Pelikans have survived 100 years or so....

That would put Pelikan pens back to 1911, 18 years before their first pen!

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Not sure what the binde material is on the 200/250 series, but I believe the striped binde on the larger pens is nitrocellulose acetate.

If it is, this is not a long-term stable material. I'm not a chemist. I'm told that although more heat stable than nitrocelluoid, nitrocellulose acetate is also susceptible to heat and UV damage, and degrades over time. Most marbled and many solid color eyeglass frames are made of same, and the vinegar-smelling outgassing, clouding, greasy secretions and ultimate crumbling of these plastics suggest that even modern Pelikans may not last...forever. There's a m620 Stockholm currently on the bay with what appears to be substantial fading in the cap, not the barrel--which is never a good sign. I have an m620 Chicago with some plastic weirdness in the cap--appears to be stable, but it came from a hot, humid environment.

On the vintage ones I've seen plenty of cracked or fractured ink windows, and just bought a 500nn on eBay that came with stress fractures only in one spot--just on one side, over the piston--which suggests a possible shrinkage or outgassing issue. Just check Rick's site for the good deals but limited warranties he offers on vintage Pel's with stable barrel fractures. Also, a recent light tortoiseshell 400 that sold for big money on the bay had lots of evidence of outgassing.

None of my other modern Pels have had any issues (other than the rare factory QC issue). And I hope my vintage Pel's last my lifetime, but if you have ones that you love, enjoy them now, pay attention to them, store them in a dark, cool place with lots of ventilation and segregate out the ones with sick plastic.

That would put Pelikan pens back to 1911, 18 years before their first pen!

Fred

Hi Fred,

thats right!

But my 86 years old bird is in good conditions - without any restauration (only the cork seal doesn´t work anymore)... ;-)

And for more pictures of that pen visit my website ;-)

Dominic

Pelikan-1929-101.jpg

I have several vintage Pels and tjey are among my most reliable pens. Almost all start instantly even after a month or more of nonuse