Airmail 69TS Clear Eyedropper Pen

JonB55198

Hi Group,

If you haven't my original post, please see here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/188488-one-red-fountain-pen/page__p__1903771__fromsearch__1#entry1903771. The premise is that I will be making a series of up-trades starting with a Red Wing Sung 322. My plan is to get to my current Grail Pen: the Pelikan M1000 Green Striated with Broad or Cursive Italic Broad nib.

Well, I made my first trade and Tony was kind enough to trade me an awesome Brown/Gold Airmail Clear Eyedropper pen. I think it is a model 69, although I cannot be sure. So, as promised in my original "deal" with the FPN, I'm going to review each pen that I receive in trade along the way.

Appearance & Design (7/10) – This eyedrop filler comes across as being very utilitarian. But, the chrome band around the cap and the chrome "jewel" on the top of the cap definitely add to the appearance. The body is crystal clear and not hazy at all. I was most pleased with that aspect. the cap is a semi-transparent swirl of resin. In this case the resin was orange and gold. But I know this pen comes in various colors. The section matches the cap. The threads on the section are very fine, so sometimes this pen takes a while to deploy. The gold plated nib is larger than I expected and quite nice for a pen of this cost. The clip has just the right amount of tension on it. The best part about this pen is that it hold a HUGE amount of ink (I think 4.5mL) so it is great for taking on trips or to exams where re-inking may not be possible. The clear barrel is a plus for those of you who like to show off the colors you have mixed.

Construction & Quality (9/10) – The barrel of the pen is very thick-walled and the clip seems rugged and sturdy. Dropping this pen on the pavement probably wouldn't phase it. Furthermore, the screw on cap ensures that the cap will not come off upon a sudden drop. During my testing of this pen, it never leaked once. Although, I did only carry it around for a week. The ornamentation and plating on the nib could be a bit better though and I've seen such on lesser pens.

Weight & Dimensions (7/10) – The dimensions are: Capped = 137mm, Posted = 161mm, Unposted = 118mm. The pen is medium-light weight. This probably due to the utilitarian approach they took in designing it and the thick walled barrel. But, I like the weight and feel of it in my hand and the balance is quite good too. Since I like a heavier pen, i'm going to get this one a 7 in this category.

Nib & Performance (7/10) – This pen seems to put down a very wet fine line. If you turn over the nib, it writes extra fine. Although, in this mode it is quite scratchy. The pen started up in the morning right away with no hassle whatsoever and this was a pleasant surprise. Furthermore the nib is much smoother than any chinese pen I have tried. There are two downsides to this nib: (1) sometimes it projects blobs of ink onto the paper (see the writing sample below. The number "6" has a blob that I pointed out), (2) The nib seems to bleed ink from the hole. I guess this is a sort of nib-creep that I have not yet seen in other pens. But, because of the reliability and smoothness, I'll give this pen a 7.

Filling System & Maintenance (9/10) - Two good things about this pen: (1) It doesn't get any simplier or maintenance-free than an eyedrop filler, (2) it holds a massive amount of ink. I never had this pen leak once, although due to the blobbing discussed above, I cannot give this pen a perfect 10.

Cost & Value (8/10) – These can be found on eBay for $9. That is a pretty good value for what this pen does. It works much better than some chinese pens I have paid this amount for and I like the look and feel of it better. Furthermore, I find it more reliable and definitely carries much more ink. I would give this pen a higher score, but I feel like maybe it should go for around $7 due to its mechanical simplicity.

Conclusion (47/60 = 78%) - Overall I am suprised at the quality for the dollar. I was thinking this was going to be a much lesser pen. This pen seems reliable although it does drop a blob of ink now and then. The construction is sturdy and the pen feels substantial but not heavy. The swirled color in the cap and section really draw attention. The nib is smooth, wet and fine to medium-fine (more like a western fine).

Overview of the pen (thanks for the image Tony!):

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5100/5541792202_e572b7b033_z.jpg

Writing Sample:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5096/5541791558_b345a197fc_z.jpg

Capped:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5541791694_9b9fbe0337_z.jpg

In My Hand for Scale:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5131/5541211391_82cbc276d7_z.jpg

Another Photo for Scale:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5541791872_f978665825_z.jpg

Posted:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5541791940_43d9edd099_z.jpg

Nib and Section:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5291/5541211653_b53305d0ff_z.jpg

Nib Close-Up:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5135/5541211717_a10f3899fb_z.jpg

A Horrible Photo of the Feed:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5011/5541792156_35dcb98b25_z.jpg

Photo of the Nib Creep Problem:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5054/5541792344_3121062898_z.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this review. Please let me know what I can do to make future reviews even better. I look forward to trading with you :)

-Jonathan

Edited by JonB55198

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonB55198

• USMCMom

• hari317

• watch_art

dear jonathan,

i love those colours and swirls, somehow it gives a freshness to an otherwise simple fp. perhaps you should fill it with some really colourful ink colour like orange or saffron, then it will be simply too good to look at.

your review is quite good.

tks.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

I have several Wality Airmail EDs and really like them! I've had no problems with them. They write smoothly and yes, most definitely hold a ton of ink!

I have this pen and another smaller model. Both are amazing ink holders and allow me to go to all day seminars and write for two days or more. Great for vacations when you do not want to take ink separately.

Theyonly blob when almost empty

I have this pen and another smaller model. Both are amazing ink holders and allow me to go to all day seminars and write for two days or more. Great for vacations when you do not want to take ink separately.

Theyonly blob when almost empty

LOL ... that's why I call them my ink tankers.

very nice review, jon!

mine has the black cap, over size. the only thing i dislike is the fact that i have to write with the same ink for a very loooooooooooooooooooooooooong period time and i like changing ink colors regularly, o/w i get bored. OTT, great nibs, great pens.

i own 4 wality's (Airmail) and love them all -specially the smaller piston filler 77D's.

Nice review, I love my wality/airmail pens. the model in your review is the 69ts(transparent small). You also get a larger pen called the 69tl and an even larger model called the 71jt.

Best,

hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice review, I love my wality/airmail pens. the model in your review is the 69ts(transparent small). You also get a larger pen called the 69tl and an even larger model called the 71jt.

Best,

hari

Hari ... Where would I be able to find the measurements for the Airmails, so that I know which ones I have?

Edited by USMCMom

Hari, I have some 69TL on the way now. But, do you know where I might buy a 71JT?

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

Hari, I have some 69TL on the way now. But, do you know where I might buy a 71JT?

I'm interested in that also.

Best,

hari

Hari ... Where would I be able to find the measurements for the Airmails, so that I know which ones I have?

retrodesk.com has some info, you can peek in the reviews section here, but I think it's not as accurate as it should be b/c some of the posters and I aren't too sure what the model number is. I think Hari is the most knowledgeable guy around with regards to these pens, though.

Also did the 71JT come in the cool swirl colored caps and sections like the 69TS and 69LT did?

Very nice review, I love my Wality pens.

Parker VS (rust)

Parker "51" aerometric (navy grey)

Sheaffer Snorkel Saratoga (burgundy)

Sheaffer Imperial IV Touchdown (green)

I have this picture, maybe it will give some idea:

Top to bottom: 70B, 58C, 67T, 69TS, 69TL, 71JT and 71J.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Wality%2064/IMG_3355.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/Wality%2064/IMG_3356.jpg

I'm interested in that also.

I have a few 71JTs and 69TLs available, you can PM me.

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

awesome pics thanks! that really helps clear things up.

Great review, Jon, and even better story that goes with it!

I like these pens. I like the clear barrel and the amount of ink it can hold. If I were still in acquisition mode, I'd surely be tempted to get one.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 1 month later...

good luck to you. I usually don't have the patience for this kind of thing. This is also the first time I heard the strange story about the guy who got to owning a house by trading a paper clip. BTW, why is your "Grail" pen a pelikan M1000??

• 3 months later...

BTW, why is your "Grail" pen a pelikan M1000??

Yup. M1000 is my grail pen! :)