Cheap fountain pens for sale in Singapore?

Julie dreams

Hi, I am new to fountain pens and would like to start writing with one from young and I think I should start with a cheap and easier-to-use fountain pen before moving on to expensive ones. The problem is, I don't know where to buy one!!!So can anyone recommend me a brand and where to buy it in Singapore? And if possible please include the price, thanks.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Julie dreams

• unfilterd

• lingling

• tomcatfodder

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

check out mustafa in little india. lots of cheap pens in the pens section on the ground floor, and in the stationery section upstairs.

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

hi, welcome to fp's :-)...penmanila is spot on mustafa is a good start ..safari's f/m/b @S$34..al-star S$47..stationery section has varsity's ....

but check out more info/faq from here

Fountain Pens in SIngapore FAQ

So it is: we are not given a short life but we make it short, and we are not ill-supplied but wasteful of it ...wasted in heedless luxury and spent on no good activity ..."On the Shortness of Life: Life is Long If You Know How to Use It" - Seneca

I'd suggest that you try getting a Pilot 78G from eBay. It's a lot cheaper than the Safari at less than 10USD, and in my experience, the writing experience from the 78G far exceeds that of the Safari series. But this is just my opinion though, so take it with a pinch of salt.

If you do decide on a Safari, be warned that Mustafa only stocks them with M nibs, which write more like a B when compared to other brands.

Edit: By the way guys, for those of you that frequent Mustafa, do you have any idea where we can get those Pelikan inks in colours other than black and blue now? The last time I went, I was so surprised and disappointed that they stopped stocking all of the less common colours like Violet, Brown and Turquoise.

Edited by unfilterd

“Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily.” - Thomas Szasz

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks, by the way, I heard of a pilot pen called Pilot V-pen which is a disaposible fountain pen. Can anyone tell me where is it available in Singapore? Apparently it is not sold in popular bookstores. And can anyone recommend me any reliable online shops in Singapore which sells fountain pens(cheap ones please)? And if I am not wrong, Pilot Petit 1 is not sold in Singapore right?

Edited by Julie dreams

Hi Julie

The V-pen is the alternative name for the Varsity, which pelikan500 has mentioned above. It's also available at Kinokuniya, at the very princely price of SG$4. Quite expensive for a disposable pen if you ask me!

Anyways, I've found that the best place to buy cheap fountain pens online are not based in Singapore, but rather Hong Kong! You can check out www.pokydady.com for some cheap Pilot pens, or eBay for Jinhao (China brand) fountain pens, which I've found to provide decent value for money too.

Tim

Edited by unfilterd

“Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily.” - Thomas Szasz

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks Tim,

eh...sorry to trouble again, but can you tell me where is Kinokuniya? Thanks!

It's located at either the 3rd or 4th floor of the Takashimaya shopping centre in Orchard Road.

So can anyone recommend me a brand and where to buy it in Singapore?

You can go to Daiso, there is one in IMM, one in Plaza Singapura, they have 2-3 different models, and everything there is 2 dollar. They also have ink, brush and paper.

:W2FPN: Yay, I'm no longer the newest or possibly youngest Singaporean fp user!

I'd suggest that you try getting a Pilot 78G from eBay. It's a lot cheaper than the Safari at less than 10USD, and in my experience, the writing experience from the 78G far exceeds that of the Safari series. But this is just my opinion though, so take it with a pinch of salt.

If you do decide on a Safari, be warned that Mustafa only stocks them with M nibs, which write more like a B when compared to other brands.

Hmm, I use a lamy safari and a lamy vista and I have to say, I really like using them. Of course, I can't comment on the Pilot 78G because I have never used them before. The Safari and the Vista are very sturdy, I can just stuff them into my jeans pocket and not worry too much, and they teach the users how to grip the pen properly (it might frustrate you though). And in my humble opinion, they look cooler than the 78G, but that's just me! Also, just a word of warning for buying stuff online - the pen don't kill you, the shipping does:) Unless you get a few at one go, or get free shipping. Beware of fakes though!

If you don't mind paying more than what you will pay in Mustafa, some other shops, like Prints, NBC, Times (at Marina Square), Kikki.k (at ion)sells Safaris and Vistas as well but for $40+

I got mine from Nicholasyeo for $30 each. Not sure whether he still has any but there is never any harm asking ;) You can PM him and ask or if not, I can ask him for you, if you want.

The V-pen is the alternative name for the Varsity, which pelikan500 has mentioned above. It's also available at Kinokuniya, at the very princely price of SG$4. Quite expensive for a disposable pen if you ask me!

Timmmmm, how do you find them?! I can't seem to find them when I went to the stationery section...

As for the disposable part, you can actually refill it. This forum actually teaches loads of ways to refill this disposable pen.

There's one at Ngee Ann city (near orchard mrt, next to wisma atria, also called Takashimaya shopping centre) and one at the top (or near top) level of bugis junction. There is also NBC one level above the kino at Ngee Ann.

Hmm, according to your profile, you're in sec 1? Sad for you, march hols end tomorrow! If you are not too busy, there is actually a pen meet up on sun (27) at 1 at Han's Tasty Town, Great Eastern Building 1. If you can make it, and I can make it, we can be first-timers together :thumbup:

Cheers

Caroline

Edited by lingling
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

according to your profile you are in Sec 4 right? Ooh, what school are you in? And I am not sure how to go to the pen meet-up:( so sorry...

:W2FPN: Yay, I'm no longer the newest or possibly youngest Singaporean fp user!

Hmm, I use a lamy safari and a lamy vista and I have to say, I really like using them. Of course, I can't comment on the Pilot 78G because I have never used them before. The Safari and the Vista are very sturdy, I can just stuff them into my jeans pocket and not worry too much, and they teach the users how to grip the pen properly (it might frustrate you though). And in my humble opinion, they look cooler than the 78G, but that's just me! Also, just a word of warning for buying stuff online - the pen don't kill you, the shipping does:) Unless you get a few at one go, or get free shipping. Beware of fakes though!

If you don't mind paying more than what you will pay in Mustafa, some other shops, like Prints, NBC, Times (at Marina Square), Kikki.k (at ion)sells Safaris and Vistas as well but for $40+

I got mine from Nicholasyeo for $30 each. Not sure whether he still has any but there is never any harm asking ;) You can PM him and ask or if not, I can ask him for you, if you want.

Timmmmm, how do you find them?! I can't seem to find them when I went to the stationery section...

As for the disposable part, you can actually refill it. This forum actually teaches loads of ways to refill this disposable pen.

There's one at Ngee Ann city (near orchard mrt, next to wisma atria, also called Takashimaya shopping centre) and one at the top (or near top) level of bugis junction. There is also NBC one level above the kino at Ngee Ann.

Hmm, according to your profile, you're in sec 1? Sad for you, march hols end tomorrow! If you are not too busy, there is actually a pen meet up on sun (27) at 1 at Han's Tasty Town, Great Eastern Building 1. If you can make it, and I can make it, we can be first-timers together :thumbup:

Cheers

Caroline

Edited by Julie dreams

according to your profile you are in Sec 4 right? Ooh, what school are you in? And I am not sure how to go to the pen meet-up:( so sorry...

Haha actually, I graduated already but put my age as 16 here because my birthday is not over yet! If you have time, but you are not sure how to get there, I don't mind meeting up with you first then going there together:) PM me or something~

Sounds like some good places to buy cheap pens in Singapore.

All the pens mentioned above can be bought on eBay from reputable sellers at good prices also.

I would say the hierarchy of pens to try would be:

1st - Pilot V-Pen/Varsity - my benchmark for all other FPs. At $2-$3 it's a steal and writes well even if it looks a bit utilitarian. But at this price, it's a marvel. Plus if you are keen, you can refill with ink by pulling the nib out (a little strength needed).

2nd - Pilot 78G - a proper open nib, standard 'safe' styling, very dependable, but light pen. Just watch nib sizes as a Japanese M is a Western F.

3rd - Lamy Safari - for me a real step up from both of the above. A piece of modern art (especially the Vista or clear demonstrator) and extremely reliable and well made.Will take some punishment.

You might also consider using cartridges to start with, they are easier and no mess, and once you're hooked, go for converters and ink.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Edited by hologram

+1 for vista. Really nice pen, if you got a good quality one. It also can take unite alot of punishment. I suggest you get it from our own printhardcopy or at ngnee Ang city, the daimaru shopping centre. Mustafa's are pretty banged up.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer, etc, etc.

Edited by Albus

Thanks, but I think I want to be able to use a fountain pen in a correct way before I go for any pen meet-ups. So sorry...

Haha actually, I graduated already but put my age as 16 here because my birthday is not over yet! If you have time, but you are not sure how to get there, I don't mind meeting up with you first then going there together:) PM me or something~

Thanks, but I think I want to be able to use a fountain pen in a correct way before I go for any pen meet-ups. So sorry...

Aww, haha never mind then. Maybe next time though do join the yahoo and facebook group to get updates and meet up dates:)

Using a fp the correct way? A pen is a pen, it can be a good pen, a bad pen, a ballpoint, a rollerball, a fountain; but regardless of the pen in your hands, it's the words you write that matter.

You can hold the pen however you like, but I guess the proper way of holding it does help in writing the different scripts if you are planning to learn them. Have fun and I hope to see you soon!

For those who are looking for pelikan ink in other colours, you can try looking for them in the stationery stores on the 1st floor of Bras Brasah Complex or popular at level 3. Still looking for a 78 with B or stub nib in singapore. Seems like the only places that have stock is ebay or online stores. Sigh. Still pelikan ink is the most bang for buck. Bought my 60ml turquoise for less than SGD5 :)

edit: you can safaris in different nib sizes in mustafa. Just ask the assistant nicely and he/she will open the pens to get the nib size you want.

Edited by jakko

Haha, I just started this year as well after getting a Safari.

Though I do remember once having a V-pen in P5 from Popular and a Petit in Sec 1 from Acme Bkstore.

Not very nice in my honest opinion, won't give you much joy and pride in ownership. They seem more like 'novelty disposables' to me then. On an unrelated note, I actually thought that fountain pens gave you two different line widths you can choose from by flipping the nib over xD

Regarding cheap pens, the strangeknight link above is a good one to find cheap ones.

There's the Hero 336, a Parker 51-ish pen from Shanghai. $1.20 at Mustafa.

Pilot Birdie, $7.50 at Mustafa.

Mustafa is really THE place to go (Other than Daiso) for cheap ones.

Lamy's there go for around $10 cheaper. (Can buy you 1-2 bottles of inks or boxes of cartridges)

It'll make a really cool starter pen though, the smoothness and shiny nib will leave you hooked.

If $34 still seems a little too costly for a pen and you're not digging the super cheap ones cos they're disposable/ugly and you're not sure you really want, you can try a Parker Vector just for kicks. They're about 15-20 dollars at Mustafa.

Hope I helped =)

hi .. this is exactly what you should try to do next ...

come to a meet ..but let others know you are coming ... am sure they will bring good paper & ink & "cheap" starter pen for you to try out & help you select before buying ...

as to writing the correct way ... to me me as long as you use it ..its correct ..

attached is a pen i got for my daughter ...she uses it a few times, every week ...the caricature may appeal to you ..the size is perfect for her small hands

below the writing sample, i wrote with a waterman 94v ...just to show you the result is very similar ..but the writing experience is so very different ...you will only know this by trying out

the different pens in your hand ...another reason to go .. you'll discover a certain pen/nib/ink/paper combination a perfect fit, while to othes so-so ...cheers

post-33151-0-65166800-1301117222.jpg

So it is: we are not given a short life but we make it short, and we are not ill-supplied but wasteful of it ...wasted in heedless luxury and spent on no good activity ..."On the Shortness of Life: Life is Long If You Know How to Use It" - Seneca

For those who are looking for pelikan ink in other colours, you can try looking for them in the stationery stores on the 1st floor of Bras Brasah Complex or popular at level 3. Still looking for a 78 with B or stub nib in singapore. Seems like the only places that have stock is ebay or online stores. Sigh. Still pelikan ink is the most bang for buck. Bought my 60ml turquoise for less than SGD5 :)

edit: you can safaris in different nib sizes in mustafa. Just ask the assistant nicely and he/she will open the pens to get the nib size you want.

Ah, thanks jakko, for the tip on the Pelikan inks! If I remember correctly, the 60ml bottle should be going for $3 at Popular after the 10% membership discount right?

I'm afraid the cheapest option for the 78G for us is to buy it off eBay, as far as I know. It's not that expensive anyways, at less than 10USD for a pen + 3 cartridges & a converter.

Hmm.. the last time I went to Mustafa, all of the pens being displayed seemed to come only with the M nib. Were the extra nibs hidden in the cupboard or something?