The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot falcon s f nib

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2011 - 19:04

pics and writing scans to come later

Pilot Falcon Elabo SF Nib

Blue Wonder

Having just traded off my Pilot Custom 742 for a Bexley of more or less equal value (that I happen to like more) I had a hole where my modern flex pen used to be. Enter the Pilot Falcon!
A gift believe it or not. One kind FPNer loaned me two Danitrios to play with, and this Falcon. Very cool. Another reason to love FPN.

From pictures, this was a pen that I would have never considered, not even almost. It's just sort of... ugly as all getout. At least in pictures. In person, holding it, looking at it, writing with it, all the ugliness sort of melts away once nib hits paper and the magic of this little thing kicks you square in the teeth.

First impressions, the looks of this thing impressed the hell out of me. I mean, who'da thought that seeing something in person would change completely the way you feel about it? This isn't an ugly pen! It's beautiful! That color! It's a shiny blue, like car paint, but on a pen. Cool! The little metal bits... are, uh... chrome! The clip is very cool looking as well. I think this is my favorite part of this pen. That little clip. I wrote a review of the Pilot 78g last year sometime and said I hated the look of the clip. Somebody responded with "it's distinctly Japansese." This clip is even more so. And I love it. It makes me think of a Samurai helmet.

Unscrewing the cap reveals this funky lookin little bent up nib thingy. Meh. The section looks kinda... boring and plain as well. But then you hold it and begin to write. More magic! It punches you in the face like a backfired Harry Potter spell! It makes you fall in love with it! What an amazing little pen! This thing works unposted for hands like mine, or posted for hands like yours, or his, or maybe even that lady over there. But me, I like this one unposted.

The weight of it is very nice. Heavy enough, but not a lead turd, and not a feather the size of a banana. It's metal, with a plastic section, and it's brilliant.

The funky lookin nib is just about one of the nicest nibs I've ever used on a pen ever! Do you hear me!? Should I increase the font size?? And with a little pressure the derned thing FLEXes! I love it! It's firm enough that I can write quite quickly with little line variation, but soft enough that I can get that variation without having to slow down and think about it. Very cool. And the flow seems good enough to keep up with quick drawing, too.

It's got that con-70 filler which, I know, holds a ton of ink, but just doesn't do it for me. I mean, it's WAY better than the 20 and 50 fillers (they're lousy) but I just don't like how stiff the little button is. It's slippery to hold onto and I worry about accidentally jamming the nib into the bottom of whatever bottle I'm filling from. So for that reason I've got a con-20 on there. Easy.

And as far as a pen for drawing goes, I don't see how you could do much better than this. I can see why so many people like it to draw with it. It's just... great-tastic-bu-tastic! I mean really, how can you beat that?

Love this pen.

Posted Image

Edited by watch_art, 19 March 2011 - 20:03.

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

Sponsored Content

#2 benkalziqi

benkalziqi

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 22:35

I'm glad that you like it so much! I echo most of your sentiments, and really do love the clip--the subtle curvature, the way it's slightly faceted... and you're right, it's very different in person than online. It's very understated/no-frills, but it's classy as hell.

EDIT: Oh, and the nib and feed! The nib is so simple, but the curves and thin-ness are delightful! And the feed has no visible fins! And rhodium is the best around.

Edited by benkalziqi, 19 March 2011 - 22:38.

#3 SlipyNaricis2112

SlipyNaricis2112

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:29

It was definitely my favorite pen while I had it. I don't get why people seem to think the nib is ugly in pictures though haha, that was one of the reason's I bought it. Okay, I bought it for the flex, but you get what I'm saying. Enjoy that thing, I sure did.

#4 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:26

The one I had wrote exactly like yours does.
But, other than as a novelty I had no use for it and I sold it.

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Inked and Ready

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2011 - 18:55

I love my Falcon. It seems only to improve with age. The line variation is fantastic and it seems to improve my handwriting. If I lost all my pens at once, the Falcon would be the pen I would rush to replace.
www.lettermatters.com
P.O. Box 196 Kingsburg, CA 93631

#6 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:00

as promised. a pic. albeit a lousy one, but hey... when you lose your fancy camera, what are you to do?
kidding. it's at school.

Posted Image

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#7 benkalziqi

benkalziqi

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:28

Opposite colors! :D

Posted Image

#8 alvarez57

alvarez57

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2011 - 15:05

Glad you got it for you were looking for a flexible nib. I have one in plastic (resin) and it has shown to be quite durable.
Enjoy your pen!

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

#9 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• 15,497 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:35

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|