• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tumbleweedtoo

• opitzs

• elderberry

• Ghost Plane

I also had some problems with my HS out of the box. However, after a short break-in period, it is writing nicely. What is disappointing is that Visconti customer service never responded to my email inquiry. The seller, however (Italianpens) on eBay did promptly respond and offered a full refund if I was not satisfied. Glad it is working as I really like the pen.

I sent my HS back to Italy to get my ink sweating issue taken care of. They sent it back to me and I still have the ink sweating issue. The pen store just sent it back to Italy for a second time to see if they can fix the leak. I am very disappointed with their attention to detail and their customer service. Has anyone else experience this after they sent it for the repair work?

I bought a Pelikan M800 Demonstrator from italianpens that looks wonderful.

The first time I filled it the pen wrote like a dream, when I went to refill it the entire threaded brass filler pulled straight out of the barrel!

As a machinist, I know about this stuff, the brass tube had no threads on it all, even though the clear resin barrel was threaded perfectly {I still have the pictures, it's really unreal how it ever left the Pelikan factory like that!].

This was not the fault of the seller, italianpens, this was a clear and obvious defect that should have been caught during assembly by someone in the manufacturing stage.

I contacted Lou right away, the owner of italianpens, sent him pictures of what I'd found too via e-mail along with my home phone number.

At first all I got was a generic reply from one of his employees, telling me Lou was out of town for awhile and that kinda put me off, wrote back and asked that he contact me ASAP and sure enough he'd called me at home on his dime and took care of everything for me in the kindest, most apologetic fashion that really touched me.

So while it's a pain to buy a new high-end pen and find serious problems, especially a Visconti or a Pelikan or anything costing so much that should be prefect right out of the box, please don't blame the vendor seeing I've seen and heard all too often about the sloppy work being done at more than one major high-end manufacturer of late.

I am not affiliated with italianpens, nor am I related to or get any kickbacks from Lou the owner, I just wanted to chime in and let others know that my experience speaking with Lou was a complete gentleman, very professional, willing to go the extra mile to make me happy. My experience with Lou when a problem arouse with an item purchased from him was undoubtedly one of the best business dealings and talks I've ever had with the owner of any business!

Edited for type errors, need bed now, g'nite y'all!

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

I concur with the above comment about Lou and Italianpens -less my post be misinterpreted as being directed to the seller. It was not. Italianpens responded promptly and professionally and I would gladly do business with them again. To keep the record straight, I heard back from Visconti this morning offering to waive the repair fee (which is weird since I thought there was a warranty). Regardless, the pen is now working great.

• 3 years later...

Reading through this thread, looks like that by far I am not alone. Same issues, same 1.3 stub.

Never will buy another Visconti.

-k

So many issues can just be avoided by just choosing a retailer that really test the pen before they leave the shop.

I ha d so many issues with Italian pens , pelikans ,...

I just stopped buying them , and now buy pens where the nib can be ground to your wish.

Onoto , Conid, amongst others

• 2 years later...

I purchased a HS Maxi and it continues to have problems till date even after sending it back to Visconti.

- Leaking section near the band

- Ink leaking into cap

Visconti your quality has deteriorated.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd reach out to coles again for another replacement. While I agree, there are problems with these nibs that just baffles me (when pilot and lamy can hammer out pens a quadrillion at a time) Coles is just outrageously good when it comes to customer service. I have a few small problems with my HS maxi having really annoying hard starting at really low writing angles (such as when I have my hand hanging off the end of a thick notepad) and had to send my divina metropolitan back (and ultimately return it due to a design flaw that eventually ruins the pen as ink gets caught in the translucent space between the metal ring that the nib/feed mount and the translucent celluloid) and have decided I don't love the F nib anyways, and want more of an EF, I'm just going to use it and be conscious of the writing angle until I get a chance to take it to a nibmeister. Problems or not, I can't say enough good things about Erin at Coles of London. Definitely some customer service that Philip Wang of TWSBI could take notes on.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I'd reach out to coles again for another replacement. While I agree, there are problems with these nibs that just baffles me (when pilot and lamy can hammer out pens a quadrillion at a time) Coles is just outrageously good when it comes to customer service. I have a few small problems with my HS maxi having really annoying hard starting at really low writing angles (such as when I have my hand hanging off the end of a thick notepad) and had to send my divina metropolitan back (and ultimately return it due to a design flaw that eventually ruins the pen as ink gets caught in the translucent space between the metal ring that the nib/feed mount and the translucent celluloid) and have decided I don't love the F nib anyways, and want more of an EF, I'm just going to use it and be conscious of the writing angle until I get a chance to take it to a nibmeister. Problems or not, I can't say enough good things about Erin at Coles of London. Definitely some customer service that Philip Wang of TWSBI could take notes on.

Thank you. That is good to know. It's been a lot of years since I've had to send any of my Visconti in for service.