The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

How to replace an Esterbrook Sac

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#181 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,383 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:36

I replaced my first Esterbrook sac yesterday thanks to the info in this post. Thank you!

My pen had been restored just a few years ago. Not sure why the sac failed. But, thankfully, getting the section out was very simple. I do have a question, however. I got some traces of shellac on the section. Can I safely use alcohol to clean it up (being careful, obviously, not to get any alcohol on the nipple/shellac/sac area)? Is regular isopropyl alcohol OK?

Thanks!

Matt

The section of an Esterbrook J is made from hard rubber.  It is safe to get some alcohol on it but it can cause the HR to fade but will not damage it structurally as it might an acetate barrel.

If you want to remove some shellac you can use mineral spirits.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sponsored Content

#182 mtbradley

mtbradley

Settling in...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2018 - 14:54

Very helpful. Thanks all!

Currently: Sailor Pro Gear Black/Rhodium M/F with Sailor Jentle Black; Sailor Pro Gear Yellow/Rhodium M/F with Diamine Sargasso Sea; Sailor Pro Gear Slim Sky Demonstrator/Rhodium M with Sailor Jentle Blue; Sheaffer Touchdown Imperial VIII M with Diamine Asa Blue; Lamy AL-star Ocean Blue M with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue; Lamy Safari Red F with Sheaffer Skrip Red for grading papers; Lamy Safari Neon Yellow F with Diamine Kelly Green; Esterbrook J Blue 9668 with Noodlers Ottoman Azure; Esterbrook J Red 9668 with Diamine Red Dragon; Esterbrook J Copper 2668 with Diamine Ancient Copper; Noodler's Ahab Clear Demonstrator with Diamine Midnight; Kaweco Skyline Sport M with Diamine Grey; Staedtler Mars Lumograph HB and Tombow Mono HB

"Reading maketh a full man; conference a ready man; and writing an exact man." Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Sponsored Content

|