How wet should original Centuries be?

Catsmelt

I've got a classic Century -- my first FP -- with a very wet medium nib.

Did I mention it is very wet?

Is this characteristic of Centuries? Does this only happen with the medium nibs?

In all other respects, I really like the pen, but it bleeds like a stuck pig on paper that all other pens and inks behave well. Yes, I exaggerate a bit. But it's so wet, I don't want to use it very much.

Would swapping in a fine nib do the trick? Because the pen has some sentimental value attached, what would it take to change the nib?

R

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Catsmelt

• Ruaidhri

• Russ

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Catsmelt, I had a Century Classic that wrote exactly as you described. When ink was low, it was really perfect. When full, however, it was close but not quite wet enough to stop using. It was love-hate.

If you troll e-bay, you may get lucky and find a good fine nib section at a reasonable price.

Beware, however: I believe there is a tendency for the nibs to get loose and wobble -- even rotate -- in the section. Mine did. And I've heard others on this forum experience the same trouble.

If you get a good, solid nib section, you're in business. Be sure to ask the seller to grip the actual nib and try to wobble / rotate it in the section. Then listen carefully.

Good luck!

I had a similar problem with a few pens.

Read up on DWL, Richard Binder and some othere.

Consensus seemed to be:

Hold pen with nib up.

Using fingernail press one tine inwards and slightly under the other.

Do the same for right hand tine.

General idea is to tighten the slit a little.

Takes a little fiddling around but worked perfectly and no damage to pens.

Beautiful blue fingers :D

First time I tried it it was heart in mouth but I quickly discovered it is quite simple.

Don't overdo the pressure, but don't be afraid of the nib either.

BTW -

1. On your own head :)

2. Thanks again to the Wise Ones for sharing their knowledge.

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Russ & Ruaidhri,

Thanks for the response! With not much to lose, I think my strategy will be to go for the self-help first. If that doesn't work (or if I ruin the nib), I'll go search on ebay.

Thanks

R