The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

new member introduction

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 demeter

demeter

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:10

Hello, I'm from Morden, Manitoba, Canada, and I've been fascinated by this site for several days now. A charming bunch of people you seem to be! Slightly obsessed, I suspect, but who isn't? I've gotten the bug for fountain pens relatively recently, probably from a green conscience...and I like to write things out longhand. This typing on a keyboard has always been H & P Method (hunt & peck) for me, so I appreciate the glide of pen, or even pencil, over paper. I can remember having Sheaffer fountain pens in Grammar School, and I owned a Parker (probably 45)in High School, but I fell out of sync with fountain pens just by growing up. Sad admission, eh? My brother bought my a Mont Blanc roller ball for a graduation present (I still have it!), and I have owned Parker Jotters (we called them T-ball Jotters) since then. Awhile ago I purchased a Caran d'Ache ballpoint pen for writing at work, and I think that made me aware of how much I like a really fine writing instrument. Inevitably I started seeking out fountain pens. Fountain pens are wonderful!! I now possess a Waterman Expert, and two beautiful Sailor pens...plus a couple of cheap Hero accountant pens for work. I've gotten my youngest daughter interested in fountain pens, and someday I'll have to spring for a good Pelikan because they are her absolute favourite. I direct a daycare centre in a nearby city, and maybe...just maybe...d'ya think I can get them to print with fountain pens?

Sponsored Content

#2 johnr55

johnr55

The New Deal

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:04

A hearty welcome from one of the Texas delegation! Your growing up with FP's mirrors mine. I'm so glad you came back to them. Truly, one wonders how so many others have forgotten the quiet pleasure of having a writing instrument as personal as a watch. I have nothing but the greatest respect for those who choose to work with children; alas, I don't have the patience or the gift. Please participate when you can.

#3 mike1

mike1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:14

Welcome to FPN. I'm am another recently returned to using fountain pens. They are really great aren't they? Enjoy yourself here.
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

#4 Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri

Ruaidhrí

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2006 - 13:53

As I just posted to another newcomer:

My manners are slipping blush.gif
Usually I have the courtesy to welcome new members as quickly as possible. This week I'm afraid I've been 'off song'.

Welcome to FPN. I trust you'll enjoy it here - it is a friendly spot.

Regards,
Ruaidhrí
Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

#5 Kalessin

Kalessin

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,289 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 21:29

Welcome to FPN!
-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,
chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.
(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

#6 Judybug

Judybug

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,197 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:18

Welcome to FPN! I still enjoy writing with those good old Sheaffer school pens.

Judybug
So many pens, so little time!

Posted Image

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

#7 Mannenhitsu

Mannenhitsu

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:33

Hello and welcome aboard the FPN! Gotta love those old Sheaffer School Pens. I have one in my collection that I loved to use for writing those dreaded Bluebook exams in college. Ah that bring back memories and sore fingers from my history classes, before I discovered FPs. wink.gif

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks
"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

#8 demeter

demeter

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:15

Thanks Ron,
I don't have any of those old pens left...tried bidding for a pen/pencil set from the 50's on ebay, but it was way more precious to someone else...and the photo looked suspect. I still remember the penmanship classes we were all subject to...Sister Mary Holywater trying to make us all write exactly the same way. I dreaded the static, but I guess the flow remained.
Andrew

#9 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:45

Welcome to FPN, demeter! biggrin.gif
I grew up in Thompson, Manitoba ("North of 55", as they like to say) and often travelled to Winnipeg with my parents. Can't say I've been through Morden, but I do know people from Carman and Morris!

Are there any pen shops in the Wpg area?
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#10 mike1

mike1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,578 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:22

Another welcome from Texas. I agree that most of us are somewhat obsessed.
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Sponsored Content

|