Morita Sailor Pro Gear Slim Mini Review

keisuke_z

The beautiful turquoise Morita arrived on Tuesday of this week, and after getting it inked up and surprising my wife with it, I had a chance to sit down and really try it out.

The form is awesome - I just love how small and compact it is when capped. When posted, it's just about the perfect size for my hands and writing style. I got it in a fine nib - not realizing that my wife likes a thicker lin when writing (that's a fail on my part :embarrassed_smile: ) so she's not too enthralled to write with it... however I quite like the Japanese version of "fine" and it works great for me. How smooth it writes definitely depends on the quality of the paper - when writing on standard copy paper, it's quite scratchy and you have to either write very lightly or add a bit more pressure to let more ink flow.

When I test wrote on sketch paper, it was pretty decent, and when I test wrote on my Midori Traveler's Notebook paper, it was super smooth. All in all, a fantastic pen - hoping it seems some more usage, and that it doesn't sit around at home collecting dust. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to get away with using it as a work pen... although the black Sapporo Mini I have on the way might work =) For now, I'll stick with my MYU701.

I'll try to post photos soon!

Cheers

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• clickiechick

• keisuke_z

• Algester

• Beth_Mntgmry

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd like to see photos! I've had my eye on a Sailor mini for some time, and this one has such a unique color.

How would you characterize the width of the section? From pictures, it looks like the pen is a good thickness, but that may be just a trick of proportion (kind of how short people look chunkier than they really are).

Wish this color were easily obtainable in the states!

Wassup wid that, homes? Looks like you're WANT to feel the hurt. -ethernautrix

I'd like to see photos! I've had my eye on a Sailor mini for some time, and this one has such a unique color.

How would you characterize the width of the section? From pictures, it looks like the pen is a good thickness, but that may be just a trick of proportion (kind of how short people look chunkier than they really are).

Wish this color were easily obtainable in the states!

I just attached a photo - sorry, it's from my cell phone so not the greatest photo. Once all my bedroom painting duties are fulfilled, I'll break out the dSLR and take some proper shots.

The pen is a pretty decent thickness - I actually find it quite comfortable to hold. My hands are pretty average sized - I can't palm a basketball but I can definitely reach beyond an octave on the piano. Posted, I could write for lengthy periods with it. Without the cap posted though, the pen's far too small for me.

post-61675-0-62299100-1299918668.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I really love that color. Thanks to this review (and Taki's) I ended up getting a red Sailor mini. What a wonderful pen it's been! Someone on these forums called their yellow version a "bumblebee"...my red one reminds me of a ladybug, so that's the nickname it's stuck with.

I have a fine nib too, and have found it to be like you have, very smooth and just fun to use. And so far I haven't run into any paper it can't handle, even my cheaper stuff. Too bad about the nib size for your wife, but it sounds like you're making it work for you!

How was the ordering process for you on this one? I really like that blue, but it seems like kind of a hassle to order overseas.

I have this pen - it's a real favorite. :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

@clickiechick: The ordering process on this was pretty fun. I ordered it directly off the Morita website, with my Japanese colleague on Office Communicator providing me with realtime translation and instructions as I emailed screenshots of the page over.. I actually ended up buying a black one for myself from another seller in the US for pretty much the same price, and I love it - although I'm pretty shy to use it at work, where most of the client folks all use standard office pens (ie, the quintessential Bic) and I don't want to stand out too much. I actually find I can get away using my MYU701 and not get noticed vs the nice bright shiny nib of the Sailor.. interestingly, the nib is so fine that I actually enjoyed using this to draw out the framing diagrams for our fireplace renovation... :lol:

@clickiechick: The ordering process on this was pretty fun. I ordered it directly off the Morita website, with my Japanese colleague on Office Communicator providing me with realtime translation and instructions as I emailed screenshots of the page over.. I actually ended up buying a black one for myself from another seller in the US for pretty much the same price, and I love it - although I'm pretty shy to use it at work, where most of the client folks all use standard office pens (ie, the quintessential Bic) and I don't want to stand out too much. I actually find I can get away using my MYU701 and not get noticed vs the nice bright shiny nib of the Sailor.. interestingly, the nib is so fine that I actually enjoyed using this to draw out the framing diagrams for our fireplace renovation... :lol:

I'm short on translators this month, otherwise...I probably would have made the jump! Guess that's good news for my wallet, but still.

I love the shiny nib on the sailor. It does get noticed in a horrible way. I pulled it out at a recent meeting for a signature and the lady next to me put down her pencil and asked if she could borrow my pen. Luckily, I had a ballpoint right next to me. I think she was a bit disappointed when I handed it to her instead of the Sailor mini, but I wasn't willing to risk that beautiful nib.

• 4 years later...

I'm looking at ordering one of these and am just wondering how you went about it. Did you contact them to ask if they would ship it to Canada? And I thought I read that they don't accept credit card or something so someone had to figure out how to transfer the money to them. Is that what you did as well?

Morita do not accept credit card in his shop in Osaka, but you should be able to pay by credit card in his online shop.

I have bought mine in his shop in Osaka last January.