Flea Market Goody! Golden Ringtop

Got this at the flea market today. Went in looking for Arkansas wetstones (about fifty cents a piece) and saw this in the glass display case.

Marked $35. SOLD. We got to talking. I told her how I came to her store looking for arkansas stones. She knows the guys who sent me, so she gave me the pen for $25!!!!

Haven't inked it up yet. But that's coming soon.

And I don't know if the box is for this pen, but it's marked Ejekto or something. Pat. Pending.

Barrel says 14K. It posts. It was posted when I picked it up. Stuck on there tight. Yikes. Doubt I'll be doing that at all. No name in the cartouche. But looks like somebody tried to scratch something in there. EDD?

Nib marked Edward Todd and Co.

N.Y.

gallery_41188_3_152180.jpg

gallery_41188_3_164278.jpg

gallery_41188_3_53682.jpg

gallery_41188_3_81526.jpg

gallery_41188_3_106561.jpg

gallery_41188_3_196515.jpg

Here it is on top of a gift card for size reference.

gallery_41188_3_62467.jpg

gallery_41188_3_113980.jpg

gallery_41188_3_167413.jpg

gallery_41188_3_151884.jpg

gallery_41188_3_121990.jpg

gallery_41188_3_2109.jpg

gallery_41188_3_77528.jpg

gallery_41188_3_160186.jpg

gallery_41188_3_123245.jpg

gallery_41188_3_30570.jpg

gallery_41188_3_88383.jpg

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• alvarez57

• Roger W.

• Mauricio

Top Posters In This Topic

Sumgai?

Very nice indeed! Have you written with it?

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Just inked it up! Didn't even need to clean it. Whoever had it last had cleaned it quite thoroughly.

And the little scratches in the cartouche says 2500. Darn. But you really need loupes to see it. Very faint.

Beautiful little pen.

fpn_1299381871__writing.jpg

I wonder what it's worth now.

I also wanna know how the edges of the nib imprint wore away. Did somebody just sit there and play with the nib while waiting on something? Seems odd.

Edited by watch_art

Very nice little pen. I have a Wahl that also is a very flexible pen. Is yours scratchy?

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

excellent find my friend :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

it's a TINY bit scratchy when I flex it, but I think that's due to the little pitting in the one tine. The tippins is worn nearly to the gold, too, so this thing has seen some real use.

The imprint likely wasn't fully struck on making, rather than having worn down over the years... although a pen predating the appearance of Mabie is not at all young.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Okay, that does make more sense. Because it's uniformly worn on both sides of the nib. So Edward Todd came first? I should do a bit of research. This is definitely my oldest pen. And eyedropper! That makes it even better!!

edit:

and after a little reading, decided this is one I think I'll keep. Regardless of worth, it's one I won't come across again, at a price I'd be willing to pay. Considering myself lucky on finding this one.

cheers!

Edited by watch_art

Nice find! Beautifully flexy too!

"Manuscripts don't burn." - Mikael Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita

Hello Shawn,

See how life balances out; you're arm doesn't hurt as bad now, does it? ;) :D

Congratulations,

Sean http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/ribbons/black2.gif

Aka, the friendly curmudgeon :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

The pen is an Edward Todd as the nib indicates. Also with the barrel being marked 14K this is a solid 14K pen! I'd say it is worth closer to $150. Edward Todd was made around the same time as Mabie Todd's - their relationship is fuzzy. Edward Todd died in 1900 and his son took over the business. Lever fillers would have been made after 1915 with your eyedropper predating these but, not by much. Not a mass producer of pens but very high quality.

Roger W.

http://www.sheafferflattops.com/images/EdwardTodds.jpg

Edward Todds

Edited by Roger W.

SWEET! Thanks for the info. This is one I'll be holding onto. Think I should go ahead and get it retipped? The one tine has a fat pit in it, and I can just imagine it popping off while writing. And if I keep it, I will use it... even if only rarely. But it's so neat!

If the body is marked 14K and given the current gold price the $150 is closer to scrap value. I would think a reasonable price for gold fill or rolled gold but not what is refered to as solid gold. Times are changing.

If the body is marked 14K and given the current gold price the $150 is closer to scrap value. I would think a reasonable price for gold fill or rolled gold but not what is refered to as solid gold. Times are changing.

Rolled gold might get pushed by the price of gold but that would be a $60-80 pen not $150. $150+ ringtops have to be Sheaffer slotted filigrees or scroll filigrees in gold fill or they have to be 14K solid. This is a small pen and would have to weigh 6 grams to get to your $150 scrap (and there is a certain amount of weight in hard rubber) that's a lot of weight for a ringtop. Rarity does enter into it but that is tempered by desirability. Take a 14K Sheaffer ringtop with a 2 nib. That's a decent sized pen and very rare. Scrap will have you at least at $150. With how rarely these are encountered $900 wouldn't be a bad price but, it's a ringtop and doesn't have the same draw. Typically I've paid in the $300 range. I think scrap on the Edward Todd would be closer to $80 and the collectibility is at $150 or maybe a little higher. Not a lot of people out there looking for little solid gold Edward Todd's but, they are real sweet pens. I have a 14K Edward Todd 2 size with matching pencil and pocket knife in velvet box - all pieces monogramed including the box (sorry, don't have better pic handy).

Roger W.

http://sheafferflattops.com/images/ringtops11.jpg

Towards left in the middle is the Todd set