The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Lefty Changes Writing Position

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 sbruno33

sbruno33

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:07

Was always unhappy with my writing. Always dragging my hand through what was just written, smudging paper and hand.
Couldn't use erasable pens, forget about fountain pens, (or so I thought; now see a number of lefty over-writers using).
Somewhere along the way developed a liking for fine point Japanese gel pens, (a gateway drug to fountain pens for sure).
While surfing for pens and handwriting improvement articles, got the idea to try changing to writing underhand.
A few weeks getting used to it and now a few years later, and many fountain pens collected, feel very uncomfortable overwriting.

Have any other lefties changed to underwriting?
So the writer who breeds more words than he needs,
is making a chore for the reader who reads.
-Dr. Seuss

Sponsored Content

#2 crouse-tn

crouse-tn

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:32

Was always unhappy with my writing. Always dragging my hand through what was just written, smudging paper and hand.
Couldn't use erasable pens, forget about fountain pens, (or so I thought; now see a number of lefty over-writers using).
Somewhere along the way developed a liking for fine point Japanese gel pens, (a gateway drug to fountain pens for sure).
While surfing for pens and handwriting improvement articles, got the idea to try changing to writing underhand.
A few weeks getting used to it and now a few years later, and many fountain pens collected, feel very uncomfortable overwriting.

I have been a lefty all of my life. I guess that I should be surprised but I never have written over-writer or with a hook. After I saw that hand position, I always thought it looked painful. I have has much more success with tilting the paper.
Michael

#3 lefty928

lefty928

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:13

I did. Certainly helped the smudged side of the finger problem and allowed me to use rollerballs in a pinch.
Posted Image

#4 Tuan92129

Tuan92129

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:56

I find over-writing with the notebook tilted 25 degrees counter clockwise helps prevent any smudging and a more consistent forward slant angle.

#5 caligatia

caligatia

Extremely Rare

• All Closed Accounts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:00

I started underwriting in high school and never looked back. Out of habit I overwrite to sign things, unless I remember that I don't do that anymore and sign correctly. :)

#6 sbruno33

sbruno33

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:28

Just tried over-writing, with the paper at a counter-clockwise angle, smudges all over.
Can't see how over-writers can use fountain pens and not end up with a mess.
(Ink takes while to dry on my Rhodia notepads).

Miss my writing having a slant, writing now is pretty much straight up.
Do you underwriters have a forward slant to your writing?
So the writer who breeds more words than he needs,
is making a chore for the reader who reads.
-Dr. Seuss

#7 Skyclad

Skyclad

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:28

I find over-writing with the notebook tilted 25 degrees counter clockwise helps prevent any smudging and a more consistent forward slant angle.

Since starting with a Fountain Pen, I have begun to do this as well and it seems to be working pretty good for me. And I love that forward slant it gives. :)

#8 caligatia

caligatia

Extremely Rare

• All Closed Accounts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 16:06

Mine has no slant at all. Straight up and down.

#9 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 16:18

Under for FP.

Smear right through the ink for ballpoint.

#10 InkyBrian

InkyBrian

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 18:00

It's funny. I underwrite for my calligraphy and overwrite for my other writing. I'm just now staring to try the whole underwriting thing for my FP and general writing, but man, that's some terrible penmanship right now. Looks like I have some time and practice ahead of me.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain

#11 SheilaM

SheilaM

Parrot Wrangler

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 18:20

My mother made arrangements for penmanship instruction for me after school in the fourth grade to break me of the tendency to try to write overhanded. Her sister, my aunt, writes overhanded and her writing is (sorry, Aunt Linda) pretty awful, so I think Mom was afraid of a repeat.

Actually I recall writing with pencils underhanded all my life, but when they started teaching us cursive I got confused, couldn't figure it out on my own and started trying every which way of holding a pen...thus the lessons. I don't think I could write overhanded now if I tried.

My writing is fairly straight up and down, I think; a bit of a slant to the right. The technique I use looks pretty much like the mirror image of a right-handed person.

Edit to add: just tried the overhanded thing with a FP, and I have a whole new appreciation for those that mention the smear factor. Wow! I had no idea how bad it was. Not to mention it looks like I wrote the sentence while strung out on something or other and after being awake for 48 hours...or I'm emulating Charlie Sheen... :roflmho:

Edited by SheilaM, 05 March 2011 - 18:24.

"Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

Posted Image
My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness Instagram: sheilamcl Pinterest: SheilaM

#12 rapid_butterfly

rapid_butterfly

Edged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 March 2011 - 18:47

I'm a LH over writer (as I understand the term), and while those who've had the misfortune of reading my letters will tell you my writing isn't very pretty, I don't have smudging problems as long as the ink dries with reasonable speed.

Where your eyes go, the car goes. - Garth Stein

#13 caligatia

caligatia

Extremely Rare

• All Closed Accounts
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 00:05

I'm a LH over writer (as I understand the term), and while those who've had the misfortune of reading my letters will tell you my writing isn't very pretty, I don't have smudging problems as long as the ink dries with reasonable speed.

Bah. You have nice handwriting. Very legible.

#14 crouse-tn

crouse-tn

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:52

Mine has no slant at all. Straight up and down.

Mine letters are straight up most of the time no matter how much I try to get a slant. Maybe with more practice. . .
Michael

#15 Turlough

Turlough

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:11

It's funny. I underwrite for my calligraphy and overwrite for my other writing. I'm just now staring to try the whole underwriting thing for my FP and general writing, but man, that's some terrible penmanship right now. Looks like I have some time and practice ahead of me.

I pretty much do the same as you. I've been an overwriter since the 1940s so it's kinda ingrained by now. in 1980 I started doing calligraphy. It took much practice using italic pens as an underwriter but eventually I got reasonably proficient. At times I will use my right hand for calligraphy, but the free flowing stuff requires much practice. Needless to say I have most of the books on calligraphy, most very good, but Margaret Shepard's "Learn Calligraphy" has some very helpful info. on pen positions specifically for left handers.

Anyone interested in their lefthanded style might be interested in John Mottishaw's site. He has the best discription of different leftys writing style that I've seen on the web. http://www.nibs.com/...and writers.htm

Turlough
There is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.
- Seán O'Faolain

#16 Skyclad

Skyclad

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:17

Anyone interested in their lefthanded style might be interested in John Mottishaw's site. He has the best discription of different leftys writing style that I've seen on the web. http://www.nibs.com/...and writers.htm

I would be a # 3, except that I point the tip of the fountain pen in the direction im writing, and not towards me.

#17 Turlough

Turlough

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2011 - 13:53

I would be a # 3, except that I point the tip of the fountain pen in the direction im writing, and not towards me.

Yes, I'm pretty much the same. Kinda between a #3 & #6 for my normal cursive writing and NOT using an italic pen.
Now when I use a popsicle stick it's a whole different story. :headsmack:
Turlough
There is only one admirable form of the imagination: the imagination that is so intense that it creates a new reality, that it makes things happen.
- Seán O'Faolain

#18 leksluthah

leksluthah

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2011 - 14:43

I'm somewhere between #6 and #7. It feels most natural to me, and by using fountain pens I think I've gotten a bit better with my penmanship. My problem is that I cannot seem to find a great way to do calligraphy comfortably. :hmm1:

#19 Biber

Biber

...but that was another lifetime

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 15:03

I consciously changed from an over-writer to an under-writer at about the 4th grade (I'm 47 now). I don't quite remember exactly why I did it but it must have had something to do with smudging. It certainly didn't help my legibility. Today my writing looks labored and inconsistant even when I'm practiced and take care to write legibly. If I revert to overhand, my writing is more consistent and perhaps more classically Spencerian in look, though it tends to have a certain jaggedness about it. My mom is an under-writer of a sort, writing with the paper turnerd clockwise almost 90 degrees such that she's pulling the pen along as she writes. Her script is very pleasing and quite attractive. Perhaps very odd for a lefty, she actually likes to write!
"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

#20 tigger23505

tigger23505

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:12

What I found happening to me was that with fountain pens I am an underwriter. With ball point pens I tend to hook around an over the line. I think that it is because ball point pens require more pressure to roll the ball.

OTOH, I came back to fountain pens late and had the opportunity to really think about what and how I was doing things, so a more intentional learning process may have been a factor.

YMMV and good luck.
festina lente

Sponsored Content

|