Waterman's Ideal Fountain Pen

ricojohnny

I just inherited a Waterman's Ideal Fountain Pen with the following engraved with the following information: CLIP CAP 18 K gold filled PAT 9/26/05

Pen PAT 884 5/23/1899

Penn USA 8/4/1903

Does anyone know the value of this fountain pen?

You can contact me at jono243@aol.com or cell 917-710-6165

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ricojohnny

• Procyon

• arrow king

• Freddy

Sorry, but that is not really enough information for anyone to guess the value. With the information you gave, I would say that the value would probably be from $5 to $2000. You should really post a picture. Is there a number on the end of the barrel? Most Waterman's have one, and it would help a lot in valuing the pen.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

More info please, picture would be better. If 18K gold filled a bit upscale. The standard in gold fill , or rolled gold, is 14K, and in most caps such as 1/10 or 1/12 10 or 12K. While the clip cap patent would be on clip, the other patents would normally be imprinted on the hard rubber body, unless it is both cap and lower end covered in gold fill? If so much more valuable than a basic , say 52 hard rubber.

I just inherited a Waterman's Ideal Fountain Pen with the following engraved with the following information: CLIP CAP 18 K gold filled PAT 9/26/05

Pen PAT 884 5/23/1899

Penn USA 8/4/1903

By the way, the number on the bottom of the pen is 0757

Edited by ricojohnny

Sorry, but that is not really enough information for anyone to guess the value. With the information you gave, I would say that the value would probably be from $5 to $2000. You should really post a picture. Is there a number on the end of the barrel? Most Waterman's have one, and it would help a lot in valuing the pen.

Pen PAT 884 5/23/1899

Penn USA 8/4/1903

You really should post a picture, if you want accurate information. But, I will tell you what the 0757 model number means. The 0 means gold-filled (as opposed to solid gold), the 7 in the hundreds place means one gold band on the barrel (it would be gold-filled because of the previous 0), the 5 mean that it is a lever-filler, the last 7 is the nib size.

The 7 nib size is very confusing. Mainly because I really am not sure they exist. This would be a big nib. Waterman nibs are in sizes 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10 - small to large. The pens these nibs are installed in also vary in size according to the nib size. So a 0757 would be a very large pen. You hardly ever see nibs sized 1 and 3. Most nibs are 2's, a lot are 4's, some are 5's, and after that you don't see many of the larger pens (or nibs). You do find 6,8,and 10 nibs/pens occasionally, however. I have never seen a #7 nib or a pen with model number ending in 7. So I am not sure what to tell you. If you had asked me before today, I would have told you they were never made.

So if 0757 is really correct, it would be pretty rare. A lot would depend on whether it still has the original Waterman nib, and the overall condition of the pen. Does the lever filler system still work? Are there cracks anywhere? Is the lever box intact? Is the black hard rubber oxidized to brown?

You haven't told us the color of the pen. I am assuming it's black hard rubber, but it could be red or red&black mottled, which is rarer. You also haven't told us the size of the pen. The length with cap on would be good to know. Value depends a lot on condition. Also what is imprinted on the nib? It should probably say Waterman's Ideal - New York and then have the number 7 below that. Unfortunately the number is often hidden back inside the pen's section. A lot of the value in this pen would depend on the nib.

Anyway, these are the things you need to disclose in order for someone to tell you what the pen is worth. It does sound like you have a nice pen there, so it probably would be worth your while to take some photos and post them, along with the information I have mentioned above. You will need to do that anyway, if you are going to try and sell the pen online.

Pen PAT 884 5/23/1899

Penn USA 8/4/1903

You really should post a picture, if you want accurate information. But, I will tell you what the 0757 model number means. The 0 means gold-filled (as opposed to solid gold), the 7 in the hundreds place means one gold band on the barrel (it would be gold-filled because of the previous 0), the 5 mean that it is a lever-filler, the last 7 is the nib size.

The 7 nib size is very confusing. Mainly because I really am not sure they exist. This would be a big nib. Waterman nibs are in sizes 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10 - small to large. The pens these nibs are installed in also vary in size according to the nib size. So a 0757 would be a very large pen. You hardly ever see nibs sized 1 and 3. Most nibs are 2's, a lot are 4's, some are 5's, and after that you don't see many of the larger pens (or nibs). You do find 6,8,and 10 nibs/pens occasionally, however. I have never seen a #7 nib or a pen with model number ending in 7. So I am not sure what to tell you. If you had asked me before today, I would have told you they were never made.

So if 0757 is really correct, it would be pretty rare. A lot would depend on whether it still has the original Waterman nib, and the overall condition of the pen. Does the lever filler system still work? Are there cracks anywhere? Is the lever box intact? Is the black hard rubber oxidized to brown?

You haven't told us the color of the pen. I am assuming it's black hard rubber, but it could be red or red&black mottled, which is rarer. You also haven't told us the size of the pen. The length with cap on would be good to know. Value depends a lot on condition. Also what is imprinted on the nib? It should probably say Waterman's Ideal - New York and then have the number 7 below that. Unfortunately the number is often hidden back inside the pen's section. A lot of the value in this pen would depend on the nib.

Anyway, these are the things you need to disclose in order for someone to tell you what the pen is worth. It does sound like you have a nice pen there, so it probably would be worth your while to take some photos and post them, along with the information I have mentioned above. You will need to do that anyway, if you are going to try and sell the pen online.

the pen is is 5 1/4 inches, the number on the bottom is 0752 and black color and in excellent condition. I don't know how to post a picture of the pen on this site however. But I can email an attachment to you if you want to call me or send your email address to me at jono243@aol.com or call me at 917-710-6165. thanks

Model 0752 makes more sense. Unfortunately, this is the common #2 nib, and an average size pen. Note that large nib = large pen = much more valuable. If it's in good shape, you can probably get about $100 to $150 for it.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but I just found a waterman pen in my drawer, cleaned it out and am writing with it with Apache sunset.

The nib has FDW...for Frank D Waterman, Lewis Waterman's nephew that took over this business in 1901. The nib has "IDEAL" CANADA...14 KT, A LEVER FILLER ...BUT THE top OF THE BARREL, HAS WHAT LOOKS NOW LIKE PINK, BUT COULD HAVE BEEN RED...HIGH END RESIN/PLASTIC...WITH A 5 ENGRAVED IN THE MIDDLE.

Would anyone know what era this pen could be from? What is could be worth? It seems to have a gold nib, that is very fine, but flexes to BB. The lever filler is working just fine.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may know something.

Jan

I know this thread is old, but I just found a waterman pen in my drawer, cleaned it out and am writing with it with Apache sunset.

The nib has FDW...for Frank D Waterman, Lewis Waterman's nephew that took over this business in 1901. The nib has "IDEAL" CANADA...14 KT, A LEVER FILLER ...BUT THE top OF THE BARREL, HAS WHAT LOOKS NOW LIKE PINK, BUT COULD HAVE BEEN RED...HIGH END RESIN/PLASTIC...WITH A 5 ENGRAVED IN THE MIDDLE.

Would anyone know what era this pen could be from? What is could be worth? It seems to have a gold nib, that is very fine, but flexes to BB. The lever filler is working just fine.

Thanks in advance to anyone that may know something.

Jan

Scroll down to the No 5 Red Ripple.

http://www.penamie.co.uk/html/waterman/waterman.html