• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scrawler

• Black Rose

• spiv

• Gerry

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to a variety of legitimate reasons, we haven't had a meeting since November.

Turnout has dwindled significantly from when the meetings first started.

How do we want to move forward? Have a meeting every month? every other month?

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

I am comfortable with monthly meetings, but wouldn't object to bi-monthly. From my perspective, my attendance really didn't depend so much on the frequency, but on the notification. My presence on the FPN has deteriorated quite a lot from when I was an active Admin, and therefore I didn't visit this area frequently and therefore missed meetings that way.

I have signed up for notifications which has improved with the newer software, but I still would recommend a parallel notification scheme of an actual email to a distribution list of members to ensure people get the notices. Another advantage of this type of list is that members become aware of members email addresses, and we can communicate directly without posting on the FPN.

I suspect that we all have gleaned our email addresses already anyway, so I don't think that there's a privacy aspect anymore, but if there is, there should be a solution for it...

Regards,

Gerry

PS: There is another Ottawa based fountain pen club that meets on a regular basis. Anyone who wants details of that one, need only drop me a line. Personally, I like both because they are quite different with each offering a unique approach to exchanging FP info, and each have their advantages. I am certainly not recommending one over the other.

• 2 months later...

We've had a bit of a rough go of it lately, having recently lost both of our cats to illness, so we haven't been interested in pens or much of anything else really.

Anyone interested in keeping the pen posse going?

Perhaps continue the hiatus and start up again in the fall?

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

Perhaps continue the hiatus and start up again in the fall?

That sounds good to me. Mrs. Spiv and I are very sorry to hear of you loss. Please pass our condolences to C.

• 2 weeks later...

So far I have not seen Ottawa designated for a Pelikan Hub meting on June 13th. Have you in Ottawa signed up to signal interest at Pelikan.com? I think the rules are communities over 200,000 in size and someone willing to organize a supper or bistro meeting on June 13, at 7:30 pm to accept a little pelikan green notebook for coming out and of course they want to see people tweet and upload some nibs and create a worldwide event. Deadline is May 5th for sign up so please Ottawa sign up so its not just Toronto and Montreal on the pen map for Canada. Frankly, it would have been nice to see Saskatoon, Wpg, Edmonton, Halifax and Vancouver all hosting an event also.

Mags

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 7 months later...

I guess, perhaps maybe, this club is in hibernation mode??

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." -- Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I guess, perhaps maybe, this club is in hibernation mode??

I hope not...I just moved here and would love to meet some other pen nuts.

Plus, my Vacumatic needs repairs, I just found out. :(

I hope not...I just moved here and would love to meet some other pen nuts.

Plus, my Vacumatic needs repairs, I just found out. :(

There's another club as well, but I haven't checked that one out. My understanding is that there's some duplication of members. The cover page for it also looks like it hasn't been updated in a while, but I'll post the link here for you in case you were not aware....

http://ottawafountainpensociety.org/

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." -- Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I am a member of both the pen posse and the Ottawa Fountain Pen Society. I have not been participating much because of the distance I have to drive to get into town. The Pen Posse is very casual, no membership fee, and we have been meeting in the restaurant in the RA center on a Sunday afternoon. The Ottawa Fountain pen society is quite formal with minutes and a schedule for meetings with "show and tell", demonstrations, and lessons. The OFPS meets generally at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Vanier. I will be happy to put you in touch with others.

• 6 months later...

Are thee no more clubs in Ottawa!??

I'm just getting serious about FPs and would really like to meet up if anyone's interested.

Are thee no more clubs in Ottawa!??

I'm just getting serious about FPs and would really like to meet up if anyone's interested.

There is the Ottawa Fountain Pen Society. They are a bit more formal and regular than the Ottawa Pen Posse was. I have trouble getting into Ottawa regularly, these days, other wise I would be happy to meet up with you and encourage you. Maybe we can arrange a casual get together in Ottawa in the near future and see if it can be got going again.

Does the Ottawa Fountain Pen Society not have a website? Any links I find are dead.

They are very active, but are now a secret society. They have a Google Group and various other online presences, but you have to be a member to know about them. They meet on the third Tuesday of the month at Knights of Columbus Hall in Vanier. Contact George Cornwall gmcornwall@yahoo.com for information.

Email sent, thanks Scr

They are very active, but are now a secret society. They have a Google Group and various other online presences, but you have to be a member to know about them. They meet on the third Tuesday of the month at Knights of Columbus Hall in Vanier. Contact George Cornwall gmcornwall@yahoo.com for information.

Email sent to Mr. Cornwall, thanks for the info.

Email sent, thanks Scr

Email sent to Mr. Cornwall, thanks for the info.

I am in Ottawa as well and I am interested in attending a meeting. Did you receive an answer yet?

Well, it seems like we might be able to start the Ottawa Pen Posse back up. How about we arrange to get together in Ottawa one weekend in the near future.

I am definitely up for that, preferably after Bluesfest. Just out of curiosity why is there a need for two groups?