Montblanc Burgundy Red Review

genevatypewriters

Hello, everyone! There are already a couple of reviews of this ink, but I just bought a bottle yesterday and wanted to test it out by trying my hand at a review. I think I covered most of the basics, but I forgot the smear test! :headsmack: I would say this dried relatively fast on the paper I was using (Elco James Velin), although the feathering from this and other inks was not inconsiderable. Ok, here's the scan:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5012/5480105100_e8796efcb8_b.jpg

A few pictures:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5176/5480823239_1a8465f243_z.jpg

Ink comparison taken in natural light (early morning).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5020/5479442365_f0da381bec_z.jpg

I love the Mont Blanc bottle! Here's the Burgundy Red on the review page.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5479439701_2f3246e307_z.jpg

Mont Blanc Burgundy Red, Elco James Velin (not sure how I feel about this paper; the fake deckle edge is trying too hard), and Lamy Vista 1.1 nib.

Hope this has been helpful :blush:

My blog, Retro Tech Geneva: http://genevatypewriters.blogspot.com/

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genevatypewriters

• Thornton

• Easily Amused

• Blade Runner

Thanks for the wonderful review. Montblanc Bordeaux is one of my all time favorite inks. Very subtle, great shading, and quite well behaved.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Thank you very much for this excellent review.

I love the color Burgundy, and I wish I could find an ink with a real, rich, Burgundy color.

But neither the Mont Blanc Burgundy ink that you reviewed here, nor the other inks you showed are dark enough or deep enough to replicate the Burgundy color as I conceive it, like a deep Burgundy wine, or even the color on the Mont Blanc box.

I guess I'll just have to keep on looking. Like I do for a true baby blue ink!

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!

Thank you very much for this excellent review.

I love the color Burgundy, and I wish I could find an ink with a real, rich, Burgundy color.

But neither the Mont Blanc Burgundy ink that you reviewed here, nor the other inks you showed are dark enough or deep enough to replicate the Burgundy color as I conceive it, like a deep Burgundy wine, or even the color on the Mont Blanc box.

I guess I'll just have to keep on looking. Like I do for a true baby blue ink!

You may want to seriously consider Diamine Syrah. It is very dark and deep, precisely like the color on the Mont Blanc box. If my review failed to convey that, perhaps the other reviews on FPN show off the color better. Besides, it doesn't cost all that much to try - stylos.se offers the 30ml size for about $3, shipped free anywhere in the world (no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer!). It would be a pity to buy the much more pricey Mont Blanc Burgundy Red or Caran d'Ache Sunset to find that the color does not suit your needs, so I'm very glad to have helped in that respect :)

Hi,

Many thanks for the Review! :thumbup:

It reminded me to use the bottle I have more often.

I do like the unsaturated appearance that you have shown. I think that sample fits my comfort zone for an A4 of a Red-centric ink.

I must ask about the paper. I'd used ELCO extensively for years, especially the Atlantic Clipper and Opaline, but had not seen the James Velin. Is that paper hard surfaced, like the Clairefontaine Triomphe or Rhodia?

Cheers!

Sandy1

(aka Ms Blue-Black)

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

I do like the unsaturated appearance that you have shown. I think that sample fits my comfort zone for an A4 of a Red-centric ink.

I must ask about the paper. I'd used ELCO extensively for years, especially the Atlantic Clipper and Opaline, but had not seen the James Velin. Is that paper hard surfaced, like the Clairefontaine Triomphe or Rhodia?

Cheers!

Sandy1

(aka Ms Blue-Black)

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your comment. I also have to thank you for alerting me to the existence of Clairefontaine Triomphe! It seems to have many fans among fountain pen users. It is not sold here in Switzerland, where Elco has cornered the writing tablet market, so I shall look for it the next time I'm in France.

Also - the Elco names you mention are not familiar to me; perhaps these are marketed for international customers? The Elco I have seen in shops here has three main lines: Elco Office, Elco Prestige, and James. James comes in two varieties: Velin (which is more porous) and Satine (almost glossy finish, perhaps the hard surface you speak of). I chose Velin because I thought the deckle edge finish might be more suited to letters, but it really has just been cut with a serrated blade; it's not really deckle edge.

In retrospect, I shall try Satine next time because Velin is not working nice with my fountain pens! There is too much feathering, even in pens that have only a medium line. See for example the large dot on the bottom of the 7 in 1670 at the end of my review - that was a rather egregious example, admittedly caused when I hesitated before lifting the pen off the page, but still.

You should try Private Reserve Burgundy Mist, :thumbup:

Great color.

Also, is the 1.1 the nib you used in your review?

To hold a pen is to be at war

-Voltaire

Hi,

Cheers!

Sandy1

(aka Ms Blue-Black)

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your comment. I also have to thank you for alerting me to the existence of Clairefontaine Triomphe! It seems to have many fans among fountain pen users. It is not sold here in Switzerland, where Elco has cornered the writing tablet market, so I shall look for it the next time I'm in France.

Also - the Elco names you mention are not familiar to me; perhaps these are marketed for international customers? The Elco I have seen in shops here has three main lines: Elco Office, Elco Prestige, and James. James comes in two varieties: Velin (which is more porous) and Satine (almost glossy finish, perhaps the hard surface you speak of). I chose Velin because I thought the deckle edge finish might be more suited to letters, but it really has just been cut with a serrated blade; it's not really deckle edge.

In retrospect, I shall try Satine next time because Velin is not working nice with my fountain pens! There is too much feathering, even in pens that have only a medium line. See for example the large dot on the bottom of the 7 in 1670 at the end of my review - that was a rather egregious example, admittedly caused when I hesitated before lifting the pen off the page, but still.

Hello genevatypewritter,

You can find Clairefontaine papers in Geneva at:

- Librairie Pacific (books + stationery for students, big choice in clairefontaine papers, seyes, lined, squared, pad). Boulevard Carl-Vogt 104 (unimail).

- Papeterie Brachard. Rue de la Corraterie 10.

- Big stores like Manor (placette), globus.

Have a nice day.

I've loved this ink since the dreary days of the 1970s, when ink manufacturers usually stuck to four colours. In this climate, MB Bordeaux was a sensation, and it became my only ink for years. Now thinks have picked up on the colour front, I think it still holds its own, and is remarkably similar (in colour at least) to Penman Ruby, if anyone is looking for a substitute. I don't use it as much as I used to, but in a juicy medium to broad nib it has real charm and I would never be without a bottle.

John

You should try Private Reserve Burgundy Mist, :thumbup:

Great color.

Also, is the 1.1 the nib you used in your review?

I shall put it on my wishlist of Private Reserve colors to try! Right next to Plum and American Blue. No bargains in Europe for PR inks, so I shall wait till someone gets me a Writing Desk gift card :-) Yes, I used the 1.1 nib in the review.

Hello genevatypewritter,

You can find Clairefontaine papers in Geneva at:

- Librairie Pacific (books + stationery for students, big choice in clairefontaine papers, seyes, lined, squared, pad). Boulevard Carl-Vogt 104 (unimail).

- Papeterie Brachard. Rue de la Corraterie 10.

- Big stores like Manor (placette), globus.

Have a nice day.

Thank you so much Jean! I was in Manor on Saturday and I only saw Clairefontaine notebooks (ligné or quadrillé, for schoolchildren). I got a beautiful block of Clairefontaine Pupitre from Migros, but I have not yet seen the Triomphe writing paper. I didn't know Globus had a papeterie! It should be a really nice one; I'll take a look over the weekend. I will also look in Brachard and Pacific, thanks!

I've loved this ink since the dreary days of the 1970s, when ink manufacturers usually stuck to four colours. In this climate, MB Bordeaux was a sensation, and it became my only ink for years. Now thinks have picked up on the colour front, I think it still holds its own, and is remarkably similar (in colour at least) to Penman Ruby, if anyone is looking for a substitute. I don't use it as much as I used to, but in a juicy medium to broad nib it has real charm and I would never be without a bottle.

John

I know, we are so spoiled for choice these days! As I am particularly keen on burgundy colors, I think Mont Blanc Bordeaux is a good addition to the stable. Thanks for the tip about Penman Ruby, I shall keep an eye out for it.

Thank you for this review of the 'newer' Montblanc dark red colour. I have a bottle of the previous incarnation, MB Bordeaux, and I have to say, it's the least reliable ink in my stable. I've used it in several pens, including my more reliable writers, and I've used it on Staples bagasse paper and Rhodia pads, and I usually get skipping/stalling. But I'm not ready to give up just yet, I want to try it on a few more pens before I throw in the towel. But if it still doesn't work, I may try the new version. Hope the Burgundy works well for you, and if you get the chance, let us know how it performs in other pens. Thanks again!

Edited by Easily Amused

Hello, everyone! There are already a couple of reviews of this ink, but I just bought a bottle yesterday and wanted to test it out by trying my hand at a review. I think I covered most of the basics, but I forgot the smear test! :headsmack: I would say this dried relatively fast on the paper I was using (Elco James Velin), although the feathering from this and other inks was not inconsiderable. Ok, here's the scan:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5012/5480105100_e8796efcb8_b.jpg

A few pictures:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5176/5480823239_1a8465f243_z.jpg

Ink comparison taken in natural light (early morning).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5020/5479442365_f0da381bec_z.jpg

I love the Mont Blanc bottle! Here's the Burgundy Red on the review page.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5097/5479439701_2f3246e307_z.jpg

Mont Blanc Burgundy Red, Elco James Velin (not sure how I feel about this paper; the fake deckle edge is trying too hard), and Lamy Vista 1.1 nib.

Hope this has been helpful :blush:

Gorgeous,mate!

Thank you for this review of the 'newer' Montblanc dark red colour. I have a bottle of the previous incarnation, MB Bordeaux, and I have to say, it's the least reliable ink in my stable. I've used it in several pens, including my more reliable writers, and I've used it on Staples bagasse paper and Rhodia pads, and I usually get skipping/stalling. But I'm not ready to give up just yet, I want to try it on a few more pens before I throw in the towel. But if it still doesn't work, I may try the new version. Hope the Burgundy works well for you, and if you get the chance, let us know how it performs in other pens. Thanks again!

I've had the same problem with MB Bordeaux when writing on Rhodia paper. I think the combination of the dry ink and slick paper creates skipping and stalling. I've been using the new Burgundy Red in my 149 with a wet fine nib. So far no issues even on Rhodia paper including the Webbies.

I've had the same problem with MB Bordeaux when writing on Rhodia paper. I think the combination of the dry ink and slick paper creates skipping and stalling. I've been using the new Burgundy Red in my 149 with a wet fine nib. So far no issues even on Rhodia paper including the Webbies.

Thanks for the input, Thornton, that is encouraging. Perhaps I will pick up the new Burgundy next time I'm in a pen store... ;)

Hmmm, than what to do about the old Bordeaux?

Thanks for the input, Thornton, that is encouraging. Perhaps I will pick up the new Burgundy next time I'm in a pen store... ;)

Hmmm, than what to do about the old Bordeaux?

You're very welcome. I managed to salvage my old bottle of Bordeaux by mixing it with some MB Lavender Purple which made a nice dark wine color. Also improved flow significantly. You could also put it up in the marketplace. Some people might buy it for the bottle alone.

• 11 months later...

I just bought this red. The shade is wonderful! I usually don't like red because it tends to be loud but this one is understated. Very elegant.

Thank you for the review. Burgundy is my favourite colour and this ink of Montblanc is the one I use most of the time.

It's weird, though, that in your review Caran d'Ache Sunset seems more saturated and shaded than the MB Burgundy Red which is quite the opposite of what I see on my papers.

Regards,

Halid