Platinum 3776 Ribbed

French

First Impressions (3.5/5)

I purchased this pen used from an eBay seller in Japan. The pen came securely packed. I knew from the seller's description there was some brassing to the barrel trim ring. The pen has definitely been in heavy use. While it isn't mint, I'm sure it has many stories to tell. I gave it a 3.5/5 because its condition was worse than other pens of similar age.

All of that being said, the description was accurate, I wasn't surprised, the pen just didn't have 'pop' when I opened the package.

Appearance (4/5)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMGP2033.jpg

This is a big black pen with matching cap and barrel rings. When capped, there are 3 ridges on the cap, 14 ridges between the cap and barrel ring and 6 ridges between the barrel ring and the end of the pen (3,7+7,6 -- which I think is pretty cool- the name of the pen model). My pen has some brassing on both the cap and barrel trim rings, but it is a used pen. As mentioned above, I'm sure this pen has some stories to tell, I can only imagine its previous owner in Japan and his or her daily use of the pen.

I like the design, it is pleasing to my eye. Simple black plastic jewel on the cap, rounded tail end of the pen. I would have given this 5/5 if not for the brassing.

Design/Size/Weight (5/5)

An interesting take on the simple design of a black pen with gold trim. Using my kitchen scale the pen weighs 26g (with a little ink in the converter). In my hand it is well balanced unposted. I don't normally post my pens, but it is comfortable to use posted, just a little top heavy. The posted length is 6.4375". Capped the pen is 5.6875" and uncapped the pen is 5.0625".

This pen is comfortable for extended writing sessions and the snap cap allows for quick notes. Typically I prefer a screw on cap, but the snap cap functions well, and allows for quick notes.

Nib (5/5)

Apologies for the Legal Lapis creep on this nib...

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMGP2034.jpg

14k gold, Japanese fine, although I'm not 100% sure, as the nib grade is in kanji. Originally 2/5 for dry flow and skipping, after a good flush and some ham fisted, yet conservative adjustment for tine alignment and flow, a fantastic writer. This is the first time I decided that I would either make the nib perform the way I wanted or break it trying, and I couldn't be happier with the results. I'm far from being confident in "frenchizing" nibs (my apologies to Mr. Binder for corrupting his adjustment term "Binderizing"), but I am also very proud that I was able to use what I've learned on FPN and turn something that was worthless to me as a pen into a pen that I enjoy using.

An interesting feature on this pen is the feed is smooth (no ridges). In my collection, the smooth feed is the exception, and I enjoy the clean lines it gives the nib & feed. I believe the feed is ebonite.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMGP2037.jpg

The added bonus is this 14k nib has some flex to it. Perhaps soft is a better description, but, I can go from its Japanese fine line to a definite western medium line with very little effort. Since I'm no expert in Spencerian calligraphy, and I know I can't fix a sprung nib, I"m very conservative with putting any pressure on the nib.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMGP2035.jpg

Filling System (3/5)

Cartridge/converter. Platinum cartridges are pretty cool with the steel ball bearing inside to break ink surface tension. However, I am using the proprietary Platinum converter. It works as it should.

Cost and Value (4.5/5)

Overall, I'm happy with the value of this pen. I didn't pay anywhere near what these pens are going for new, but I did get a pen with some cosmetic blemishes. The added value was the experience and pride I got from tweaking the nib myself and turning it into a good writer. I've mentioned the brassing on the trim rings, these led to the discounted price, and I'm comfortable with a vintage pen that shows it has been used (especially if the price reflects this).

Conclusion (25/30)

A score of 83%, a solid "B", at least at my college. The pen isn' t cosmetically perfect, but it delivers where it counts -- the writing experience. I have not yet been disappointed with any Platinum pen, or any Japanese pen for that matter. Some I haven't 'bonded' with, but they have all written well, which is why my collection is mainly Japanese pens. If you like the appearance of the ribbed pen I recommend getting one.

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• French

• goodguy

• nvbrennan

• geoduc

Nice review, thanks. I'm ambivalent about the shape of this particular model, but I sure like the way Platinum pens write.

Here's a link to an old post with the kanji characters for Japanese nib sizes. The characters are hard to make out from your photo, but looks like it is some variation of a medium.

http://www.fountainp...es-in-japanese/

Edited to add another link.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page: http://www.nibs.com/NakayaNibsPage.htm and it looks like the characters on your nib are a combination of medium and fine. So medium-fine?

Edited by geoduc

Love the design of this pen which was inspired by the imortal Waterman 100 years pen.

Nib is great too and I would have own this pen a long time ago if not for this boring CC filler.

Enjoy your pen and thanks for the review.

Respect to all

Are there any internal metal parts? Maybe you could make it an eyedropper? I know you didn't say you wanted to, but it's always something I consider when getting a pen that is a C/C filler. Also, does the pen come apart at the metal ring at the middle of the barrel? Seems odd if it would, but seems an odd place for a ring.

I also quite like the look of that feed.

Thanks!

Are there any internal metal parts? Maybe you could make it an eyedropper? I know you didn't say you wanted to, but it's always something I consider when getting a pen that is a C/C filler. Also, does the pen come apart at the metal ring at the middle of the barrel? Seems odd if it would, but seems an odd place for a ring.

I also quite like the look of that feed.

Thanks!

the threads where the section attaches to the barrel are metal (brass?) The pen comes apart at the back of the section...I will try to post a picture later.

While cartridge/converter pens have an unimaginaive filling system, I actually like them if for no other reason than I ink 2 pens at a time and write them dry before filling something else. While I love my Pilot 823 and my TWSBI, it seems that when they are inked, they write forever...

Based on Watch Art's question, here are a couple more pictures of the 3776 ribbed, showing it with the section removed and again, with the section loosened a bit from the barrel. I agree the barrel trim ring is in a bit of a strange spot.

section removed from barrel

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMGP2068.jpg

section loosened

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/IMGP2071.jpg

Love the design of this pen which was inspired by the imortal Waterman 100 years pen.

Nib is great too and I would have own this pen a long time ago if not for this boring CC filler.

Enjoy your pen and thanks for the review.

Thank you, Goodguy. I completely neglected to mention the inspiration from the Wateman 100 years pen. When I purchased this pen, it was because I had become smitten with the 100 years pen, and I thought this pen was a very good homage to that classic. That being said, the c/c filler does its job very well.

French

That being said, the c/c filler does its job very well.

French

I hope one day I will own the Waterman 100 years OS.

Yes all CC fillers do their job well and without any soul.

So for me I need a self filling pen, I am a hoplesly romantic guy :cloud9: and CC fillers are too cold for me :bonk:

Respect to all

Nice pen, I plan to buy a similar pen. I am curious about the HR feeder, the current Platinum/Nakaya feeders are finned plastic. Has anyone observed this type of feeder in a Platinum or is this feeder aftermarket?

Thanks!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I've always admired this model and hope to add one to my collection one day soon! Thanks for all the good information.

• 7 years later...

Hello, I am reviving this thread because, while clearing out an old file drawer at home, I found one of these that I used to use at work, and had forgotten about completely. I am still in the process of cleaning it out, so I don't yet know how it writes. It is the same as French's except for the kanji on the nib, which is very difficult to see even at 60x, but I have made a stab at copying it out and I will research it. I suspect it's a Fine. Maybe I can take a picture of the kanji and post it for the experts (those links above don't seem to work any more). Otherwise it's in excellent shape, and if I can get it to write it will probably end up in my regular rotation.

Confirmed from my sources that it's "hosoi" or "fine".

Edited by Paul-in-SF

The nib and feed are of the first 3776 "issue" ever produced - but the barrel with less than 9 ripples at the top part is not. Either this is a later combination or pens with new barrel and the oldest nib+feed were originally produced. Unexpected, perhaps, as the first red one had a new barrel already. Interesting pen indeed! The feed is made of ebonite.