Two New Pilot Capless Models Compared

Dan Carmell

Thanks for this great review. As I now own the Decimo, Fermo, and the VP, I love them all. That said, I like the Fermo the most - very substancial. The VP (mine is Blue with Gold) is a looker. The Decimo is the least attractive. And, it feels like a less expensive or even cheap pen. I got mine for $100 on special at Fahrneys today, in Red. While I like it for its weight and the white gold nib is a delight, it seems cheap. That said, I would buy it again in a minute. Love Pilot Pens. Off to buy a Namiki Falcon at Flax tomorrow.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dan Carmell

• thewolfgang

• MYU

• HDoug

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

please tell, how ink is filled in fermo. do we have to take it apart?

thanks

It fills just like the regular VP/capless. You unscrew the pen, remove the nib unit and fill the pen with the cart or the converter, wipe the nib unit and place it back into the pen.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• 10 months later...

Really nice review..

I would like only to add this pics of the newest, called Pilot Capless Matte Grey

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uwXiWnW_55c/UKEJ8zKUSPI/AAAAAAAAAmA/plBRq75-LKo/s1600/Pilot+Capless+Matte+Grey.jpg

• 2 months later...

To those who have been using the Fermo for some years, how does it age ? I read the VP was were sturdy...

Pilot Capless/VP Fermo F ; Aurora 88 F ; Mont Blanc Noblesse slim F ; Lamy Vista clear EF // Waiting for : TWSBI 580 EF

• 2 years later...

To revive an old thread, I just purchased a Decimo from Jetpens as the price recently dropped to $133.

Been using the Vanishing Point for over a year as a daily carry pen. Love it for its ease of use and wonderful nib. Never loved its' weight (32 grams) and diameter (13mm). Great for a quick note, but clunky and tiring for longer periods of writing. The weight would also cause it to feel heavy in my shirt pocket and pull the pocket away from my body.

The Decimo on the other hand is just wonderful. Being only 22 grams and 11mm in diameter, I can use it for long writing sessions. The different clip design is more comfortable to write with. Lighter weight makes it much less bulky and heavy to carry in my shirt pocket.

Another difference is the colors. Both are red, but the Vanishing Point's red is rather dull looking while the Decimo is a deeper metalic red with a clear finish that just looks better in my view.

The Decimo has replaced the Vanishing Point as my daily carry.

Edited by Tasmith

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about acquiring one of the Capless models for quite a while, but had some concerns about the design and how it would feel in my hand. I finally managed to get to a pen store and try a Vanishing Point. I picked it up that day and it became part of my every day load-out. A week ago, I was ordering something else from Amazon and saw a Decimo for under $120 with two day shipping. I'm very impressed with the feeling of the pen - the lighter weight makes the Decimo a joy to use. Right now it is riding in my pocket alongside my Vanishing Point, but it may push its heavier brother out of daily carry.

I'm considering a Fermo (especially since the Dark Green color is - to me - beautiful), but the added weight gives me pause. I'm now thinking that I may just go for a custom ground nib for the Decimo.

The initial post was very useful in figuring out the differences between the current Capless offerings. It is rather sad that, eight years after Pilot said that they couldn't see any way to arrange for them to have the Decimo or the Fermo available in the US that things remain the same. But we can have garish metallic colors and a stub nib. Actually, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the stub, so I shouldn't complain about that!

Edited by deacondavid

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.