The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Jinhao G29

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FLJeepGuy

FLJeepGuy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:12

I recently purchased a set of three Jinhao G29 pens off the 'bay. Here's a link to the same pens for pictures, etc.: Jinhao G29 pens These are the first Chinese pens in my collection, and I have to admit a bit of trepidation when I first ordered them. I mean, 3 pens for $9.99 plus $10 shipping? Less than $7 a pen delivered? My expectations were low, but I was intrigued by the number of posts on here extolling the virtues of Jinhao's products. So, as I'm a sucker for hooded nib pens, I took the plunge and ordered these at the end of January. They took a month to get here, mostly due to a two week delay in shipping due to a Chinese holiday that the seller's business was closed for. However, the seller did notify me immediately after purchase about the delay, so no complaints there.

Saying that these pens were a pleasant surprise is an understatement. The fit and finish is excellent on all three. The caps snap on securly, and the barrel screws nicely onto the section. The basic clear Chinese converters work fine with no leaks. There are no weird paint problems, the plating of the clip, cap bands, and end cap is decent, and the cap jewels are prettier in person. To top it all off, the XF nibs on all three are smooth as buttah! I've got pens costing three digits that came from the factory with worse nib alignment. So far my only complaint is that I didn't end up with a blue cap jewel on one of the pens. The seller stated that the cap jewel color was random, and I ended up with a white/clear jewel on the black pen, and red jewels on the silver and gold pens.

All in all, I'm thrilled with these guys, especially considering the price!

Edited by FLJeepGuy, 23 February 2011 - 03:15.

Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7
Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:58

wow! actually, a pretty good looking pen. how heavy is it?
how long can you use it before it gets heavy? slippery?

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 FLJeepGuy

FLJeepGuy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:07

It's not terribly heavy as far as metal pens go, I'd call it solid rather than heavy. I don't usually post the caps on my pens when writing, and in this pen's case, the cap is definitely where the weight is. The tapered barrel is metal, probably brass, but the taper really makes it balance nicely with the weight more to the section end. The section has a slight matte finish to the plastic, so it didn't seem slippery at all to me. There is a rather pronounced step down from the barrel to the section, so depending on how you grip it, it might be annoying, but for me, this isn't a problem.
Collection Counts: Cross-4, Esterbrook-15, Eversharp-1, Graf von Faber-Castell-1, Jinhao-2, Kaweco-1, Lamy-6, Levenger-2, Monteverde-1, Pilot/Namiki-3, Noodler's-1, Parker-18, Rotring-10, Sailor-1, Sheaffer-19, TWSBI-1, Visconti-4, Waterford-1, Waterman-7
Favorite Inks: Diamine, Levenger, Private Reserve, Noodler's Lexington Gray

#4 Skeet

Skeet

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:39

Lucky you!
IF YOU FREE YOUR MIND...YOUR PEN WILL FOLLOW
PhotobucketPhotobucket

#5 Joly

Joly

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 June 2011 - 16:11

I have this set too, only on the band it saids"Jinhao 30#" got it is the same set.
The black one has a blue jewel, the gold and silver have a clear one but i didn't mind.
These pens are lovely :thumbup: .....i am using one now (see my signature) and the Jinhao black cartridges i recieved with them are a wonderful dark black.

These where my first hooded nibs and i am so glad i bought these.
They are worth every cent! :clap1:

Edited by Joly, 04 June 2011 - 17:00.

Please visit my blog to read my ink and pen reviews (and more) http://ladyfangtasia.wordpress.com/

Sponsored Content

|