The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ohto F-Lapa

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jnf209

jnf209

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:58

This is my first review, so dont expect much, please comment on your opinions, I'll try to get some images soon.

Appearance, packaging and and first impressons: (9/10)
The ohto F-lapa has been my third fountain pen, the first being a pelikan P58, and a Platinum Preppy. I ordered it from jetpens along with 3 converters and a bottle of ink. The pen came packaged in a cheap-looking clear plastic sleeve, a bit disappointed at ohto for not packaging the product with a proper box. The pen itself was very light, and could be what would be referenced as a "slim" style. (im not exactly sure) I like small pens, since im a student, and have to take constant notes. The barrel of the pen was surprisingly made out of metal, seems pretty sturdy, and overall, satisfied. However, im not sure whether the cap is metal or plastic. The cap could be feel a bit loose, but thats because of the mechanism thats inside it. But i have never seen the cap fall, so overall satisfied with the cap. The Ohto F-lapa looks very professional, with a very simple, yet elegant gold trim and a sturdy gold clip, which it complemented by the glossy black finish. Comes with two standard ink cartridges.

Nib and performance: (10/10) (for the price)
The ohto F-lapa comes with a beautiful gold italic nib, which both the description and the nib itself claims to be german iridium, but i have heard people disagree. That doesnt matter to me, because in my opinion it writes beautifully for the price, it probably cant be compared to the high class of pens, but i think it writes better than my preppy, definitely less scratchy, and i think it has a bolder and inkier line. I also think that the ohto writes smoother. The nib size is slightly bigger that the preppy's Japanese Fine nib (European Extra Fine), but not as big as the japanese medium nib (european fine nib), overall i am extremely satisfied that this nib writes so well at such a amazing price and i also love how it looks.

Price: (10/10)
The Ohto F-lapa sales for $15 on jetpens.com and comes in two colors. It excepts standard ink cartridges and the very cheap Ohto converter for $1.50 as well as the more expensive but reliable Pelikan converter. the shipping for jetpens is $5 so the pen only would cost 20$, and the pen plus the converter would be $21, however because jetpens gives free shipping to the US for orders over $25, i recommend u also buy a cheap bottle of ink, or a cheap pen like the preppy or the petit1. My order consisted of the F-lapa, 30cc of platinum black ink for $6, 3 ohto converters for 1.50 each, and a platinum standard ink cartridge converter for my preppy. it totaled to $27.

Overall: (9.5/10)
This is a great fountain pen, not only is it cheap and affordable, but its also a quality product, my one problem was that i noticed it got sticky if your hands were sweaty, but maybe thats just because of me.

Sponsored Content

#2 Opel

Opel

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 June 2011 - 20:41

Although I am a mere novice at writing reviews, I can recognise a good one when I see it! This is a great review and very informative. Thanks for sharing…

:clap1:

Sponsored Content

|