The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Edison Herald In Light Tortoise Celluloid

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ncdobson

ncdobson

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:03

I'm foolishly enamored of modern celluloid pens, so I was very happy to discover Brian Gray's Edison Pen Co. late last year. I put in an order for a Herald in light tortoise celluloid in early Jan., and Brian made it in early Feb. It arrived a week ago Friday.

It's a beautiful pen & smells wonderfully of celluloid. After reading Brian's nib article, I had chosen a medium steel that I'll probably get custom ground to a cursive italic. It wrote nicely immediately, and continues to start without much hesitation. My 1 quibble is purely aesthetic: the celluloid is completely translucent at the top of the cap above the clip & at the tiny nub at the bottom of the barrel, but subtly "cloudy" in between. This must be the result of turning those parts on the lathe. The "cloudy" effect is not bad, but the subtle difference is slightly distracting. If it were possible to buff the interior of the cap & barrel, so that the whole pen would be uniformly translucent and polished, it would be truly stunning.

Here's a pic:

Herald in light tortoise

The ordering process was very easy, & Brian gave me regular updates. The cost of the pen was slightly higher than I had anticipated due to the price of the celluloid, but it's still a good value to me.

I already have it in mind to order other pens, maybe for my birthday in May.

Sponsored Content

#2 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:58

:thumbup: and :W2FPN:

Posted Image

Posted Image

fpn_1432247667__cropped-20150427_0641231 sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#3 Aslan

Aslan

"We're all mad here."

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • Location:southeast of Rome, southwest of Athens, north of Cairo, and "ITP"

Posted 21 February 2011 - 17:10

A beautiful pen!
John

Sponsored Content

|