Black rubberized $33 pen... Get one!

brh

I should preface this by saying that the $33 pen should be the epitome of all that I don't like in a pen. I generally prefer flighters, I always prefer small nibs (physical size - not F,M,B,etc..), I prefer a section that is either straight or simply sloped/slanted down toward the nib (as opposed to dipping in and then becoming wider again toward the nib, as the $33 pen is). I also haven't owned anything broader than an F since who knows when... and the $33 is only available as an M.

So, with all that said, I bought the pen fully aware of all that, with this feeling inside me that regardless, it would be an awesome pen. I was right.

I was almost taken by the champagne colored pen, but this black rubberized finish was too tempting. When I said that I generally like flighters, that's excepting materials that are just too cool to pass up, and since my sense of style is very modern/industrial/utilitarian, things like Makrolon and... well... rubbery stuff appeal to me greatly. The rubber provides a very nice matte finish, much nicer looking IMO than the high gloss of black lacquer. It is also very pleasant to the touch, which is doubly nice as the sections of these pens match the barrel material. The polished white metal trim provides a nice touch of contrast with the matte black. The (Iridium Point Germany) nib, although large by my standards, matches the trim well and doesn't stand out much. Nib looks much nicer with the pen than I imagined.

It's big and heavy. I have terribly small hands and the pen is just about at my size limit. I kind of gasped when I opened the box, the pen was a bit thicker than I had imagined. I feel like a VP is on the fat side, and this is a bit fatter than that. Yet it's still comfortable to use. It is heavy, which some people don't like, but I do. I like to let the pen get momentum and finish my strokes for me. It also feels solid, which is good. I like knowing that I can throw it at one of my friends and cause them more harm than the pen.

I filled it up with Slovenian Skrip Brown, and it writes a bit on the dry side... or something... It lays down a good amount of ink, but it has kind of a drag to it, different from toothiness... Feels like I'm writing without any ink to lubricate it, if that makes sense. But it still puts down the ink like nobody's business. Gave a bit of shading with the brown Skrip, which isn't really my thing, but I know I'm not in the majority there. Attached is a writing sample in an attempt to show the shading... didn't turn out the best, however, because my scanner doesn't seem to like these things as much as it does photos.

Also, there are size comparisons to the right with the broadest thing I had available, an F VP w/ Slovenian Skrip Black.

So would I recommend the pen? Yes! It really can't be beat for the price... Build quality, aesthetics, nib... all I would rate higher than I would expect at the price point. Got me through a midterm today too, brown ink and all! Thanks Kevin! (Here is where I clarify that I have no ties aside from being the satisfied customer...)

-brian

(edited 'cause I attached the wrong file..)

post-34-1162102973_thumb.jpg

Edited by brh

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• brh

• Maja

• winedoc

• Bradley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like knowing that I can throw it at one of my friends and cause them more harm than the pen.

LOL. That's what Tac Carry II is all about :lol:

Glad you like the pen and helped you finished the midterm without a hitch.

Best,

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Follow-up time!

I already pointed out that this pen is an M, and I don't really write with anything broader than an F. Well this is especially true for my school notes, where I need to lay a lot of information out in as little space as possible. Also, since I'm used to writing smaller, it simply takes me more time to write with a broader nib. I decided to play the masochist today, however, and use my new $33 pen to take notes in class, M nib and all. Overall it was a wonderful experience, and I would say that anyone who is used to writing with an M nib would have no problem using it for fast-paced note-taking.

One thing I have noticed, however, is that the clip is really strong! I can't get it into most of my shirt pockets without using my nail to kind of pry it open first! Granted most of my shirts are made of viscose or modal or cotton-spandex blends, and are therefore rather thin and flimsy. But it's still a heck of a lot tougher than my VP, which is my regular note-taking pen. So depending on how you're carrying it, that could be good or bad. Doesn't particularly bother me, but it does make me chuckle that I have to work to get my pen clipped in! :)

-brian

• 2 weeks later...

I liked your review Brian. I just ordered my a black rubberized... can't wait :-)

Blessings,

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

Did I miss something? What is the make and manufacturer of the pen?

--Bradley

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/Bradley_064/th_Bradleyssignature.jpg

Ahhh, I made an impact. :) Seriously, I'm sure you'll both like the pen... The finish is so cool, comfortable, and elegant, I still think it's great. Although it can never be a primary note-taking pen for me (b/c of the M nib) it has become my go-to sitting-in-the-coffee-shop-writing-poetry-not-wanting-to-go-to-class pen. It serves that purpose wonderfully. I've been itching to fill it with NOS Skrip Burgundy, and I drained the convertor of all the Skrip Brown, but the feed holds much more ink than I'm used to and so we're still working with brown right now. Okay, now I'm rambling, and it's 2.30 and I need to catch the shuttle to class at 8.30 tomorrow morning.... Shoot.

P.S. Speaking of rubber finishes.. I've got a craving for that Omas Emotica... aka the $395 pen.. :doh:

Thank you for the review, brh...and the follow-up, too. I noticed with myself that my opinion about a new pen can change slightly after using it for a few days, so I appreciate the 2nd part of your review :)

Oh, and thanks for the writing sample (very nice poetry, if I might add ;) )

Thanks for the kind words, Maja. I'm glad the review was useful to people. I think today I finally wrote out nearly all the brown ink... So burgundy... here we come!

To go on a bit of a tangent, because the M nib puts out more ink than I'm used to, I saw some weird behavior with that brown Skrip. It seems that sometimes when I start with it, the brown comes out a really sickly looking green instead... only for the first letter or two. If I can get a good scan of it in the near future, I'll post in Inky Thoughts.

-brian

• 5 months later...

I am relatively new to the board, and I have read bits about Tac Carry and Tac Carry II. My question is whether or not the Tac Carry II is still available, or if not from the original source, is there someone out there who would consider parting with one they purchased? Thank you.

Donnie in Little Elm TX

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I am relatively new to the board, and I have read bits about Tac Carry and Tac Carry II. My question is whether or not the Tac Carry II is still available, or if not from the original source, is there someone out there who would consider parting with one they purchased? Thank you.

Donnie in Little Elm TX

Hi Donnie,

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question...but if you posted it in the "Marketplace" forum, with a title like "Wanted to Buy: Tac Carry/Tac Carry II", then I am sure more eyes would see it :)

Good luck!

congrats on the pen ;)

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Donnie in Little Elm TX

Hi Donnie,

I don't have any ruberized TC II in stock, but do have other finishes. If interested, please contact me back channel. Thanks.

Best,

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens