The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Fake Sonnets Take III: Boxes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 19:22

I posted something analogous on PT two weeks ago. For the record and to help those of you who are interested in buying Sonnets, here are some boxes that are clearly associated with fake pens Sonnets. If you open the photos in a separate window you will get them full size.

Here are two common fake Parker boxes You see them all the time on ebay.
The photo are directly from e-bay auctions. You can easily find it there (sad)
If you see it, run away ...

FAKE

FAKE

Below is a comparison of a similar genuine and a fake Sonnet pen box.
I am not sure if my photos show the whole story.
The genuine is on the top and the fake is at the bottom. The texture of the genuine is uniform and dotty.
The fake has air bubbles under the paper, and a woody surface.
My description is weak but if you have a modern Waterman box (for which I have not seen fakes yet)
compare it with your Parker if the texture is the same the Pare.

GENUINE (top) versus FAKE (bottom

The following two photos are genuine Parker boxes (courtesy of Jean-Michel Lewertowski). Note the ® mark next to Parker.

GENUINE

GENUINE

The following two photos are fake Parker boxes:

FAKE

FAKE

Other reference articles and discussions on Fake Sonnets:

* An early article of mine at Penhero.com
* Bill Riepl's article on Stylophiles online
* This thread on FPN

Edited by antoniosz, 26 April 2007 - 02:10.

Sponsored Content

#2 Scribbles

Scribbles

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 15:02

Are the square boxes the only type of box Sonnets come in? I recently purchased one that came in a flip top box that is something like an eyeglass case. The case is rounded on one side and flat on the other and it is grey. Its solidly constructed and came with manual that looks legitimate.

#3 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,031 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 15:51

The following are examples of genuine Sonnet boxes:

Genuine Cisele 1994. Box marked made in Holland.

Genuine Sonnet mid 90s.

Genuine Sonnet 2004-05

Edited by antoniosz, 26 April 2007 - 02:10.

#4 Scribbles

Scribbles

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 16:17

QUOTE(antoniosz @ Nov 3 2006, 03:51 PM)

Thanks. In my situation it looks like the box I have is the 6th and 7th photo (one up from the bottom).

I was concerned because the Parker name inside and out does not have the "registered" mark. Looking at the pictures above though it looks like a match. That version does not have a mark near the Parker logo.

#5 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,031 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 16:28

QUOTE(Scribbles @ Nov 3 2006, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE(antoniosz @ Nov 3 2006, 03:51 PM)

Thanks. In my situation it looks like the box I have is the 6th and 7th photo (one up from the bottom).

I was concerned because the Parker name inside and out does not have the "registered" mark. Looking at the pictures above though it looks like a match. That version does not have a mark near the Parker logo.

Yes, I know. The situation is indeed confusing.
What is worse is that althought it is relatively easy to avoid main sources of fake Sonnets - there are private resellers who knowingly or unknowingly may switch boxes, nibs, barrels etc.... sad.gif

#6 Maja

Maja

Fan of colourful pens

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2006 - 18:42

Thanks very much for the information, Antonios! I had read Jim's article on Penhero.com and Bill's on Stylophiles....
As much as I now cringe at the price I paid for my black lacquer Sonnet at a B&M shop here in Vancouver (I paid almost double what it's going for online), at least I know it is an authentic Sonnet smile.gif

Anyone have any idea why this particular model is such a popular counterfeit item? Is it because the Parker name is known world-wide as a fountain pen company? Why the Sonnet?
Vancouver (B.C) Pen Club (our website)

#7 Scribbles

Scribbles

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:33

QUOTE(Maja @ Nov 3 2006, 06:42 PM)
Anyone have any idea why this particular model is such a popular counterfeit item? Is it because the Parker name is known world-wide as a fountain pen company? Why the Sonnet?

Its probably a combination of factors... Here is my educated guess.

1. The Parker name is well known.

2. The Sonnet is very popular. Demand gives motivation to fake it.

3. The Sonnet has been in production for a number of years. That means there has been more time to work on imitating the design. I get the impression from reading both articles that the fakes are getting really refined.

4. The long time in production also means the pen is widely available and widely recognized and associated with Parker. The number available could make it easier to slip fakes in.

5. The Sonnet has been produced in a wide variety of finishes which furthers the confusion.

6. The Sonnet is expensive enough to have a markup worth undercutting and yet its inexpensive enough that people will not always look closely at why they are getting such a bargain.

Some or all of these points may have been covered in one or both articles. I'm not sure as my memory is failing me at the moment. I will have to reread them.

#8 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,031 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:45

QUOTE(Maja @ Nov 3 2006, 02:42 PM)

This is an excellent question and the reasons discussed by Scribbles are all plausible. I really dont know for sure. It is ironic however, to see that the pens that get the most bad rap on the pen boards modern MBs and Parker Sonnets, are both being faked. For MB there is no doubt. For the Sonnet it is not clear. Perhaps it is much more liked in the broad market than on the pen boards....
It will be really interesting to see if fake Duofolds exist...

Edited by antoniosz, 04 November 2006 - 03:46.

#9 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• 3,031 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 13:10

Unfortunately the old links to photos are gone and I can not edit these posts.
You can find all the photos in this link:
http://azfp.blogspot...ine-sonnet.html

Also if you want to see typical fake Sonnet boxes they are offered by jon_jacobson1234 on ebay now (shipping from ... Pakistan).

Sponsored Content

|