Coming Soon: J.b.'s Perfect Pen Flush

Richard

Taken from Richard's site:

"The life of J.B.’s PERFECT PEN FLUSH depends on how frequently you clean your pens; how carefully you follow the instructions; and what kind of ink you’re using. How do you know when it‘s time to replace your bottle? When you can no longer see through the solution when you hold the bottle up to a bright light, the solution is spent and should be replaced. You can dispose of it safely by pouring it down any sink drain. Follow with running water for a few seconds to wash the drips away."

2. As a rough indicator, if I were to flush three to four pens twice a month and my inks were limited to Waterman Blue, Aurora Black and Diamines in brown, red and purple, how long would one jar last? The only reason I ask is that I am not from the US and it would make more sense for me to order enough to last me a year.

•  
  • Also, does the flush help lubricate the piston system on pens like Pelikans?

“It's not the last blow of the axe that fells the tree.”

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richard

• watch_art

• framebaer

• DavidHandmade

Richard! You are SUCH a tease!

My question is, would this be appropriate for a piston fill? The reason I ask is I always worry about the cleaning fluid somehow making the pistons less water tight... or should I say 'ink-tight." or a twist converter for that matter...

cheers

skip

Taken from Richard's site...

Didn't anybody notice that this information has been up on the Gate City Pen site for a week now? :D

I'm sorry, we can't tell how long a bottle should last. It will depend on how much you write, how often you fill, how conscientious and thorough you are in following the instructions, and so on. We typically use a bottle every fortnight or so, but we're going through hundreds of pens a week, and we're not very conscientious about the preliminary flush.

The product does not lubricate pistons, but it should not make them stiffer or cause them to leak. For lubricating pistons, we recommend only pure silicone grease, and here is how to apply it. (The instructions are written for Pelikans, but the same procedure applies to any piston- or syringe-filling pen with a plastic or rubber piston seal. (Cork seals should be re-paraffined before silicone is used, and that's not something you should try at home.)

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

seriously, it is water, ammonia, soap and alcohol...

What percentage of water? What percentage of ammonia? What percentage of "soap"? What kind of "soap"? Or is it "soaps" plural? Or is it actually soap (or soaps) at all? What percentage of alcohol?

I repeat: They can make something like it. Beware of imitations.

I don't know about snake oil, but you should definitely sell ginsu knives. :roflmho:

Edited by UltraMagnus

politician and idiot are synonymous terms - Mark Twain

seriously, it is water, ammonia, soap and alcohol...

What percentage of water? What percentage of ammonia? What percentage of "soap"? What kind of "soap"? Or is it "soaps" plural? Or is it actually soap (or soaps) at all? What percentage of alcohol?

I repeat: They can make something like it. Beware of imitations.

I don't know about snake oil, but you should definitely sell ginsu knives. :roflmho:

Oh man. I still have and occasionally use the Genuine GINSU knife I bought over 40 years ago when I was in college.yikes.gif

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Oh man. I still have and occasionally use the Genuine GINSU knife I bought over 40 years ago when I was in college.https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif

:yikes: indeed

Go on, do tell us: Is this what you use to widen the slit to increase the ink flow in dry-writing nibs? :P

John

Edited by Mr Ink

indeed

Go on, do tell us: Is this what you use to widen the slit to increase the ink flow in dry-writing nibs? :P

John

Oh No, NEVER, EVER use the sawtooth or scalloped edges!!! Only use the little bayonet thingy on the end!roflmho.gif

Edited by framebaer

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Oh man. I still have and occasionally use the Genuine GINSU knife I bought over 40 years ago when I was in college.http://www.fountainp...fault/yikes.gif

:yikes: indeed

John

Actually, I have it from a reliable source close to the situation that the knife is being use to cut the wood for the new medicine wagon that will house the inventory of J.B.'s Perfect Pen Flush at all upcoming shows they do.

Actually, I have it from a reliable source close to the situation that the knife is being use to cut the wood for the new medicine wagon that will house the inventory of J.B.'s Perfect Pen Flush at all upcoming shows they do.

Well, yeah, that's a reliable rumor, but the work is going very slowly due to the relative sizes of the GINSU knife and the lumber components for our wagon. Here's what we have so far.

http://www.richardspens.com/images/shared/med_wagon.jpg

We also suspect that 40 years of life in Jim's care have somewhat dulled the knife's appetite.

Little small to carry you guys 'round in, isn't it?

It's actually a single seater. Besides, if we're both riding, who's gonna pull?

Well, yeah, that's a reliable rumor, but the work is going very slowly due to the relative sizes of the GINSU knife and the lumber components for our wagon. Here's what we have so far.

http://www.richardspens.com/images/shared/med_wagon.jpg

We also suspect that 40 years of life in Jim's care have somewhat dulled the knife's appetite.

:ltcapd:

I really like Fred Krinke's "Fred's Secret Sauce" from his Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia, CA.

An FPN friend out there sent me a bottle and it is terrific.

You use it and toss it. Very effective. One bottle has lasted me quite a while.

Time will say nothing but I told you so.

Taken from Richard's site...

Didn't anybody notice that this information has been up on the Gate City Pen site for a week now? :D

I'm sorry, we can't tell how long a bottle should last. It will depend on how much you write, how often you fill, how conscientious and thorough you are in following the instructions, and so on. We typically use a bottle every fortnight or so, but we're going through hundreds of pens a week, and we're not very conscientious about the preliminary flush.

The product does not lubricate pistons, but it should not make them stiffer or cause them to leak. For lubricating pistons, we recommend only pure silicone grease, and here is how to apply it. (The instructions are written for Pelikans, but the same procedure applies to any piston- or syringe-filling pen with a plastic or rubber piston seal. (Cork seals should be re-paraffined before silicone is used, and that's not something you should try at home.)

=============

Thank you, sir!

skyppere

Whoopsie! Sorry Richard, I didn't think to check the Gate City Pens site. I only surfed your pages and I must have missed that bit of info on your shop's usage.

Thanks for the clarification!

Dino

“It's not the last blow of the axe that fells the tree.”

I smell snake oil

Not at all actually. I made up a concoction of my own and used it like the instructions state. Flush with water, with this stuff, then with water again. Makes for much QUICKER flushing and cleaning. I was quite impressed. Instead of alcohol I used a shot of vodka since that's all I had. :P THe ingredients make up less than 10% of the total bottle contents. The rest is just water.

I smell snake oil

Richard and Jim are two of the absolute last people in the pen industry I would accuse of selling snake oil....

Now snake ink... that might be a whole other matter... :rolleyes:

I smell snake oil

Richard and Jim are two of the absolute last people in the pen industry I would accuse of selling snake oil....

I agree with OldGriz.

Edited by Mr Ink