Pens In World War Two

WanderingAuthor

A short while ago, I had a sudden thought that I should combine two of my obsessions. :roflmho: But I don't even know if it is possible. Does anyone know if any pens were made for - or particularly used by - the Allied forces in World War Two? I know pens aren't the most usual instrument of war, but there were military versions of many other common items; flashlights, wrist watches, and so on. So I'm hoping there were wartime pens as well. Even more particularly, does anyone know if there was any official issue of pens for use by ARP wardens (in writing up reports, etc.) in Britain?

I probably couldn't afford one even if such a thing exists... but at least I want to know what to drool over from a distance. :puddle:

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WanderingAuthor

• Shangas

• scribere

• Kaweco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't speak to whether or not they were contracted by the government or not but I have several sheaffer pens with the military clip. One is a shortened clip approx. 1/3 the length of a normal clip and one where the clip is normal length that actually mounts over the top of the cap so it's shortened in length. They were designed to fit in a military shirt pocket and the clip wouldn't show below the flap. Let me know if you'd like a pic of both...

Can't speak to whether or not they were contracted by the government or not but I have several sheaffer pens with the military clip. One is a shortened clip approx. 1/3 the length of a normal clip and one where the clip is normal length that actually mounts over the top of the cap so it's shortened in length. They were designed to fit in a military shirt pocket and the clip wouldn't show below the flap. Let me know if you'd like a pic of both...

I would be interested in seeing what they look like, if it isn't a lot of trouble.

Contracted by the government or not, at least I know such pens exist. I thought they must, but I wasn't sure. And whatever their official status, they have a clear association with the Allied war effort. :puddle:

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

the Wandering Author

Just like everything else, pens during WWII had a severely restricted output. Most likely, people would have bought what they could find and be damned grateful for it. I don't think they could afford to have specially-issued service-pens or whatever. There were the "military clips" as already mentioned, but I don't know of any other special arrangements or changes that were made.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

The shorter of the two, IIRC, is referred to as a Tuckaway. Not sure about the larger one.

Thanks! That's fascinating.

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

the Wandering Author

(Nice pics!)

Oddly enough, I have been wondering about the same thing. I even caught myself replaying in slow-mo a scene from 'Band of Brothers' to see if I could make out what pen was being used by Major Winters (assuming of course that they were not using something anachronistic for the production). Couldn't make it out, though.

Ken

In the front line areas the humble pencil would have been the most common writing instrument. Rear echelon units would probably be using whatever pens they had to hand. It may be possible that some relatively basic pens would have been government issued, something like a cheap CS, Waterman 501 or similar. I believe that US forces rear echelon units used Esterbrooks mainly.

Hope this helps.

Iechyd da pob Cymro

In the front line areas the humble pencil would have been the most common writing instrument. Rear echelon units would probably be using whatever pens they had to hand. It may be possible that some relatively basic pens would have been government issued, something like a cheap CS, Waterman 501 or similar. I believe that US forces rear echelon units used Esterbrooks mainly.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks. I do know many things in World War Two were less "official" than we suppose, but am trying to track down as much information as I can. Every little clue gives me something else to track down. I am guessing (sadly, for my own preoccupations) that the US forces were more likely to have an official issue, at least later in the war, than the British or any of the Free Forces. I can't say about ANZAC or Canadian troops, as I know less about their supply situation, but I know in Britain war production was more focused on absolute essentials. When the US entered the war, they were shocked at the scale and variety of military supply available to the GIs. Actually, that's why they were called GIs (Government Issue), because so many things they had were government issued.

What I wonder is whether the British government arranged to procure any large lots of existing, inexpensive pens for distribution. (After all, fountain pens were the only option other than pencils at the time.) Of course, tracking down records of such a purchase would probably be impossible. Why don't serious historians concern themselves with these vital issues? :lol: When I really think about it, though, the ARP arrangements were extremely makeshift in most areas, so I doubt any one pen would have been issued to the wardens. Which is a shame, because owning a fountain pen I could document as tied to the Blitz would... :puddle: you get the idea.

Edited by WanderingAuthor

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

the Wandering Author

A lot of the materials used to make pens were essential war-materials. Rubber for ink-sacs was needed for airplane tires. Steel for clips, nibs or pressure-bara was needed for weapons and plastics were needed for weapons and general equipment. So penmakers would make pens out of whatever they could find. Because of materials shortages, I think people would have used whatever they could find. They'd stick to the cheapest pens that they could get, or they would use pre-war pens.

I seem to recall an advertisement for ink (I think it was Parker or Sheaffer). They advocated using their company's ink because it flowed better and made the pen last longer, and this, they said, was important and being patriotic, because you needed your pen to last longer so that your country would have more resources to fight the Germans.

Although production was severely limited, I understand that the vacumatic-fill Parker '51' was a popular wartime pen because its design meant it could be carried by military personnel without the clip sticking out under the pocket-flap.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Yes, that makes sense. I wasn't thinking so much about civilian use, though, but about pens produced for issue to officers, air raid wardens, etc. - or purchases of "civilian" pens for this purpose. Although it is interesting to have the "homefront" perspective as well. And I hadn't heard that about the Parker 51s before, either.

Slightly off topic, since I noticed your signature: I have never come across a single source which offered a clue as to just what type of fountain pen Anne owned. I know her pen was later burned up in a tragic accident - she wrote about that (and if it still existed, it would belong in the Anne Frank House, anyway, much as I would love to own it). I don't recall ever seeing a photo of her with a pen, for example, and the Definitive Edition of her diary makes no mention of the specific pen. I take it you have never seen any information on this, either? (Yes, I am obsessive. :P But can you imagine just how inspiring it would be to hold in your hand a pen identical to the one Anne Frank wrote portions of her diary with?)

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

the Wandering Author

Does anyone know if any pens were made for - or particularly used by - the Allied forces in World War Two?

Reference: http://books.google.com/books?id=jFAEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=1943+united+states+army+quartermaster+fountain+pen&source=bl&ots=75lJ2G_5y3&sig=JscHlNLhRd8jD7HUWq3Gd2v8RVg&hl=en&ei=N39cTeWtEMuCtgearJTrCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Life Magazine, August 30,1943. Ad for Easterbrook civilian pens.

Reference: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/morrison-pen-pencil-patriot-u-s-marine-mint-1942

Morrison pen/pencil set sold in PX's

Reference: http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/profiles/patriot.htm

More information on Morrison

Reference: http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/design/milclips.htm

Interesting information on being gigged. With which I have personal experience. :-(

What would be helpful would be a 1942-1945 Quartermaster's manual but I've not been able to locate the appropriate one.

Would you be interesting in learning the purpose of the M1 Garand stack swivel? FM22-5 manuals are relatively easy to find <ggg>.

Interesting that there's no definitive answer to this one found so far.

Jim

Edit:

"British Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery clutched a Parker 51 while signing the 1945 treaty cementing Germany's surrender at the end of World War II."

Source: http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/2002-06-06/calendar/the-pen-is-mightier/

Edited by Fmrvette

Thank you! That is fascinating, and very helpful - even if I have suddenly discovered a need to collect a pen I'd never heard of before (the Morrison). :roflmho:

And I never even thought of trying to track down a Quartermaster's manual. That's an excellent idea. Some military museum is bound to have one, I would think.

As for Monty's Parker 51 - if it could be identified, and I could afford it, I'd love to own that pen. Imagine having a pen that was present at the German surrender. I wouldn't mind a pen Churchill owned, either, but that would be out of my league, too. Still, I can dream.

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

the Wandering Author

I think Pendemonium has a copy of a Parker ad explaining why they are not ramping up pen production during the late stages of the war. I also thought Richard Binders web site had a discussion about the Sheaffer military clip vs a Parker. The important point being keeping the shirt pocket flap smooth and even. Some where there is a post about Eisenhower and his friendship with Mr. Parker. Also look for a topic about famous people and the fountain pens they use.

Good luck

The key to life is how well you deal with Plan B.

Completely off topic, I once restored a New Hudson Autocycle used by ARP wardens, refurbished and sold on to unsuspecting civilians as "new" in the early 50's. Horrible contraption.

Iechyd da pob Cymro

My father served in the RAF and used a communal dip pen and ink to write home and to record all the places he visited on a large sheet of wrapping paper. My understanding is that Conway Stewart stopped making pens and turned production over to war materials. Onoto was based in Scotland and continued to produce pens but also made "spy" type pens with compartments for maps for the RAF.

Edited by shadowsforbars

My father served in the RAF and used a communal dip pen and ink to write home and to record all the places he visited on a large sheet of wrapping paper. My understanding is that Conway Stewart stopped making pens and turned production over to war materials. Onoto was based in Scotland and continued to produce pens but also made "spy" type pens with compartments for maps for the RAF.

Thanks! That's interesting. So Onoto is another name to keep in mind. And I'd kill to get my hands on one of the pens with a map compartment. :puddle: Somehow, I suspect they'd be out of my price range, though, even if I could find one.

Also, if your father is still living, please convey my utmost respect and gratitude to him. I am very well aware that it was in large part thanks to the efforts of those in the RAF that we are not dominated by one of the most monstrous governments ever to foul history.

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

the Wandering Author

re Anne Frank's fountain pen, there was a long discussion here at FPN:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54505&hl=anne+frank

Conclusion? No...I'll let you read the thread. That's more fun!

I believe that most of Parker's production went to the war effort...memory says the Janesville, Wisconsin factory turned out "plexi-glass" canopies. General Eisenhower had a Parker 51 Vac because he was a friend of the Parker family. There is a picture (somewhere) of Ike making a 'V' sign on VE Day using a pair of Parker 51s.

My dad took a Parker Vacumatic (the non 51) when he was assigned to a carrier in the Pacific. Sailors had some storage, even on small ships; soldiers would have used pencils in the field...as mentioned above.

I don't know if the US Navy ordered up Esterbrook pens, but I have seen an inkwell made for the Navy: very wide circular base, very low, maroon cap with a nib-slot for filling a pen. If you google, you might find the store selling them.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

The Tucky would not have met the uniform requirements, the other though was designed for military use. The standard Vacs, Striped Duofolds and "51"s from Parker met the specs.

My Website

What I wonder is whether the British government arranged to procure any large lots of existing, inexpensive pens for distribution. (After all, fountain pens were the only option other than pencils at the time.) Of course, tracking down records of such a purchase would probably be impossible. Why don't serious historians concern themselves with these vital issues? :lol:

Speaking as a historian here, you hit upon exactly why historians don't look up things like this! :roflmho:

That, and the way the system works today (in terms of getting $ to do research and to write and publish articles and books based on said research) is that things like this have to be relevant to a larger theme.

Translation: If FPs didn't play a major role in WWII, no money for you to look this up!

Sad but true.

Dum spiro spero -- Cicero

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png