Hero 100 - Best Pen Money Can Buy?

Rustyshackelford

Who sells Hero pens? I've never seen them on the major pen websites, so I assumed that they were primarily ebay items.

Regards,

HisNibs.com also sells two major models of Hero: the 329 and 330. (no affiliation and all that) From what I've read Hero's are feast or famine in their QC levels. You'll either get the bargain of a life time or one of the worst pens you'll have had the distinct displeasure to write with. I've my fingers crossed that the black 616 I'm waiting for in the mail falls under the feast category.

Wish-list: Parker 51 India Black Vacumatic. Green Parker Vacumatic Maxima. Visconti Homo Sapien. Aurora Optima and Vintage 88. Lamy 27. Sheaffer Pen For Men V. Moss-Agate Waterman Patrician, Pelikan Souverän M450. I just need to win the lottery now.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Number3124

• Rustyshackelford

• Fuzzy123

• davidw

Gaaa! The problem with that is that, if I get a bad one, it's good for nothing. At least when I bought cheap Russian 35mm cameras on ebay, if I got a real clam I could take it to work and pretend to be taking a picture. When an unsuspecting colleague walked in front of me, I'd snap the shutter, scream like a maniac, and smash the camera on the ground, stomping on it. Major drama.

Edited by Jeffery Smith

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

An excellent inexpensive pen is the Reform 1745...I believe several are still up for sale here on FPN for under $10, shipped.  It is similar to a Pelikan M200 in appearance.  Steel, partly gold plated nib, piston fill.  German quality control.  Especially good if you smooth the nib a little bit.  I have a dozen of them, at least.  My other favorites for under $20 are the Parker Frontier and Waterman Harley Davidson (Kultur-type).

I have been using Hero pens for years mainly cause I am from Shanghai. I now just recently started to buy pens in America... Anyway, I got my Parker Sonnet today from Amazon, and I have to say that I am very disappointed at the "fine nib" being so thick...

I am thinking about returning the Sonnet even though it is a nice pen...

If the pen is nice and you only have problems with nib width, ask around and get the nib replaced or perhaps adjusted by a skilled nibmeister.

I'm not your 'friend', bud

This is perhaps not to criticize Hero itself, but I have a hard time buying anything from what was formerly a Parker factory that was nationalized---that is, seized by force, presumably---by the Chinese Communists.  If someone knows some history that more accurately corrects my understanding and indicates that this was not, in fact, the case, I'd love to be open minded about it.  Until then, it does not really matter to me how much water runs under the bridge, how much time goes by, and how much good the Communist "revolution" is said to have done.  I'll still be holding back on buying these.  I admit I should look into it more, but as far as I know right now, Parker didn't get paid for its factory.

Thank you. As a newbie I am interested in the history of the pens I buy. I am just starting and have a few core pens: Montegrappa, Danitrio, Pelikan, and Waterman so now I am interested in the less expensive modern or vintage pens. I have been reading about Cross, and Parker since I would like to fine a good American made pen. Any suggestions? Anyone

thanks

considering that both parker and cross are now no longer made in usa, you're gonna have to look for older ones. An occasional check in antique shops might help you out.

This is perhaps not to criticize Hero itself, but I have a hard time buying anything from what was formerly a Parker factory that was nationalized---that is, seized by force, presumably---by the Chinese Communists.  If someone knows some history that more accurately corrects my understanding and indicates that this was not, in fact, the case, I'd love to be open minded about it.  Until then, it does not really matter to me how much water runs under the bridge, how much time goes by, and how much good the Communist "revolution" is said to have done.  I'll still be holding back on buying these.  I admit I should look into it more, but as far as I know right now, Parker didn't get paid for its factory.

Thank you. As a newbie I am interested in the history of the pens I buy. I am just starting and have a few core pens: Montegrappa, Danitrio, Pelikan, and Waterman so now I am interested in the less expensive modern or vintage pens. I have been reading about Cross, and Parker since I would like to fine a good American made pen. Any suggestions? Anyone

thanks

A Parker 45. You can get one for $25 or so. They may still make them in England. The nibs screw in and out and you can get a nib for about $10 to $15. Some people say they are as good as 51's. I

don't have any comment on that. I will say a 51 looks a lot more cool and I'd rather have a 51 in my shirt pocket.

A 45 or a 51 in fine point is close to the Hero 100, but I give the Hero 100 the edge on that. It is certainly built a lot better. If you're going to get a 45 in fine point, I'd say throw in $5 more bucks and get the FPN'ers most highly regarded Chinese pen. (Hey, even the people who say the Hero 100 is a sorry pen--they probably still think it's the best out of China, just like I do.)

A Parker 61--you can get a 61 cheap, but when you buy the Parker 61, go to the drug store and buy and ear syringe at the same time--if you're planning on writing with the 61. They've got this capillary filler and I think every one that's ever been sold on ebay is gunked up.

If you want to go low rent, get a Sheaffer Nononsense. Or a Sheaffer italic. Or a Parker Reflex, which is not a bad pen. Neither is the Sheaffer italic.

But with the Parker 45 in a medium point, I think most everybody will agree that you're writing with something close to the 51. If I didn't want to get controversial, I'd say better than a 51.

This is perhaps not to criticize Hero itself, but I have a hard time buying anything from what was formerly a Parker factory that was nationalized---that is, seized by force, presumably---by the Chinese Communists. If someone knows some history that more accurately corrects my understanding and indicates that this was not, in fact, the case, I'd love to be open minded about it. Until then, it does not really matter to me how much water runs under the bridge, how much time goes by, and how much good the Communist "revolution" is said to have done. I'll still be holding back on buying these. I admit I should look into it more, but as far as I know right now, Parker didn't get paid for its factory.

Actually, the nationalization of the company is one of the things that I really like about the Heros. I'm glad to see money go to the workers and not to shareholders. One man's meat being another man's poison and all that.

I also love how my two Hero 100s write. I use them more than my Pelikans.

Edited by Fuzzy123

Proud to be a Co-Freemason.

Pelikan Piazza Navona, Pelikan M400 white tortoise, Pelikan M400 brown tortoise, 2 Hero 100s

To answer the OP's question, while it may not be the best pen ever made, it is most definitely the best pen for the money, IMHO. I love my two.

Pelikan Piazza Navona, Pelikan M400 white tortoise, Pelikan M400 brown tortoise, 2 Hero 100s

or you know, you could just get a 51. if youre patient youll pay about the same amount. or, you may pay considerably more, depending on what it is you desire.

by all means, enjoy your 100 if you like it however.

Sadly, this is most likely true. Parker and every other company with factories in China got screwed when the communists rolled in. I justified my purchase of a 616 because it was used. The money had already be paid by someone else. I was just buying from them. Still... :sick:

Wish-list: Parker 51 India Black Vacumatic. Green Parker Vacumatic Maxima. Visconti Homo Sapien. Aurora Optima and Vintage 88. Lamy 27. Sheaffer Pen For Men V. Moss-Agate Waterman Patrician, Pelikan Souverän M450. I just need to win the lottery now.

or you know, you could just get a 51. if youre patient youll pay about the same amount. or, you may pay considerably more, depending on what it is you desire.

A Hero is selling for $32 on isellpens.com. Where can you possibly get a working P51 for ever twice that price?

"I'm glad to see money go to the workers and not to shareholders"

Fuzzy123- Are you serious? Do you really believe that? :ltcapd:

Edited by Marsh

A Hero is selling for $32 on isellpens.com. Where can you possibly get a working P51 for ever twice that price?

Ive gotten 2 off ebay. One worked perfectly, the other I just had to take apart and reconnect the breather tube. One was 27 dollars, one was 30.

And 60 bucks will buy you a 51 on here easy if you dont mind black.

Edited by redisburning

"I'm glad to see money go to the workers and not to shareholders"

Fuzzy123- Are you serious? Do you really believe that? :notworthy1:

Was I not clear enough?

Edited by Fuzzy123

Any chance they would be Vacs with gold caps and fine to ef nibs?

not sure, I havent seen every parker 51 that has sold here even in the last few weeks. likely? probably not. but it should be enough to get an aero with a lustaroy cap, and certainly enough for a special or demi.

Edited by redisburning

not sure, I havent seen every parker 51 that has sold here even in the last few weeks. likely? probably not. but it should be enough to get an aero with a lustaroy cap, and certainly enough for a special or demi.

Thanks. I'll keep the hunt up.

I have a Hero 100 and 110. Both have gold tips and both write super smooth. Personally, I would not worry about their QC too much.

However, Hero is the top Chinese pen maker, thus faking Hero is a rampant business. Buyers should really be careful when purchasing. Only choose reliable seller. I saw in the forum that someone let their friends who went to China to buy pens for them. That is not a guarantee even the buyer is a Chinese!

Edited by Wave Rider