FPN Quick Navigation
- Our New FPN 2015 LE Pen!
- - FPN Blue Pearl Celebration LE
- FPN Forums & Forum Categories
- - FPN News forum
- - The Mall forum
- - FPN World forums
- - The Marketplace Forums
- - Writing Instruments forums
- - Brand Focus forums
- - Regional Focus forums
- - Inks, Inc. forums
- - Paper, & Pen Acc. forums
- - Creative Expressions forums
- FPN Store, Donations, Accounts & Advertising
- - Store Home
- - FPN Ink Store
- - Advertise on FPN - Info
- - FPN Marketing & Advertising
- - Variable Amount Donations - Iridium, Rhodium & Platinum
- - Fixed Amount FPN Rhodium & Platinum Supporters, & FPN without Ads Donations
- - Premium (Trader/Retailer) Accounts
- - Straight PayPal Anonymous Donations
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Annual Subscription
- - FPN Without Ads Donation, Monthly Subscription
- - The FPN Café Press Shop
- FPN Apps & Modules
- - Blogs
- - Classifieds
- - Gallery
- - Downloads
- - Home Page
- - Members
- - Pen Events Calendar
- - FPN's RSS Feeds
- - Shoutbox
- - Upload
- - Classifieds: Browsing
- - Classifieds: Creation
- - Classifieds: Questions & Answers
- - Upload: How-to
- Rules & Guidelines
- - FPN Rules, Guidelines, TOU
- - Classifieds Rules
- - Premium Accounts: Rules
- - Market Watch Rules
Sheaffer 330 Fine Or Extra Fine? (Or Imperial Deluxe?)
Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:42
I want to buy a vintage Sheaffer pen and think 330 and Imperial Deluxe are two great choices. I know there have been several reviews on 330, however I still have doubts. Can anybody provide some insights on how these two compare to each other?
Also I need some suggestions on the size of the 330 nib, if I were to buy one. Although I normally like 0.4mm-0.5mm range tip for writing, I read a couple reviews saying 330 has a super super fine tip, and can be sometimes scratchy. I currently have a Pilot Penmanship extra fine which has very tiny nib...Is there anyone who has used both 330 and Pilot Penmanship (I know it is a low grade cheap pen and at first it was scratchy but after 1 hour of writing it is now getting surprisingly better)?
Thanks ahead everybody.
Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:21
Now, to your specific questions:
Since you mentioned Teri I am going to assume you meant the Imperial II Deluxe and if so you will also notice that the Imperial II has a Touchdown filling system while the 330 is a cartridge/converter system. The Touchdown system allows easy filling from a bottle but you can also refill carts with a syringe.
As for the nibs, there may be some difference in the size of the Fine nibs on the pens but not much. I do not have the XF in the Sheaffer's and the only Pilot on which I do have the XF is not the Penmanship, but the Pilot XF is certainly smaller, or 'finer' than the Sheaffer F nibs.
Capped the 330 is a little lighter than the Imperial II but uncapped and unposted they are very similar. The 330 may be a millimeter thicker where the section meets the barrel and the pens are almost exactly the same length unposted or capped. Posted the Imperial is a little longer by a few millimeters.
The Deluxe cap is heavier than the 330 cap but both balance well posted or not.
If you prefer the 'finer' nibs,choose the pen with the EF option. If only Fine nibs are available either is a good choice.
I like them both and would be hard pressed to name a favorite.
PS:Terim is a well respected member here.
Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:27
Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:55