The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc Writer's Edition F. Scott Fitzgerald

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 elderberry

elderberry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:01

Hi all,

this is my first review on FPN so please don't expect too much. :D It's about the MB Fitzgerald pen which recently moved in with me.

INTRODUCTION: I can't decline that I was drawn to the pen because I like Fitzgerald. I do like Kafka too though and the pen does nothing for me. "Fitz" comes in the usual Writer's Edition "I'm a book! Oh, wait..."-packaging which I don't like because it looks like the cheapish editions of Pearl S. Buck you find at every garage sale.

Appearance & Design (9/10) – The design is meant to talk about the roaring twenties and to me it does. I find it easy to imagine a pen like this one in "The Great Gatsby". The barrel is made of "mother of pearl resin", though it reminds me more of folds in a satin sheet because the material seems to have a considerable depth dimension. Piston knob and cap are black and set with sterling silver rings and clip. The shape reminds of a zeppelin. It doesn't get the full 10 points because it's not a design I've been overwhelmed by but I do like it a lot.

fitz1.jpg

Construction & Quality (8/10) – I haven't owned the pen for a terribly long time yet, but don't have any reasons for complaints. The piston filling mechanism works smoothly and efficiently, the clip slides into place without having to be lifted manually. One point off because I sometimes don't manage to "hit" the threads of the cap at the first attempt when screwing it on - which might be my fault of course. :P Another point off because it doesn't have an ink window which could be inconvenient at times.

Weight & Dimensions (9/10) – "Fitz" is a lightweight pen, though it doesn't look like it on the pictures. The overall length of barely 14 cms doesn't make it particularly large either. I find it nicely balanced though it could be a tad heavier for my taste.

Nib & Performance (10/10) – It came with the standard M nib which I had exchanged for an OB, a choice I am quite happy with. The picture shows a writing sample (please don't mind the hand, I'm working on that) with Caran d'Ache Saffron ink on Clairefontaine 90g paper. Although the edition is quite old - it came out in 2002 - there wasn't a problem to get the desired nib. The nib is 18k bicolor which adds even more to the "roaring twenties" feel and has an "urban skyline" carved into it. It writes very smooth but with an edge to it which gives nice feedback to the hand. Unlike some other Montblancs I own this one doesn't have the slightest starting problems even on very smooth paper. Nothing to improve here.

fitz2.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance (8/10) - "Fitz" is a classic piston filler which holds a considerable amount of ink. As stated above, there is no ink window. As a Montblanc it wishes to be sent to a service center for maintenance or nib swap.

Cost & Value (10/10) – I bought this pen at half the price at a shop's closing-down sale since so cost/value relation for me is nothing but excellent. :-D Shortly after I've heard that MB put the retail price for these up to € 980,- (approx. $ 1300,-).

Conclusion (9) - A pen which I like equally for its looks and its nib and which is frequently used.
Read more about me, my pens, photography & so on my little blog

Sponsored Content

#2 jotterius

jotterius

ebonite junkie :)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:04

Great review!!!!!!!!
Yes I confess, I am still using my Jotter

#3 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,709 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:46

Great review!!!!!!!!

Yep +1 :thumbup:

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

#4 akrishna59

akrishna59

Dr. Verghese Kurien - Father of the White Revolution in India.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:35

beautiful pen, would have loved a close up of the nib, but still great snaps.

i dont know how you managed to get such clear snaps, i am sure that i will fail miserably if i try myself.

rgds.

krishna.
ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

#5 roger3

roger3

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2011 - 14:31

Thanks for the review. This pen had been on my "wish list" for some time(years really) before I was blessed with a gracious FPN seller who had one just as I wanted it and at a fair price. A "win-win" I think. The F.Scott is indeed one of my favorite MBs :thumbup: :thumbup:
May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.
Roger

#6 Sidestreaker

Sidestreaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2011 - 15:51

Elderberry, thank you for the review and I've been looking to this since I saw your post on the latest MB purchase. I needed more assurance that this is a good buy in the Writers Edition series before making any commitments to purchase it. Clearly, this is one of the more tastefully done WE out there. I hope to obtain it and perhaps contribute to another review.

Congrats on your buy again, great review and I just love the pics!
My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

Posted Image

#7 elderberry

elderberry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2011 - 16:12

Thanks for your feedback! I would have liked to provide a close-up from the nib as well but couldn't make the camera do it. I'll give it some more tries in the next few days and post one if I succeed.

#8 Soulmaker1

Soulmaker1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2011 - 17:19

I have a Fitz with an OB that was made into a cursive italic OB, and it is my favorite pen! The line variation is as much as my 149 with OBB :thumbup:

Edited by Adrian Collins, 13 February 2011 - 17:20.

MB 149 YWC, MB Doue BP, Parker Sterling Silver Cisele BP & RB

#9 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,078 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2011 - 17:41

great pen :thumbup: thanks for sharing
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#10 tonysingh

tonysingh

Etched With Ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 February 2011 - 19:04

Great review but even better handwriting.:thumbup:

#11 elderberry

elderberry

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2011 - 14:49

You can't be serious, Tony. ;)

As promised I tried again for a nib close-up, with some better success this time. Here it is (+ fingerprint on the section :rolleyes:) :

fitz3.jpg

#12 Sidestreaker

Sidestreaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2011 - 20:58

great shot, just love the nib. Fingerprint adds more character to the pen too! :)
My link

Life is like Chinatown signage, its cluttering, confusing but everything that you need is there, just have to look harder....

Posted Image

#13 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2011 - 23:47

Thank you for the review.
I find my Fitz to be an excellent companion for everyday writing.
Respect to all

#14 breaker

breaker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 20:47

nice review and pics!
Cogito ergo sum

#15 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 22:47

Forgot to comment that I really liked this review and another one on this good looking pen. Congratulations.

#16 bugmd

bugmd

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2011 - 23:09

Very nice review, love my Fitz.

don
A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

#17 Professor Plume

Professor Plume

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2011 - 14:25

Congratulations on not only acquiring this beauty but on getting it at such a great price! Thanks for the wonderful review. I agree with you: Fitzgerald is an amazing writer (present tense because superior art stays perpetual) . Terrific photos too!

#18 lewis

lewis

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 March 2011 - 17:55

Nice pics and great review. A Beautiful pen, I hope you have lots of enjoyment from it.
Fountain pens aren't a collection, it's an insatiable obsession!

Shotokan Karate: Respect, Etiquette, Discipline, Perseverance

#19 Bart1979

Bart1979

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 18:48

Good review and what a marvelous pen to look at! Have a good time with it!

#20 empyrean

empyrean

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2011 - 18:52

Another great review and pics that I've read today! Fitz is beautiful! And your writing sample doesn't need any apologies! I have never tried an OB nib; looking at your sample, I may try one sooner than later. Thank you for the info! :thumbup:
empyrean Conklin,Stipula Pyrite, Bon Voyage & Tuscany Dreams Siena, Levengers, Sailor 1911,Pelikan M200, Bexley BX802, AoLiWen Music Notes pen, Jinhao's,1935 Parker Deluxe Challenger, 1930s Eversharp Gold Seal RingTop, 1940s Sheaffer Tuckaway, 1944 Sheaffer Triumph, Visconti Van Gogh midi, Esties!(SJ, T, and J),Cross Townsend Medalist & Aventura, 1930s Mentmore Autoflow, A bunch of Conway-Stewarts 84, Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue(med); Montegrappa Elmo (broad nib), Delta "The Journal" (med nib), Conklin Yellowstone (med nib)

Sponsored Content

|