Anyone Willing To Repair A Parker 45?

Kendra

Grandma gave me it as a gift and it unfortunately doesnt work? Does anyone know of an affordable repair service or anyone on this forum? I plan on fixing it in a few months and want to get it planned out and get an estimate.

Turned out to be a Parker 45!

Edited by Kendra

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kendra

• Jeff E

• J English Smith

• Beechwood

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Before sending it out, can you describe what you mean by it not working? A little troubleshooting may save you some $$$$. Is the nib bent or out of alignment? Will it not write when filled with ink? Is it leaking. I bought a 45 last month and when I attempted to fill the pen it leaked. I solved the problem by putting in a new slide converter.

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

Grandma gave me it as a gift and it unfortunately doesnt work? Does anyone know of an affordable repair service or anyone on this forum? I plan on fixing it in a few months and want to get it planned out and get an estimate.

They are very easy to take apart.

Unscrew the nib section at the end and let it soak awhile, a few hours at least, wash the inside of the pen, buy a Parker cartridge and put it all toether, you should be fine

Mods - I think this may be better moved to the repair section?

Edited by Arthur

Before sending it out, can you describe what you mean by it not working? A little troubleshooting may save you some $$$$. Is the nib bent or out of alignment? Will it not write when filled with ink? Is it leaking. I bought a 45 last month and when I attempted to fill the pen it leaked. I solved the problem by putting in a new slide converter.

Oops! Pardon my mistake! It is a Parker 61 according to the box. It wont write with filled ink and I have tried to fill it. To be honest, I dont know much about the pen. She gave it to me as a gift. The clip has faller off and is very loose. Falls off every time. It has that weird filling system where you dip the back end of the pen into the ink. Obviously, I need to know more about the pen, but I want it working first.

The issue is...I'm absolutely terrified that I will break it! It hasnt been used since she got it in college.

Edited by Kendra

The cap issue should be easy - I think the 61 caps are like the 51s, there is a jewel in the top and there is a securing screw beneath that. You can probably fix this yourself, but if you are nervous, any competent pen repairer can do that.

The first thing to try on the wick filler is to soak it a bit in water, to soften up the old ink; then gently flush using a ear syringe that's been cut to allow the end to just fit over the end of the filler. You fill the syringe with water and then very very gently apply pressure to help flush the wick. You may need to do this a few times and then let the wick re-dry before testing with ink.

There are cases where the wick material is really shot and have to be re-packed, which is tricky. This filler was not Parker's best idea ever.

Good luck! I will be interested to hear who on here could repack the 61 filler. I believe that Richard B does that, probably Ron Zorn, and there are others, I'm sure.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

A 61 is WAYYYYYYYY different from a 45. I suspect it is the first generation 61 with the one piece filler. You fill it by taking off the barrel and sticking the black filler into a bottle of ink. Super easy to fill, BUT 61s tend to get gunked up and stop flowing. You can try soaking the section with the filler in cool tap water. This is going to take a while. You then use an ear cleaner for babies, the rubber bulb type, to flush the pen. You will need to most likely cut off the tip of the ear bulb to make it fit over the filler. It will be a long process to clean out the dried ink from the pen. Good luck.

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

I soaked it for days and then dried it like mentioned, and also attempted filling it via some blog directions and online good pages and it still wont work.

The black part/fill comes off?

It does. The only problem is that it missing. It is almost like a spring of some sort. I am honestly too nervous to fix it myself.

OK. I'm confused. Are we talking Parker 45 or 61? If you have a capillary filling 61 you do not remove anything just put the end of the black filler in ink and it will self-fill via capillary action. If you have a 45 then it takes a standard Parker converter or cartridge.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Doesn't this model also take a certain type of screw in converter? I remember seeing a picture of one recently, but can't remember where.

It does. The only problem is that it missing. It is almost like a spring of some sort. I am honestly too nervous to fix it myself.

The Parker 61 never came with a screw off converter. It was only made in two variations... the capillary filler and in later years a cartridge/converter fill version that used standard Parker cartridges and converters.

The black capillary filler should not be coming off the pen under normal conditions and there should not be any spring or some sort at the back of the section.

I would strongly suggest you post some pictures of the pen and especially the filler unit so we know exactly what you are talking about.

Oops! Pardon my mistake! It is a Parker 61 according to the box. It wont write with filled ink and I have tried to fill it. To be honest, I dont know much about the pen. She gave it to me as a gift. The clip has faller off and is very loose. Falls off every time. It has that weird filling system where you dip the back end of the pen into the ink. Obviously, I need to know more about the pen, but I want it working first.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/178910-value-of-a-fully-restored-parker-61-set/page__view__findpost__p__1798155

Is this the same 61???

Fred