L' Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Inks

SamCapote

I have not posted tests since there seemed to be little interest when I posted the scans showing water resistance and potential shading capacity. (Only two comments!)

Callifolio is a slow starter here on FPN. I first inquired about them in Nov. 2005, but only a post a year later generated some response at all. Since then Callifolio was repeatedly on and off the FPN ink addict's radar.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• USMCMom

• Michael R.

• Jared

I have not posted tests since there seemed to be little interest when I posted the scans showing water resistance and potential shading capacity. (Only two comments!)

Callifolio is a slow starter here on FPN. I first inquired about them in Nov. 2005, but only a post a year later generated some response at all. Since then Callifolio was repeatedly on and off the FPN ink addict's radar.

I remember!

While those have been interesting to me all the time I decided to try a few more colors after Rolf Thiel from missing-pen gave me some trial bottles and Callifolio camw out with some new really interesting colors.

I'm very happy now that I finally purchased some more colors.

Cheers

Michael

I for one am very interested in Callifolio ink tests. I want to buy some of their inks, but I still feel uncertain about the colors displayed at their and other websites. Tests, scans and reviews on this site seem to be the most reliable. At least, that is what I found so far.....

Passions need to be followed and shared

I think it is all about repeated promotion from from big mouth blabbers like me :bawl:, and people seeing you can order from their site by using Google translate--inputting their URL. Google just went public in 2004, and Google Translate (especially of entire web URL's) is a relatively new utility. Plus I wasn't feeling the love from France under Jacques Chirac.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I think it is all about repeated promotion from from big mouth blabbers like me :bawl:, a

Exactly. Your enthusiasm for inks is very contagious. But, keep us posted on your ink discoveries.

I ordered my inks on the 13th, I believe it was and they arrived today!!! Wow ... that was fast!! Everything was very, very well packed. I think the only way a pouch or bottle could have been damaged is if an 18-wheeler rolled over it. Very well packed! I'm thrilled that they arrived so quickly. I want to open them up and play, but I can't ... moving tomorrow, so I have to wait. I don't want to wait!

If anyone is thinking about ordering this ink and aren't sure about it ... do it!!!

I am still awaiting a comparison review. How do these inks compare to what we are familiar with?

Does Rolf plan to carry the Callifolio inks in stock? I haven't seen any mention of this brand on his website.

I am still awaiting a comparison review. How do these inks compare to what we are familiar with?

Does Rolf plan to carry the Callifolio inks in stock? I haven't seen any mention of this brand on his website.

I have the 34 Callifolio inks all poured into Goulet vials, organized in their racks, but then Michael R. mentioned the other 19 Classics which I should be getting this week. The ones I have used so far are superb in performance, shading, & unique colors. They are not waterproof or resistant which makes them great for vintage and expensive piston filling pens. I'll just say that there are very few inks that I am comfortable enough to put them in one of my Vintage Waterman lever filler "Wet Noodle" Flex nibs I got from Mauricio's www.vintagepen.net but these are in that select category. Before they go in pens like that, I'm looking at them under the microscope.

Edited by SamCapote

I have the 34 Callifolio inks all poured into Goulet vials, organized in their racks, but then Michael R. mentioned the other 19 Classics ...

...the classique inks arrived safely today:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Inks/P1010001.jpg

(uncorrected flash photography)

I'm too tired to list all the names so I leave it up to you to guess :headsmack:

Cheers

Michael

I'm too tired to list all the names so I leave it up to you to guess :headsmack:

Tired......but happy I guess....:rolleyes:

They look wonderful, fresh, very interesting......Thank you for sharing this so quickly!

Passions need to be followed and shared

I have the 34 Callifolio inks all poured into Goulet vials, organized in their racks, but then Michael R. mentioned the other 19 Classics ...

...the classique inks arrived safely today:

(uncorrected flash photography)

Great job. Those look closer to their website, except the lilac, violet, caramel/orange shades. Be interesting to see how the 5 duplicated ones compare between classic and callifolio shades (bleu, gris de payne, noir, sepia, violet)

Tired......but happy I guess....:rolleyes:

indeed :embarrassed_smile:

Those look closer to their website, except the lilac, violet, caramel/orange shades.

The picture I've posted shows too many blue/cyan tones. Most reds, violets and pinks are more towards red/orange than shown. Also the blues and greens show less blue tones in real life and are more towards violet or brown.

Be interesting to see how the 5 duplicated ones compare between classic and callifolio shades (bleu, gris de payne, noir, sepia, violet)

The only Callifiolio inks from the above mentioned ones are Noir and Gris de Payne; I'll see how they compare...

One thing is for sure; in general the classique inks are much lighter and less saturated compared to the callifolio line of inks as stated by Loic. The nice shading you see is a result if this!

Cheers

Michael

Those look closer to their website, except the lilac, violet, caramel/orange shades.

The picture I've posted shows too many blue/cyan tones. Most reds, violets and pinks are more towards red/orange than shown. Also the blues and greens show less blue tones in real life and are more towards violet or brown.

Be interesting to see how the 5 duplicated ones compare between classic and callifolio shades (bleu, gris de payne, noir, sepia, violet)

The only Callifiolio inks from the above mentioned ones are Noir and Gris de Payne; I'll see how they compare...

One thing is for sure; in general the classique inks are much lighter and less saturated compared to the callifolio line of inks as stated by Loic. The nice shading you see is a result if this!

Cheers

Michael

Checking these two sites, at least the names are duplicated for the 5 I mentioned above (the classic blue looked like the blue ultramarine) between Classic and Callifolio, which is why I only got 19 of the 24 Classics....and which I received today. Yeah, Loic did say they were less saturated, but could also be mixed with each other and/or between the two categories.

Edited by SamCapote

Checking these two sites, at least the names are duplicated for the 5 I mentioned above (the classic blue looked like the blue ultramarine) between Classic and Callifolio, which is why I only got 19 of the 24 Classics....and which I received today. Yeah, Loic did say they were less saturated, but could also be mixed with each other and/or between the two categories.

So the classics are less saturated than the Callifolio, but both made by the same company? I expected that the classics would be the cheaper thinner version, but they are 3.8 Euro/30ml in a jar vs 4 Euro/50ml in a packet for the Callifolio. I'm interested to hear more about what you think of both...

I think it is more a marketing/demand thing. They charged me the same price for the packets of classic as they did for callifolio. I'm working with them tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my order today. Total 14 colors of them. Mostly blue. I just put the "Bleu Equinoxe (5)"into my pen. I have no idea about its name. But the ink is really extraordinary in terms of feathering non-feathering and lubrication. Beautiful color and shading too. :clap1:

C-H

Edited by lunawing

But the ink is really extraordinary in terms of feathering and lubrication.

Feathering, or lack of feathering? Some of the colors appeared to feather considerably in one of the earliest views from FPN, particularly Andrinople.

I'm suppressing my urge to buy some Callifolio ink, but a good review from any of you may push me over the edge. Not that I'd mind that, if the ink was worth it. Could this be the next Iroshizuku ink (fabulous & everybody wants it)? Also, which would you prefer, generally--Akkerman, Callifolio or Waterman?

But the ink is really extraordinary in terms of feathering and lubrication.

Feathering, or lack of feathering? Some of the colors appeared to feather considerably in one of the earliest views from FPN, particularly Andrinople.

I'm suppressing my urge to buy some Callifolio ink, but a good review from any of you may push me over the edge. Not that I'd mind that, if the ink was worth it. Could this be the next Iroshizuku ink (fabulous & everybody wants it)? Also, which would you prefer, generally--Akkerman, Callifolio or Waterman?

I mean non-feathering. Sorry for the confusion. It doesn't feather even on cheap 20lb copy paper used in my office. It writes with a crisp line. Very impressing. Color wise, the Bleu Equinoxe (5) looks very close to Legal Lapis on my note. Blue-black with a little teal tone. I am not able to speak of the performance of other colors now. It might take a while for me to go through all these 14 inks.

My favorite ink is Noodler. Next by the Diamine. Callifolio ink looks very promising to me so far.

By the way, does anyone know why there is no green inks in Callifolio line?

• 1 year later...

Can one of you tell how fluid/wet it is, compared to e.g. Diamine/Sheaffer/waterman ?

Everything is impermanent.

Can one of you tell how fluid/wet it is, compared to e.g. Diamine/Sheaffer/waterman ?

I'm not good at giving an objective answer to that, but I would compare it to Waterman/Montblanc ink quality in terms of flow. I forget how fast drying it is in comparison. Maybe I'll drag some out and test it again. Any colors you were thinking of in particular?