What Is The Best Brown Ink In The Market?

dudaymd

In trying different browns all the time, I find I like different ones in different pens. One stead fast ink has always come out on top has been Noodlers Walnut. Walnut has consistently been good no mater the pen. But I have only scratched the surface of whats out there.

More inks are needed to make a full on statement of favorites...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JefferyS

• amarjit

• Parker Quink Turquoise

• Sandy1

I never liked brown until I discovered Waterman Havana. Good flow, well behaved and it shades.

The Iroshizuku one is also nice, but much darker and more chocolatey.I discovered that at a pen meet when someone loaded that into his pen.

There's so many browns, and variations of brown that I don't think you're gonna pin this one down to a "best" ink. I do think the best waterproof brown out there is #41, rich, dark, appropriate for pretty much anything and waterproof. But that's not all there is to brown inks, there are colors like the highly shading Golden Brown, the fantastic looking Red-Browns, you'll hear alot of "favorite" browns but best?? I'm not sure there is such a thing.

Noodler's #41 Brown... a deep, rich, full brown color. No red undertones like Waterman's Havana Brown. Smooth writing and beautiful!

I agree with him, It's the only brown I have/ever tried :P :D

any brown from diamine is a great brown (Saddle Brown and Chocolate being my favs)... well, all except golden-brown -that one looks like baby doo-doo.

There's so many browns, and variations of brown that I don't think you're gonna pin this one down to a "best" ink.

Emphasis mine

I agree, brown has such subtle differences there's no way you can say there's "a" definitive one. I really need to get my hands on the Iro browns but at current I like Diamine's in general and Herbin's Terre de Fue. "Terre" and Diamine Rustic Brown being highlights for me.

Noodlers 41 and FPN Manuscript. I haven't tired many others because I'm so happy with these.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

Noodlers 41 and FPN Manuscript. I haven't tired many others because I'm so happy with these.

Same.

FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown has a reddish undertone, while #41 is deep and dark. Both bulletproof.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

Noodler's FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown. My favorite used to be Private Reserve Copper Burst, but the ink changed color on me, so I can't recommend it.

I second Noodler's FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown. Love the color, and it works well in all my pens!

I would second on those that have already mentioned Noodler's Walnut.

Reasonably good flow, shades on broader nibs, near bulletproof and the colour....deep dark brown (black brown).

Edited by antidote3

I'd no more love just one kind of brown ink than drink only one kind of wine.

I own dozens from common to special editions. Never met one I didn't like. However, the lighter, watery ones gather dust while I actually use the darker, richer versions.

For what it's worth, my current BBI (Best Brown Ink) is #41 Brown. It is a trophy ink better than a trophy spouse because it's beautiful but never misbehaves!

These days it's J. Herbin Lie de The, Diamine Chocolate Brown, and Noodler's #41 Brown. I like the first two in stubs and flex nibs while #41 lends the most color to a finer line.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

These "best" questions are impossible to answer. It's subjective. Favorites, sure, but there is no "best". It's also a good idea to define what characteristics you like in a color. Do you like a dark chocolate brown? Something lighter like a toffee or coffee? Something redder?

I shall put in another vote for Waterman Havana Brown. For something a little less red, and a tad darker, I also like Noodler's Walnut.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

• 2 months later...

Noodler's Walnut.

Very professional looking and stands out in the business world.

Nervous? No, I'm just thinking...

My favourite is Parker Quink Brown.It is out of production but still available on E bay from a fellow in Greece.

Edited by Parker Quink Turquoise

I just loaded up a few pens with Parker Quink washable brown and I really like it. A very nice vintage watercolor look.