Montgomery pens

josh1990

they are pretty slow and rude at montgomery pens .switched to swisher every single person knowledgable and gr8 orders get to you quickly and correct

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• sdonahue

• Ghost Plane

• Left FPN

Wow. I wish I had read this a week ago.

I ordered 2 Phileas fin nibs that are set to be deliverd today. They are supposed to be new. I will post again when they get here regarding thier condition.

I ordered from them because I wanted new Phileases with F nibs which are no longer made. The chance to get a new one was too tempting...

Both came in as advertised. Well pleased with the transaction. It seems to be the only place left where you can get a Phileas in anything other than <M> nib.

I got my Pelikan Niagara Falls through them on a ebay auction. The transaction was smooth and professional. Good price to :embarrassed_smile:

"Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope."

Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray.

• 2 months later...

Well, I see nothing has changed at Montgomery Pens. Very nasty, rude, and in my case, not honest.

I bought a Cross Century 10K gold filled rollerball/felt tip pen from them. Perfect pen, beautiful. Not inexpensive, but replaced one somebody smashed. Sometimes they have that old item you want, sometimes the price is ridiculously high.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I bought a lot of ballpoints from them back around 2006 or 2007. My experience was pretty much the same as indicated throughout the thread. I liked that I could get what I felt were decent deals on some discontinued Parker Frontiers (love those ballpoints) and some hard to find Vectors. I didn't like that I got sent a dozen Jotters instead of 3 Vectors and that my efforts to point out the mistake were met with slow and rude emails. I eventually did get my Vectors and sent the Jotters back.

They're often the only place with specific NOS pens (though checking users here is probably worth doing first). If you want something that they have, I personally would find it worth doing business with them. Their fountain pen stock does generally seem overpriced to me based on what I have wanted recently and checked out, though.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I would say beware of any dealer who charges your CC before the item is shipped.

Montgomerypens.com is montgomerystationery on eBay: check out the me page on eBay for montgomerystationery to see the comments about montgomerypens.com, "We just opened up a New Web Site" and "Please come Visit us at http://www.montgomerypens.com/" for evidence of the connection even though this seller will try to say that they are not the same when you confront the seller about the price difference for your item on one site versus the other site. In addition, the prices for the same item on eBay can be higher or lower on montgomerypens.com. For example, at the writing of this post, a Parker Sonnet Amber Chinese lacquer ballpoint pen sells for $175.00 on eBay ("PARKER SONNET CHINESE LAQ AMBER BALPOINT PEN") and for $149.00 on montgomerypens.com ("Parker Sonnet Chinese Laque Amber Ballpoint Pen"). For this Parker Sonnet, priority mail shipping on eBay is $6.75 and on montgomerypens.com you can get free USPS shipping (most likely first class or parcel post -- not stated) or select priority mail shipping for $14.95!

For some of their listings, they even use the same pictures on both sites: PARKER SONNET CHINESE LAQUE VIS FOUNTAIN PEN on eBay for $295 and Parker Sonnet Chinese Lacquer Vision Fonce (added for difference???) Fountain Pen Medium Nib, Broad Nib, and Fine Nib on montgomerypen.com for $275. If you want a Parker Duofold Marbled Green Ballpoint Pen then you can buy it from montgomerystationery on eBay for $250 and from the seller's other web site montgomerypens.com for $450 and, like the Parker Sonnet Chinese Lacque Vison Fountain pen, each listing uses the same picture!!

So, to summarize, if you choose to do business with this seller, make sure that you do your research first so that you will be able to select the better of their two prices.

Edited by elysee

They bought (very cheaply) a Limited Edition Parker from me on eBay and relisted it on their web site at almost double the price. Good luck to them. However, they refused to give me any Feedback (against their policy, apparently). So I blocked them from bidding on any more of my sales.

Occasionally, you will come across a seller who believes that their much higher level of Feedback gives them a distinct price advantage against other sellers and will do anything to protect it. There are people out there who are quite willing to pay a very much higher price for what they perceive as 'peace of mind' in dealing with people they perceive as reliable sellers.

I was like that when I started collecting, but I soon learnt to use other ways to discriminate and to look for bargains.

I think that sums up Montgomery Pens from my experience,if you understand what I'm saying.

Regards Richard

Current users:

Striped Conklin Nozac (F/XF nib)

Tortoiseshell Sailor Magellan (F nib)

Grey Levenger Seas Sheaffer (F nib)

Delta Dolcevita (Stub nib)

When I am trying to figure out the market value of a pen I want or am looking to sell, I check their eBay auctions and divide by 2.

Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,

Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I.

Based on my experience, that's a good guide.

Regards Richard

Current users:

Striped Conklin Nozac (F/XF nib)

Tortoiseshell Sailor Magellan (F nib)

Grey Levenger Seas Sheaffer (F nib)

Delta Dolcevita (Stub nib)

Has anyone ordered from Montgomery pens before? Any good/bad comments on them.

I just wanted to know because thier prices are very low, but I like to check around before I order anything. wink.gif

Hello! Five or more years ago, Montgomery Pens on eBay offered good deals, although, sometimes, pens didn't arrive with complete packaging. I got a great deal on a green Waterman Edson fountain pen, but there was no warranty booklet or outer box.

These days, it seems Montgomery has decided that much of what they sell is "collectible" and, hence, they want blood from a stone. I think their current prices on some pens are way out of line. It would be better to shop at isellpens or Goldspot for good prices on good pens.

Good luck!

R.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Eh. They were the only ones at the time who had a Waterman Phil in black, so I went with them. Price was high. Pen arrived okay. Probably won't shop there again.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Montgomerystationery is not only a bad seller but it is also a bad buyer.

He bought from me on Ebay an Edson green FP in mint condition but with the case damage and it is write and specify in the description... he receive the pen and said me that he want a brand new pen with a brand new box.... but id he don't read the description the guilty are from him....!! :headsmack:

He returned me the pen and I specify to not declare a value to avoid me cutom duties in italy... but he declare a full value and I will pay over 70 USD for fees..!!!

Avoid absolutely this seller...!! :ninja:

The New Best Limited Edition fountain pen store... ckick here:

The Pen Lover Boutique

• 2 weeks later...

Good News about Montgomery! I was sad that someone beat me to the OMAS T2 Milord that Nibs.com had for 695 USD. Heartbroken, and longing an "old style" (pre-LV takeover) Milord in something other than fancy plastic, I searched the web and found the Montgomery Pens had the OMAS Milord in Sterling Silver. Hmmmm Piston fill... non-metallic section... pre- Louis Vuiton... precious metal body and cap - it checked all the right boxes. And then I found this thread on the FPN. I was hesitant to order after all the bad press I had read. Now, to be clear, I am not disputing any comments that have preceded this entry. If customers have issues with venders, then THIS is the place to discuss them. I however have had no such unpleasant experiences. Montgomery was responsive, and actually very nice. My biggest concern was that the Silver Milord may be composed of very thin sheet sterling over precious resin (plastic), and that it may dent very easily, like the Visconti Metropolis (watch out - VERY soft silver on that one!). I asked Montgomery (via Email) about their return policy as I had concerns about the durability of the silver. The individual who read my Email personally examined the pen and wrote back very promptly to inform me that the silver appeared to be more than just thin sheet metal. So I took the plunge as it was priced very closely to the T2 at Nibs. The pen arrived in only four days, and boy am I pleased! It was well packed, and truly IS an old OMAS. Exactly what I was looking for. The Sterling appears to be Rhodium plated for durability and to retard tarnishing. Its truly a wonderful pen, and I would recommend Montgomery to anyone who is seeking an OMAS that is out of production. The box in which the pen came has an original sticker on it showing a retail price of 890 USD. This seems appropriate for a piston fill Milord with CAST Sterling Silver body and cap. To get it at much less than that was a treat. And again - Montgomery did a fine job with customer service. So, if they re the only source for a pen available no-place else, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them. It all worked out great for me!

Edited by Bultaco

When I am trying to figure out the market value of a pen I want or am looking to sell, I check their eBay auctions and divide by 2.

If you're talking about brass threaded jotter sets from the 70's divide by at least 5.

• 2 months later...

My experience? Quick to charge my credit card, slow to ship my pen, acted like I was bothering them when I followed up. Wouldn't rush into doing business with them again.

Colour is its own reward - N. Finn

• 7 months later...

They sell overpriced item. Very very high than it should be. In the picture of the auction is a stock photo, but you will never know what the actual one you will get. Never response back my message. Becareful to buy from them.

eBay insider.