The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Will An Osmiroid Nib Fit In An Esterbrook J

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Auggie

Auggie

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2011 - 21:05

Did I read somewhere on another forum topic that an Osmiroid nib will fit in an Esterbrook J? Sorry if I am totally out to lunch. Would an Esterbrook with the right nib be a good sketching pen?
Thanks for your patience, I'm new to Esterbrooks.
JH

Sponsored Content

#2 RedSox04

RedSox04

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2011 - 22:02

I have both pens with me right now....Yes! they do--I just inserted a gold osmoroid italic oblique medium into a broken J--it screws it great!

How do you like that oblique medium?
To hold a pen is to be at war
-Voltaire

#3 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2011 - 22:11

The esterbrook J takes the screw in Osmiroids and the same 14ct Burnham nibs.

#4 fpman

fpman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:55

No one else has mentioned it yet, but there are two models of Osmiroid nibs. The older ones are the ones that fit Esterbrooks - they look similar to Esterbrooks (except for the actual nib). The newer Osmiroids don't fit and look nothing like Esterbooks.
Rick B.

#5 fpman

fpman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2011 - 22:55

Take a look at this website.I believe it belongs to a FPN member. It shows the difference between the old and the new nibs.

Osmiroid Nibs
Rick B.

#6 PDW

PDW

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,235 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 22:50

I know about Osmiroid and Esterbrook interchangeability, but Burnham? Are their nibs available NOS or s/h, and did they make pens to take them - in which case which Burnham models should we be looking out for to achieve three-way interchangeability?

#7 Silvermink

Silvermink

Texture Junkie

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 February 2011 - 23:16

Venus made nibs that will fit Esties, too.
http://twitter.com/silvermink
Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

OMAS Italia '90 - Aurora Blue // Montblanc 14 - Visconti Purple

#8 fatswimmies

fatswimmies

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:51

Just screwed in an osmiroid italic oblique nib into my estie SJ. Yup, the old threaded osmiroid nibs screw right into esterbrooks.

#9 estie1948

estie1948

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:54

No one else has mentioned it yet, but there are two models of Osmiroid nibs. The older ones are the ones that fit Esterbrooks - they look similar to Esterbrooks (except for the actual nib). The newer Osmiroids don't fit and look nothing like Esterbooks.

Yes!

-David (Estie).

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.
A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

#10 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 12:34

Take a look at this website.I believe it belongs to a FPN member. It shows the difference between the old and the new nibs.Osmiroid Nibs

Site is full of spamjacking ads. Dozens of windows open up whether you want them to or not.

But yes...Osmiroid screw-in nibs fit well in Esterbrook J-pens!

#11 vorpal

vorpal

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 14:32

I use an Esterbook SJ with an Osmiroid Copperplate nib for sketching--works wonderfully.

#12 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2016 - 18:25

Did I read somewhere on another forum topic that an Osmiroid nib will fit in an Esterbrook J? Sorry if I am totally out to lunch. Would an Esterbrook with the right nib be a good sketching pen?
Thanks for your patience, I'm new to Esterbrooks.
JH

Ced Nocon is a graphic artist who has used (and still does, last I heard) Esterbrook dip and fountain pens in his work. 048 and 128 dippers, and 9048 and 9128s in fountain pens. He has a website (no affiliation), http://cqcounter.com...dnocon.com.html ,  

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#13 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:59

Another option, I recall someone putting a Pelikan nib into his Esterbrook.

I don't remember which Pelikan nib it was from; M150 or M200 series.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#14 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,875 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2016 - 01:35

M400.  The steel band around the Pelikan nib collar protrudes, but I was able to write with the pen.  I also tried an M600 broad nib in a J.  It wrote.  Those two are 14K nibs.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#15 Estragon

Estragon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 03:39

Really happy with the Osmiroid flex/copperplate nib that I have installed in a Dollar Pen. The gold plating – wash, really – was starting to come off so I just polished it away. The underlying steel matches the pen better anyway. It's far more flexible than any of the standard production Esterbrook nibs, and I usually reach for it whenever I'm looking for an XXF hairline.

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Metal Trim! —> Sheaffer: Jr. Truncated (blue & black); OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, green, ebonized pearl); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (black ink vue, persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal, Webster, etc. (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Sponsored Content

|