Best Cross Pen?

freshcinnamon

I love my Townsends... Especially my Lapis Lazuli! Both the gold and metal nibs... Awesome! They're a true pleasure to write with.

My 150 anniversary pen is beautiful, but the cartridge doesn't fit well enough and the converter is too long so that it won't fit the barrel.... Does anyone know if it was supposed to take a special piston converter?

I bought this pen used, but in pristine condition. It is only once that I attempted the green c/c ( and also the Orange) that I notived a problem....

Edited by gracespens

Pen Nutzee

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonB55198

• tenney

• RMN

• adamselene

anyone have theTennis Pen ? The Clip is tacky? Gaudy? But the Pen is really distinctive. it's one of the 2 pens as a my hundred and 20 or so that I have deferred inking.

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Hmm . . . you guys are making me wonder about my pen habit. I own a few Cross FPs, but I honestly don't remember which models they are. When I purchased them new (roughly 1997 - 2002), I got whatever caught my eye and matched my wallet. I know there are two ATXs - one light brown (medium) and one black (broad). But I also have a marbled green plastic item whose name I don't recall. I got it because it was green and pretty and wrote nicely, especially at the discounted price. So saving the box and such was a no go.

There are two others that are more "premium". One is a sort of emerald green with gold flecks. It's fat (compared to the traditional Cross ballpens and pencils), the same size as the plastic beast, but heavier because it is metal. NIb is 18K two tone, so aTownsend perhaps? The other metal one is very slim and enameled in a dark gray with black swirling. Love the look and the nib, but harder to use because of the narrow diameter. Nib only indicates M - Century classic or what?

Lurking somewhere around the house are a blue Dubai and a chrome Bailey, but they are obviously more current items and are knockabouts.

Anyone recognize the two nicer ones I described? And how disturbed should I be that I don't remember the models and names. FWIW, this amnesia is not limited to Cross. I've had to look up too many when they are revisited. Prolly a good thing that I no longer have the pen budget I once did . . .

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

Okay, did the homework - the plastic beastie is a Solo (appropriate given the price at the time. Not bad, just unremarkable other than it was green (guess what is my favorite color). It was inexpensive enough that if I killed it or had it stolen I wouldn't die. The two metal body ones inspired more attachment and thereby fear of loss or damage.

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

The emerald green one with gold flecks sound like the Lapiz Jade Townsend, which is one of the more collectible and valuable Cross's along with the Lapiz Lazuli which is blue with gold fleck.

The slim metal one sounds like a Century II. Does it have a small protruding cap band? If it does, it is a Century II. If not, then Century (classic).

Edited by max dog

Thanks. Yep it's the Jade :) Kinda sad that it's a tad more limited and I still couldn't remember. The grey one is the Alhambra Mica C II. But they do write well and look good doing it.

Just threw some JH Stormy Grey in an empty cart and installed in the Solo. Started right up :) Now I'm trying to determine why it got pushed aside. I already knew I had ink color ADD. Looks like I've got pen ADD too. There's a reason I wag around roughly 10 pens at a time (one for each finger ??). Does anyone else suffer from this?

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The very best must be the Peerless 125. It is the most expensive Cross do, but mine (Obsidian Black) medium nib (it writes fine 'cos it's a Sailor nib) is just about the best writer I have of any brand. Hats off to Cross.. After that I would recommend either the Townsend or Appoge.

• 2 weeks later...

No price limit!!

In the market to buy a pen from each different famous pen brand biggrin.gif

Which Cross pen do you think is the best?

thanks lots!!!!

Cross Century is one of the best as it also has the classic screw in type of convertor orange colored one, and does not leak EVER. The cross Century has quite a few finishes that are beautiful.

I'd vote for Apogee.

It's an incredibly smooth writer. Best pen I own.

One problem with it though: after a while, the cap doesn't stay securely posted anymore.

Much as I like the original Century FP, and much as I'd really like to get the latest Classic Century (formerly Spire) incarnation, I have to say that hands down Cross's best effort to date has been the Solo/Radiance.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Never had my hands on a Solo. They have the Namiki nibs, like the better Verves...

Would like to try one, one day..

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Never had my hands on a Solo. They have the Namiki nibs, like the better Verves...

Would like to try one, one day..

D.ick

Solo was why I started looking at Pilots. I was impressed by the Solo's nib and then I found out it was actually made by Pilot/Namiki.

• 1 year later...

That's what I heard too.

Nibs for the Verve and the Solo were made by Pilot/Namiki, back in the day. At least the gold ones.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Solo is a nice pen, with a gold plated steel nib. I have a few. The nibs are frictiion fit, and I tried a couple of Parker Sonnet 18K nibs in the solo. They worked better in the Solo than they did in the Sonnet.

A more impressive Cross pen is the Townsend. I have one of the chrome ones with a gold plated nib, and it is very good.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Its very difficult to answer which is the best cross ? But if you want a pen which has a "personality" I would recommend a Townsend .Its neither skinny nor too big and available in so many finishes and also in steel and gold nibs and of course a collectible item .

I stumbled upon the Cross Solo by accident and loved it the moment I wrote with it. The Solo's Fine nib is the smoothest Fine Nib I have used. I liked the balance and feel of the pen and the slightly thicker than normal grip section suited me extremely well. I was pleasantly surprised to learn somewhat later that it was made in Japan by Namiki.

It may be a non-expensive pen but I would recommend it to anyone looking for a bullet proof smooth writing Cross FP.

By Century Classic do you mean the old ones from the 80's or 90's? Century Classic is a little ambiguous now as Cross referred to the original Century as the Classic Century after the Century II models were introduced in 96, but then recently they re-introduced the fountain pen version of the Classic Century (which is essentially the Spire) which is different from the original 80/90's Classic Century fountain pen.

The 80/90s pens sourced their nibs from Pilot, and they are ultra smooth.

All the current Cross nibs I believe, except the Peerless (Sailor sourced), are all made in-house (ie Cross plant in China).

Edited by max dog