3.9 inches Wahl ID !?

Epictete92

I concur with your analysis; unfortunately, I only have the portions of the catalog(s) that have been posted, so I cannot benefit from the additional data. The terminological anomaly, then, is WE's, for sticking 'Clasp' on a pen model for which, perhaps, they just couldn't come up with a better name.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• david i

• Epictete92

• kirchh

• Maja

he terminological anomaly, then, is WE's,

Terminology anomaly. I rather like that.

And, it is a most poignant expression. After all, how much of the discussion and debate revolving around Wahl Pens stems entirely from Wahl's habit to embrace terminology anomalies? ;-)

david

But, i also agree the two Brazilian Green pens shown above (the initial pen and the gold seal i referenced) might have a bit of an "early" character and might represent a style produced before the catalog page.

One wonders, could these (esp the GS) have been manufactured while wahl was (perhaps) switching from GS Equi-Poised (or equi-poised-like) pens shown in the 1930 Ads to the non-GS thinner Poiseds shown in the 1932 catalog. 

David, the quote I snipped from your last post is the heart of it for me.

Care to box? Lets talk boxes for a while. The box in the your other picture

http://www.vacumania.com/penteech/wahlgreengoldpursepen.jpg

was used starting in 1930. And assuming the pen and pencil set are in their original box (admittedly unconfirmed unless you might know the history of that set as being in its original box) the pens in it would have been available as early as the Fall of in 1930. I do not think that style box was used in 1932.

One more thing. Jean Elie's pen was is in a French box (I have plenty of French Ads thanks to Max Davis) , that show this very box in ads dated 1930 and 1931.

post-4-1161681058.jpg

I don't know if we will ever sort out by deductive reasoning what Wahl-Eversharp meant by "clasp" and what they called a "clip" from one picture, but they did use the term clasp for other pens than the purse pens and, if memory serves, (and it serves less and less these days), these terms were not used to describe pens held by a clasp. Although Daniel may be right about that too at this point. But for me it is that Jean-Elie's pen IS a side clip and all the pics of purse pens and their description says they are not.

So do we agree to dis-agree on the date? What else is new? I go with 1930-31. Purse shmurse.

Yes we are having fun now!

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Like i said, the hospital gives me a good deal on high strength Motrin.

The boxes and the dates on ads in which you've seen those boxes of course are worthy data. What is not clear is what can be concluded from the data.

Part of it stems from the notion that limited snippets of info do not convey the whole continuum of a production era.

If we only had the 1931 Doric ads (no 1932 catalog, no 1932-39 ads), might we wonder if Doric was a 1931-only product? Maybe. If we only had one of those Sat Eve Post 1930 Deco Band flat top ads, what would we make of a Deco Band showing up in a 1927-style box?

I do routinely find Vacs in 1944-style in the wild that have Boxes shown only ~ 1940. What to conclude what to conclude? :-)

IF we accept the big Wahl catalog we tend to reference is a 1932 product, and we accept those boxes are shown in 1930-31 references, then we have many possibilities to consider, some of which overlap. let's consider a couple.

Purse pens are shown in the 1932 catalog but could've been produced for a couple years at either end around this???

or...

Purse-pen-sized Poiseds (both GS and non GS) could've been issued before the Purse Pen term was coined? How would we know?

I do believe there are purse pen variants out there not shown in that one 1932 catalog

best

david

Perhaps it's a French-market variant? Don't forget that the pen, as well as the box, are apparently French-market.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe